Rust...East coasters, and Mid-Westerners...suggestions?

mingez

Okay, my TJ having originally been in Ohio, it's always had a bit of some rust on the frame.

Curious as to how you all treat it. Since I'm in a relatively dry climate, it's not too big of a problem. I understand there's no cure, but a spray on inhibitor, and something to cover it with (ie rust preventative paint) is/are along the lines of what I'm inquiring about.

I've searched the internet, but I'd like to hear from the Jeepz peepz on this.

Last edited:

POR makes excellent products for rust treatment and prevention.

I'm originally from Ohio, and I've got a bit of rust on my frame, too! Mudwoman would be very interested in the Jeepz cures. :lol: :lol:

I used Eastwood's rust inhibiting paint on my frame when I did my CJ rebuild. It was the same cost as POR15 and what I read said it was just as good. The reason I went with Eastwood was that it was not light sensitive, and therefore did not require a top cot.

I have got some bad rust underneath on frame and body....anybody have a preventative that will slow it down?

i've heard to use POR15 also, pricey but good.

my rust problem (fixed w/ welding in new floor):
image-missing.png

That looks like bad news on a uni-body.
Mingez, Wire wheel the frame then use one of the POR 15 products or maybe even just some Rustoleum depending on how bad it is.

I used a paint that is called Chassis Saver. It moisture hardens like POR. It did not require the multiple steps like POR. It worked great for me, wire brushed the bad rust, wiped down with paint thinner, and painted it on. I got it at Tractor Supply.

the only place my frame has rot is right in the back where the shackles hook up to the frame

Back