There goes my wheel!

mudwoman

I had to jump on here while Mud is at work because I know he would spend most of this story beating himself up for not tightening my lug nuts (he who is without sin.........). We were driving to work today- Mud in his Jeep, me in mine, yakking away on our radios, when I noticed my left front wheel go flying past me- I had a second to think "Wow- there goes my wheel- pretty funny", when my Jeep leaned and sparks started flying. We were on a four lane divided highway and my tire went flying across both lanes, through a deep ditch median and right into an Avalanche from Florida- broke some of his plastic stuff. Meanwhile, Mud is yakking away about the forestry service (bless his heart) and I'm yelling "My wheel fell off- Get out of my way, I have no brakes!!!" We both came to an uneventful stop along the highway and Mud went to retrieve my tire and talk to the Florida guy about his broken plastic car. Seems that guy swerved to miss my tire and lost control of his (POS) vehicle. My Jeep on the other hand, traveling at 55 on three tires and a rotor never missed a beat. Once again I am amazed at the capabilities of these vehicles, because, trust me, I am not the worlds best driver! We came home, made another pot of coffee, called our respective employers and then went back to fix it- everything is fine. Mud has gone to work and I am taking advantage to working with women who think an event like this is catastrophic and clearly deems a day off to recuperate. Mud, when you read this, pick up some beer on the way home- I love you!
And that's my exciting story of my ride to work today!

:shock: Wow, sounds like an exciting ride. Glad you're ok.

mudwoman said:
I had to jump on here while Mud is at work because I know he would spend most of this story beating himself up for not tightening my lug nuts (he who is without sin.........).

And don't worry about beating him up for not tightening your lugnuts...we'll do that for you. :D

south442 said:
.............And don't worry about beating him up for not tightening your lugnuts...we'll do that for you. :D

As well you should...........deservedly so!!!:redface: :redface: :redface: I'm thinking of my earlier post ("Wheel Stud Surprise") and the warning I posted. 'Bout all I can say is do what I say and not what I do.

Quite an interesting morning, anyway. Proud as he$$ of mudwoman.....no panic, she wrassled that YJ to a stop like a pro. $170+ to replace the plastic piece on the Avalanche the tire hit (expensive plastic!!!!!!). That figures to somewhere around $35 per lug nut.........ANOTHER expensive lesson.

Mrs. Mud:

Fine driving, even better attitude. Enjoy the well deserved beer that Mr. Mud had better not forget ;)

Mr. Mud:
No sense beating yourself up - you're human, just like the rest of us.

Glad everyone's OK and the damage was minimal!

Whew!!! i got scared just reading that story. At 55mph, that's still pretty fast!

Just like everyone has already said...glad your okay!!!

Mud, I felt it was important to clarify one thing:
"Righty tighty-lefty loosey" is in reference to the top of the item you are turning. If you turn right looking at the lower part of the lug nut you'll actually be loosening. Just an extra tutorial for your next tire change.

Mudwoman, you are awesome! A lesser driver would have caused a 50-car pileup in that situation. Mud sure picked a fine woman! So glad you're ok, and proud of you that you had the presence of mind to maintain control and keep relatively calm.

Mud, don't sweat it, bud. Stuff happens. We're all human. You're still tops in my book!! Buy that sweetheart of yours something nice, take her to dinner, and show her what she means to you. You're a lucky, lucky man to have such a level-headed honey!!

You should have told the Florida guy that you were both with the "Dept of National Homeland Transportation Highway Safety Administration Association Department" and you were conducting some field test on these "New" plastic lug nuts. Then ask him if he had time to fill out an opinion survey.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, glad your OKAY!

Are the Mud's in a "can you top this" race here? JK! Glad to here you're both OK (especially speaking as a brother/brother-in-law). Think we should all be checking those lug nuts now!

Very glad you're allright :) I've been hearing more and more people telling such horror stories, getting kind of concerned really... But wow... You know though, I've met you, don't think anything could shake you really... except perhaps that damn snake in the closet :D

Aw shucks you guys- you are too kind. But you know, it was Mud, and my son Nate, always telling me to trust myself, don't over-react, just assess what's going on and respond to that, that helped me not go all to he$$ during that situation- truth be told...... it was kind of fun. When I hooked up with the Florida guy complaining about his Avalanche and losing control just trying to avoid my errant tire, I just burst out laughing- I thought- "Buddy, you bought the wrong vehicle!!".
Thanks for all the kind words.
Not meaning to hijack this thread, Mud and I are very strongly considering moving to Mississippi- Mud is a surveyor- he builds bridges- and we could really help out with the relief effort down there. Pray that we are lead in the right direction- although we intend to keep this place- the Great Smokey Mountains will always be our home.
You guys are the best!!

Maybe it's tha fact that I'm going on 4 hours sleep since 4am, or maybe because I haven't eaten since 9:30 this morning, but that made me laugh.

Loose wheel... damn that was bad Sparky. :lol:

Back