Claws vs. wrangler mt/r's...

Wrangl3r93

Ok pricing everything up and i'm tryin to decide on which tires i want to run. They will be 33x12.50(possibly 35's if i can scrounge up some extra dollars). I've asked everybody around here which ones they like and they've all said the claws because they look meaner but i'm not looking to buy tires based on looks. I'm in the mud alot and plan on going to college in Colorado and need something to handle the trails out there, too. I know a few of ya'll are running the mt/r's so ya'lls testimonials would be greatly appreciated. Personally i'm leaning towards the mt/r's but i want to get some more professional opinions before i pay for anything.

........NEITHER...............both are not that good in the mud

..............SUPER SWAMPER..........TSL/IROCK.............if you need a good ride get radials.

There isnt very much mud here in Colorado. There is good snow bashing how ever, nice trails on rock and what ever else, besides Moab is only 5-6 hours drive away.

I loved the MT/R but they wore unevenly, even when rotated the still cupped a bit (Yes the steering geometry was correct.

How many miles you get out of them twisted? I know the mt/r's wouldn't be worse than my BFG a/t's in the mud and it's taken alot to get me stuck so far. I plan on doing moab and similar trails if/when i head out west so i think the mt/r's will do me pretty good. Also found out tonight i can get a brand new set for about 75 a piece if my friends dad can get them through his work. That's a big deciding factor right there.

Playing devils advocate, this sounds like it's your primary vehicle also. Keep that in mind with the freakin gas prices currently. I don't see them going down much. I have 33's MTs on and they are great but when I do drive on pavement, I know, plus the additional height wear down my MPGs. Just food for thought.

I know with the college thing it may be tough, but you should consider keeping the BFG A/T's on your Jeep and getting an offroad set for those weekend trips(something like the LTB or TSL). I would think the A/T's would be better on the street and Colorado snow.
Where you going...Ft. Collins?

Both tires suck in the mud, from what I've seen firsthand. And both are relatively soft, wearing quickly onroad. The MT/R's are softer and will wear faster between the two.

Go with the 32"x10.5" TSL Radial if you're serious about an MT and still want decent road manners.

Had claws loved em for the trails around here hated em on the road due to wear way to quick! for mixed solid rocky and dry ground woods and clay they are real hard to beat. As for in mud never had any real trouble but the mud is not like big ol deep bogs or any thing, Hope I have not confused you. tug

If the mud is realy knarly or deep, then the only tire you would want to run is a Swamper. If you've been able to get through most of the mud around you in bfg a/t's though, then any offroad tire should do. I would choose the mt/r over the claw. I run bfg mud terrains and they do great on trails with mud and loose dirt, and are great on the highway (for a mud tire). I've seen the mt/r's do some pretty crazy things in the rocks though, which may make them your best choice if you do alot of rock crawling in Colorado. One consideration though, if you drive on plowed roads alot, you may want to get your tires siped...m/t's tend to be pretty squirly on packed snow and ice.

Last edited:
Back