Wrangler with a diesel

Diesels weigh a lot more than gasoline burning engines. On trails they really suck...

unless it's in a fullsize with around 2,000 lb/ft of torque...then you can go just about anywhere.

One of the coolest rock crawlers I have seen was a YJ with a 4cyl. turbo charged cummins diesel out of an old Frito Lay truck. The owner said the Jeep would snap driveshafts like they were toothpicks if he wasn't careful.

I've heard of diesels in jeeps but not very much. the only way i would think you could get a diesel engine in a jeep was from like a VW rabbit or a Frito Lay Truck like jaymz77 said.

LR

bluejeep said:
i doint want to put one in. I want to buy one that was put in by the factory. =)

I hear you there! how about the CRD from the Liberty? How hard would it be for Jeep to make that an option for the Wrangler. Hell, they put the cummins in that Jeep Rescue prototype they made! Even better how about a 5.9L Cummins stock in the Rubicon. I can dream all day long.:D

I'm told there will be a 2.8L diesel powered Wrangler offered next year ('07), but I'm not sure if it will be offered in North America.

Jason4x4 said:
I'm told there will be a 2.8L diesel powered Wrangler offered next year ('07), but I'm not sure if it will be offered in North America.
Not yet... export only :roll:

TwistedCopper said:
V8's and auto trannies are heavy too.

If you've ever taken a diesel rig off-road...you'd know what I mean. The other problem is they don't rev very high at all.

The only way it would be beneficial in a Jeep is to use a TINY deisel motor and build the s*** out of it so it would have a lot of torque AND horsepower.

I don't know about fullsize rigs and diesels going "anywhere." My '05 6.0 liter Powerstroke will get stuck in its own shadow even though it has the "FX4 Off Road Package."
The two problems I have with diesels off road are the weight and the fact that they don't spin up as quick as a gas burner. Once that turbo kicks in though, hang on to your u-joints.

redrooster said:
I don't know about fullsize rigs and diesels going "anywhere."

If that's in repsonse to what I said...read the rest of what I said as well.

88Wrangles said:
If that's in repsonse to what I said...read the rest of what I said as well.

yeah, I think that's what red meant............he was agreeing with your point. Man, I'd love to have 2000# of torque!!!!!!!!

Ya, my point was that if you have enough torque then a diesel will go anywhere. The problem is they won't come from the factory with that kind of power...so heavy modifications would be necessary to make it a descent trail rig.

I see your point, but having an engine that makes that much torque would require even more weight in the drivetrain and chassis. It would effectively be more like a log skidder than a Jeep.
The way things are going in the tuner performance market, we may not be that far away from seeing a 4 cylinder diesel that has a good power to weight ratio and will spin up like a gas burner. An example might be the turbo diesel Jetta engine.

redrooster said:
An example might be the turbo diesel Jetta engine.

The VW TDI Jetta engine is a bawlsy little powerplant. It is pretty high maintenance though and what it makes up for in torque(247#) it losses in HP(just over 100?). Sure getting 50 MPG on the trail would be nice but not a neccesity. I would still push for the Cummins 4BT (3.9L 4cyl) and "build the s*** out of it," so it has light weight components, i.e. carbonfiber oil pan and mounts etc., and high power out put.

It seems to me we are talking about OLD generation diesels: to look at something more modern here is the link to get VM MOTORI, the Italian manufacturer of 2.8 & 3.0 diesel engines installed on Jeep Liberty (Cherokee in Europe), Grand Cherokee and, I HOPE SO MUCH, 2007 Wrangler 2 and 4-door. All the info everyone needs to know:

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/index.jsp

ValTicinO said:
It seems to me we are talking about OLD generation diesels: to look at something more modern here is the link to get VM MOTORI, the Italian manufacturer of 2.8 & 3.0 diesel engines installed on Jeep Liberty (Cherokee in Europe), Grand Cherokee and, I HOPE SO MUCH, 2007 Wrangler 2 and 4-door. All the info everyone needs to know:

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/index.jsp

Wow, look at this one!
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=9

Weight is only 530 lbs.
247 HP @ 4000RPM
369 #ft. @ 1800RPM

Impressive!!!

Last edited:
Back