I Love my Wife!

Ok, so all week long she's been working on the taxes (both for this year and last year's that we never filed for some unexplained reason). Last night we went to dinner and were talking about what to do with our refund (which we've never really gotten before, except once when we got enough on Federal to pay off the state), and she asked how much a lift costs for the Jeep......I nearly choked on my sirloin!!:shock: I told her it depends on the lift and who puts it on. After we got home I got to looking around in my catalogs and showed her the RE 2.5" lift. I figured I could do it myself, but I simply don't have the time, tools, or space to do it right, so I'll have to pay a local 4x4 shop to do it. I'll check with them in the next few weeks to see what they charge for labor to do an install. It'll still be a few months before I get it put on, because part of the deal is that I have to install a new chainlink fence around the yard for her and the dog. (Hmm...that sentence didn't sound quite right, but I'll leave it for posterity).

Anyway, I have a question or two (and will have more as the time draws near): I'm getting some quick discos to go on with the lift, any suggestions on what brand? Anything else I need to think about with a 2.5" lift?

Doing any mods to my Jeep is always a source of contention here. Consider yourself blessed ;)

As for quick disco's, JKS is worth the extra $$$. Re's standard set may be a bit noisy and are a little tough to line up when reconnecting - but they work. Upgrading isn't necessary but the JKS are definately nicer and I think well worth it.

Check Jeepinoutfitters for pricing

Well, honestly, she was never totally thrilled about me getting the Jeep in the first place. Mostly because I traded off my fully loaded Camry to get it. She eventually warmed up to the Jeep, and does enjoy going to the lake in it. But, yeah, anytime I do any mods, it's like pulling teeth to get her to agree to it, which is why I was so shocked that she even brought up the idea of going ahead with the lift. She said she knew I'd been wanting the lift for over 2 years now, and that everytime I thought I was close to getting it, something would come up that required the finances to go elsewhere.

Anything I need to consider besides the quick discos? I'm going with the standard lift, not the extreme duty lift, as I doubt I'll ever get into much heavy rock crawling or anything like that. There aren't any extras I need to get that aren't included in the lift, are there? Is the RE lift pretty much a plug and play lift kit? Are the shocks included in the kit decent enough to run for a while and will they handle all the flex of being disconnected?

Jeepinoutfitters doesn't list a JKS QD for the YJ......their lift kits are about $60 higher than Quadratec, too. Still shopping......

Ok, just noticed that the RE kit comes with front sway bar disconnects.....what is the difference/advantage over these compared to JKS?

I think you should spend the money on the Rubicon Express Surrey conversion kit. You know you want to.

Those dico'd work just fine. If you dont plan on running anything bigger then 31's then that kit will work great. Complete and will probably last a long time. But you know for another extra 30.00 you could get the 4".....ohhhhlaaalaaa and go w/ 33's...........PLUS what is (surrey)????????????????

TwistedCopper said:
Re's standard set may be a bit noisy and are a little tough to line up when reconnecting - but they work. Upgrading isn't necessary but the JKS are definately nicer and I think well worth it.

As for the pricing, Qte3c is $1.02 cheaper... I don't think you factored in shipping and the "shipping surcharge", but what shocks do they come with? Jeepin lists Doesch Tech 3000 (pretty decent shock).

That kit used to be $550 to the door... it has gone up over $100 :shock:
I guess they are doing well for themselves :(

I tell you what... looking through Quadratec's catalog, that 3.5" black diamond kit looks like a nice deal...

I guess it's just the tightwad in me, but I hate to see anyone spend money to have a leafspring lift installed. That's eeeeaaaaasy money for a shop. Just think about it some more before you line up someone else to do it.

Either way, I'm glad you're finally going to lift it. I know you've been wanting to for along time!

I agree with TC about the BD lift. I haven't checked prices in a long time, but there's no need to lay down RE type coin for your application.

yjdave said:
Those dico'd work just fine. If you dont plan on running anything bigger then 31's then that kit will work great. Complete and will probably last a long time. But you know for another extra 30.00 you could get the 4".....ohhhhlaaalaaa and go w/ 33's...........PLUS what is (surrey)????????????????

image-missing.png

Surrey.

Junkpile said:
I guess it's just the tightwad in me, but I hate to see anyone spend money to have a leafspring lift installed. That's eeeeaaaaasy money for a shop. Just think about it some more before you line up someone else to do it.

Either way, I'm glad you're finally going to lift it. I know you've been wanting to for along time!

I agree with TC about the BD lift. I haven't checked prices in a long time, but there's no need to lay down RE type coin for your application.

Well, I'd love to install it myself, but as I stated before, I simply do not have the time, space, or tools to do it right now. I'm working nearly 80 hours a week, and on Sundays I have too much other stuff to do around the house, as well as stuff to do for my mom. When I get home, I'm so worn out I can barely keep my eyes open long enough to stuff a little grub in the piehole before hitting the sack for a few hours of inner eyelid study.

I guess the reason I'm putting out the money for a RE kit is because they offer the 2.5" lift, and BD only shows either a 1.5 or a 3.5. 1.5" doesn't seem worth the effort, and I don't want the driveline and other associated hassles of a 3.5" lift. I want to be able to abuse the lift when I feel like it and also have it last a long time. Right now, I don't do anything terribly abusive to the suspension, limiting my wheeling mostly to mud and sand....but that's only because I don't have a suspension that will flex to my satisfaction for the type of wheeling I want to do. I can't see trying to crawl over logs, rocks, gullies and such with a stock suspension that will likely leave me stranded because the tires won't touch the ground or that will fail me and cost eventual money anyway.

I really can't justify the 3.5" lift, either, as I have absolutely no plans to go with bigger tires. When I win the lottery, I'll lay out the cash for bigger tires, bigger lift, bigger axles, bigger motor, and bigger fun, but for now, I'm more than happy with 2.5" and 31's.

south442 said:
I think you should spend the money on the Rubicon Express Surrey conversion kit. You know you want to.

Mmmmmmmm......Surrey!!!:D

Mingez would be too jealous if someone else owned a Surrey.:(

TwistedCopper said:
As for the pricing, Qte3c is $1.02 cheaper...

For the lift, or the JKS Discos?

I've always had good service with Quadratec, any reason not to expect the same with Jeepinoutfitters? I've never heard of them.

Sparky-Watts said:
For the lift, or the JKS Discos?

I've always had good service with Quadratec, any reason not to expect the same with Jeepinoutfitters? I've never heard of them.
For the lift. I wasn't taking the disconnects into consideration. If the shocks are comperable than go with Quadratec if you are already comfortable with them. If Jeepin is offering a better shock for the same $$$ then yeah, Jason is very good to deal with too.

As for a 3.5" kit having driveline issues, you won't have any if it includes a TC drop and shims. I had no trouble with my 4 banger 5 sp 92 YJ at 4" using shims and a TC drop (supplied with the 3.5" BDS kit).

Ok, so if the prices were identical, which would you get? The Black Diamond or the RE? I'm talking quality here. Never mind how much lift it gives, just which is better quality.

I can't compare the two only by quality. OME is awesome quality, but I wouldn't put that stuff under my Jeep. You shouldn't have any problems with 3.5" of lift and the four banger drivetrain. I'm not trying to sway you or anything, just don't be scared of a little more lift. That extra inch of lift might come in handy when it's time to replace those 31s;) You're wheeling is similar to mine Sparky, and I'd go with the 3.5" BDS over the standard 2.5" RE in a second.

You'll be smiling from ear to ear either way, but just consider the many options out there before you settle on something. With the additon of a BL, TJ flares, and or lift shackles you could still upgrade tire size later on with any of them.

I agree with TC and Junkpile. Mine is 3.5" with the TC drop, no shims and I currently have no issues with the drive line. You should be okay at 3.5". I would seriously look at BDS for my next kit, I would have rather had the military wrap on the springs. ;)

Back