Does anyone else think Bestop is total CRAP?

Bestop products are...

• Total Crap

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Average

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • The Best!

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

socal_rob

I'm in the mood to rant.

About two months ago I decided to take out my TJ's rear seat and install a Bestop trunk. I had never actually seen one before I ordered it. My first impression when I opened the box wasn't very good. The trunk was made of really low grade plastic, but I decided to install it anyway. After assembling the trunk and installing it, I discovered that the rear mounting holes didn't line up with the vehicle mount points. I messed around for a good 30 minutes trying to make it work - but finally gave up and returned the trunk.

So, perhaps I should have known better than to order another Bestop product, but I really wanted a bikini top and they seem to have the market cornered. So, I ordered one and have spent the last hour trying to install the piece of sh*t. The little plastic lip on the top simply refuses to stay inside the windshield channel. I get one side started, move to the other, and the first side pops out.

Does Bestop EVEN BOTHER with r&d? I called their customer support (who were, incidentally, no help with the trunk) and asked them for some pointers. The support person told me that I should find someone to help me and that the top isn't easy to install. She said that she had installed one on a co-workers vehicle and that it took the two of them considerable time. Sheesh.

Okay, so let me get this straight. The WHOLE POINT of a bikini top is easy on, easy off for those summer days, light rain showers, etc. It isn't supposed to be a two person, hour-long job...IS IT??? When I asked why the windshield channel is so incredibly tight and difficult to work with, she replied in a rather condescending tone something to the effect of "you wouldn't want it flying off the vehicle when driving." Um, I don't think the tightness of the front windshield channel has nearly as much to do with the top flying off as the tension from front to back. This seems rather elementary to me.

So, my question is, how on earth is Bestop still around? Their products are crap. Their service is crap. Or am I the only one who feels this way???

-Rob

The bikini tops are very tight and hard to put on at first, they have to stretch out some. Start from one side and work across, dont tighten the back up before you get the channel all the way in. BTW, they aren't allowed to use the same thickness fabric as Jeep apparently, so they have a thinner material. I don't like their replacement tops from what I've seen, but their bikinis and dusters are decent. Their tire carrier seems like a poor design, I don't like that, and the trunk thing, well I guess we know now

I love my Bestop Sunrider but can't say much for their customer service when it comes to replacement parts for their products. The zipper on my driver's side window is torn and they don't even have a replacement part they can sell me. You'd think that there is so many insurance claims and people ripping soft tops when off roading that they would offer replacement parts for order. After a little research I managed to find a company who sells a matching zipper.

Have had a Supertop on the '92, a Sunrider on the '88 and again a Supertop on my 91. Love 'em. So much better, tighter, and simpler than the OEM top that was on the '92. I had the 3 pc bikini/windjammer/tonneau on the '92 and it was great too. I have a CJ style bikini for the one I have now, and like Currupt wrote, it took a little stretching (easiest to do in the hot sun but I like it too.

Never had any of their products other than the tops, but I gotta hand it to them their tops are the best I've seen or used.

socal_rob said:
The little plastic lip on the top simply refuses to stay inside the windshield channel. I get one side started, move to the other, and the first side pops out.
Hook up the rear of the bikini first, but not all the way tight. IT will help hold it in place as you switch sides ;)

TwistedCopper said:
Have had a Supertop on the '92, a Sunrider on the '88 and again a Supertop on my 91. Love 'em. So much better, tighter, and simpler than the OEM top that was on the '92. I had the 3 pc bikini/windjammer/tonneau on the '92 and it was great too. I have a CJ style bikini for the one I have now, and like Currupt wrote, it took a little stretching (easiest to do in the hot sun but I like it too.

Never had any of their products other than the tops, but I gotta hand it to them their tops are the best I've seen or used.

Hook up the rear of the bikini first, but not all the way tight. IT will help hold it in place as you switch sides ;)
Have you tried clamping down your Sunrider on top of the bikini channel? If so, does it squish it, cause wind noise or leak water? I just picked up a bikini top two weeks ago and am going to try leaving the channel on when I clamp down the front of my Sunrider.

socal_rob said:
So, my question is, how on earth is Bestop still around?
It's because they're better than every other softtop manufacturer out there. What's the say for the other compainies ;)

My bikini is a few years old and still takes two people to install. Mainly because I keep it folded and the plastic lip won't lay flat like that.
Lay it out in the hot sun and it should flatten. Then roll it instead of folding. That should make it a little easier.

Always had good luck with bestop and not so good luck with their competitors. It depends on what you are buying, but the soft tops are the best.

I've had my besttop replace a top for about 3 years now. And love it. I put mine up and down all the time and still feels the same as the day i bought it.

I have a bestop bikini top, never had a problem installing it myself. Goes on quick. I also have their supertop, came with the Jeep when I got it. Works great.

I did buy their rollbar covers, and returned them. They were waaaaay to hard to get on. Almost like they were too small.

Craig said:
Have you tried clamping down your Sunrider on top of the bikini channel? If so, does it squish it, cause wind noise or leak water? I just picked up a bikini top two weeks ago and am going to try leaving the channel on when I clamp down the front of my Sunrider.
never tried it. The Jeep I have now doesn't have a Sunrider. I have a Supertop which uses the same channel.

Try starting with top upside down on the hood and the back side towards the front of the jeep.......slip plastic tab "B" into metal slot "C".......then fold the top over the windshield and strap it to the back. Always works for me.

The only other Bestop product I've had besides tops is a rear seat and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

I have besttop seats and a soft top and bikini top for my CJ. If you are having trouble with the channel spraying a bit of Windex made it alot easier for me to move it in and out. This will also get easier with age. i take my bikini top on and off all the time and i have not had trouble since i used the windex.

Back