Gm Reveals Fuel-efficient Military Truck To Army

I'm not going to miss the Hummers; but I'm not into them just using a beefed up pickup either, it kinda looks like somethin that Jimbo would put together to go campin in. Though I have a friend that has a late 70's dodge 4X4 pickup that held some type of radio station, that thing is beefy as all hell and impossible to break.

They gonna put armor in the new one? Still burns my butt that the prez would send our boys into battle in un-armored hummers........

That's a great idea and has been around since before the GM CUCV's. This is just an updated, more effecient version. IMO, there will always be a need for commercially available trucks in the Army and they should lean on them a little more than the Humvees OFF the battlefield.
However, it is not the replacement for the Humvees. I have read part of the requirements under the current Research and Develpoment contract for the Humvee replacements. This truck will not meet the criteria laid out by the Army and Marine Corps. While much of the criteria for IFS ground clearance and fording depth is the same, the new vehicle must come adaptable for armor. In other words be equipped so that armor can simply be bolted on.
It seems to me that it is ridiculous not to go ahead and equip each vehicle from the factory with armor instead of going to that great expense at a later date. The issue is that not all vehicles need armor and would be more wear and tear and fuel consumption when not in a tactical situation. That is where this vehicle should come into play. Use the GM or Fords when non tactical and the Humvees in tactical.

redrooster said:
......However, it is not the replacement for the Humvees.... .

I only heard that on the story I saw about it on Speed Channel last night.
Maybe the reporter got it wrong.

Is it the picture of is the rear end sagging? I am not impressed so far.

That's pretty cool. Only negative thing I can see is it looks to be a bit more top-heavy than the hummer...

I'd definatly roll through town in one of those

redrooster said:
I don't know that the rear is sagging, but it looks like the front is definitely cranked up.

The way chevy cuts their fenders doesn't help too much either. the front wheel well is cut a lot higher than the rear.

I don't think the president ever sent any of us into battle in un-armored HUMVEES. I can't honestly remember and I don't really know since I wasn't here at the time, but I think that story was proven false. As we all know the media loves to get people fired up. THere are several facilities here that handle the up-armoring process. Including a complete Humvee refit facility.

The problem with coming with armor installed on them is that they are extremely top heavy and most of our accidents are happening due to rollovers. Plus, here in Kuwait and just about every other military installation the need for armor is non-existent. The armor adds a ton of weight to the vehicle not only just the metal, but by adding all the 6" thick glass, and A/C systems. The beauty of the Humvee is that it is so easily adaptable to meet other requirements (i.e. ambulance, 4 seater, 2 seater, MP vehicle, gun truck....etc.), but if it already came armored the ability to switch configurations would probably be greatly diminished. As far as the rollovers are concerned the Army is taking active steps to train us how to drive better. I know this because I've been thru the class. It was similar to a police academy EVOC course and besides highly informative it was a whole lot of fun! The showed us how to bring a vehicle back on the road after having drifted off at high speeds without rolling it.

Ok....sorry bout the long post, but I just wanted to put out the info as at least I'm seeing it here. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but probably have a great deal more info on it then some of you.

Last edited:
Back