lookin' pretty bad back home in OHIO

prariepunk

hello everyone. sorry this is kind of a long post (short for right now). I got a call from my mom lastnight and she was in tears, in the course of a few months a spot in my grandmothers lungs has rapidly grown to riddle her lungs and move into her liver... I was trying to get the first week of July off to go back and celebrate my daughters birthday (july 2) but I don't have any vacation due yet and I'd be risking my job and going without pay.... My vacation starts after July 11th, boy I hope she can hang on that long... I moved to Texas while she was out of town in NY and never got to say goodbye.... boy life sure is hard... gotta get back to work... I'll post more later... sorry about the spill of personal tragedy :cry:

It is your mother sick, you are protected on FMLA (Family Medical Leave act) you can take off from work to go help with your mother. Just thought i would let you know. All you should have to do is tell work you need to take a leave of Absence due to fmla and all should be good.

It's my grandmother that's sick.... I was raised at my grandparents house from about 2-18 so I'm kinda close to them (my grandfather isn't doing all that well either) My grandmothers condition was cleared up a little today for me and after some "minor surgery" the floating mass of "*cancer*" in her throat was romoved and she can breath a little better and talk, her lungs are still swiss cheese and the cancer in/on her liver turned out to be on the outside of her liver.... it's still cancer but it's one less thing that is "serious" (I can't belive I'm saying that I'm GLAD my grandmother has cancer on the outside of her liver) Both of my grandparents are in bad shape but my grandmother had to go and take the spotlight on this one... It looks like she'll make it until we get down there but I hope not to go for a B-Day and a funeral.... My mind is wrapped around my own mortality and I find myself crying like a 3yr old with a skinned knee at songs on the ra-day-dio like "Live Like You Were Dying" T. McGraw or "See You On The Other Side" G. Straight.... things that make me really look at my own life and what I have to show for myself... I don't know how much pain she's in and what they're giving her.... I hope this brings my grandparents closer (I haven't seen them kiss or hug or say anything nice to eachother since..... well, ever)

Well if you explain to them that your grandparents were the ones that raised you then it still qualifys. I'm sorry to hear that though about your grand parents, I lost my Grandmother on my dads side and my Great grandmother on my mothers side 5 days apart back in march. I hope things get better for you and your family.

Hey Prarie,

I'll give these words only because your 5 had a 360. :)

If your repore with the folks here at Jeepz is any indication of you, I'm sure you have a great group of people that will support you. A job is only a job... you can make more money. Family is family.

While your gp's may be in a deal of pain right now, they've lived a very full life. The very best thing you can do for them is show them you're following the same path. They don't want you mourning; they want you living. It's hard in situations like yours, but heed the reflections you're having now; they will do well in your life. While I won't bother with the details, I feel your pain much closer than you could realize... as do many.

You never have to say "Good bye" or "I love you" to those you really care about; they already know.

Happy early B'day to your daughter... the next generation.

-X

Dude, I'm so sorry to hear this. As Laph said, you are cleared for a leave of absence through FMLA, regardless of the amount of time you've been on the job. Take the time, don't wait. Cancer is so unpredictable, even though she got a "relatively good report", it could still progress to the end in a matter of days. I don't mean to be a bummer, I'm just telling you that from experience so that you don't wait too long. I've lost several family members on my dad's side to cancer, including my dad 3 years ago, and I know how fast they can go. As to what PhattyX said, I agree....I can tell from conversations with you and other posts you've made that your g-parents raised you well. I'm sure they'd want you to celebrate their life, not mourn their death. I know it's rough, and it sounds trite to say this, but you will get through this....you may not get over it, but you'll get through it. I'll be praying for you, bud.

Thank you guys for all yer words and prayers... I actually talked to her today (G-Mother) and I can actually hear her voice (she lost it back in... Dec?) and she seems to be in good spirits, no major pain/she's not complaining anyway.... My G-Father is the same old hermitt and shows no "Postitve" Emotions towards her, BUT NO NEGATIVE ONES!!! He's not the emotional type... we used to have a BIG 4th-o-july Celebration but things are real tight and the families can't afford to have the party this year (which is fine by me, I'm just happy going home). I keep trying to remember the better time for my G-Parents but it hard to get over the FINALNESS of death... I know it's the END and all but.... I remeber them being young and full of P&V (You know what I mean) It seems like just yesterday I was only 9 and me and Mike (G-Father) were going fishing in our pond and Ma'am (G-Mother) was taking my brother and I to Macy's and showing us around N.Y.C. where she grew up... well she never really grew up... My was of dealing with stress is to kidd, I kidd because I love, so please forgive me if I have a warped sense of humor... Once again, THANK YOU ALL, it really means alot to me to have some one to talk to.... I'll keep you posted. I know you all must have alot going on in you're own lives and I'm sorry to burden you with my emotional drama... but thank you!

Back