Here is another Messed up Superhero...

Laph

Superman eschews longtime patriot act

Nevermind Superman's sexual orientation. Here's another identity-related question that is likely to spark controversy as the Man of Steel soars into theaters nationwide this Fourth of July weekend in Warner Bros. Pictures' "Superman Returns": Is Superman still American?

Ever since artist Joe Shuster and writer Jerry Siegel created the granddaddy of all comic book icons in 1932, Superman has fought valiantly to preserve "truth, justice and the American way." Whether kicking Nazi ass on the radio in the '40s or wrapping himself in the Stars and Stripes on TV during the Cold War or even rescuing the White House's flag as his final feat in "Superman II," the Krypton-born, Smallville-raised Ubermensch always has been steeped in unmistakable U.S. symbolism.

But in the latest film incarnation, scribes Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris sought to downplay Superman's long-standing patriot act. With one brief line uttered by actor Frank Langella, the caped superhero's mission transformed from "truth, justice and the American way" to "truth, justice and all that stuff."

"The world has changed. The world is a different place," Pennsylvania native Harris says. "The truth is he's an alien. He was sent from another planet. He has landed on the planet Earth, and he is here for everybody. He's an international superhero."

In fact, Dougherty and Harris never even considered including "the American way" in their screenplay. After the wunderkind writing duo ("X2: X-Men United") conceived "Superman's" story with director Bryan Singer during a Hawaiian vacation, they penned their first draft together and intentionally omitted what they considered to be a loaded and antiquated _expression. That decision stood throughout the 140-day shoot in Australia, where the pair remained on-set to provide revisions and tweaks.

Continued......
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/film_reporter_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002764635

what sucks is I liked this commercial
http://www.wjjeeps.com/video/video_wj_superman.mov

how can they just go and mess up super man like that? Thats like Take In God We Trust off the Money... oh, hold on thats what the ACLU is trying to do... To make everyone have No values anymore I say screw them.
http://www.grassfire.net/81/petition.asp?PID=11421594

They use to stand up for the right things now, they turned their back and are just money hungery trying to get more money out of Local goverments, School Districts and what ever and who ever else they can. :x
I guess thats my 2 cents

The ACLU and the left are trying to make Atheism the state religion, and now Superman won't stand for the American way. Anyone ever read 1984? Orwell was right.

Magua308 said:
The ACLU and the left are trying to make Atheism the state religion, and now Superman won't stand for the American way. Anyone ever read 1984? Orwell was right.

:roll: Have mercy, here we go again. BH, get your thread locking button ready.

You know what, that IS true. I just got back from the Leftist Agenda meeting, and we DID decide that we want Atheism to become the new state religion. Even though, the word "Atheism" by definition is devoid of religion, and thus can't really be a religion, but darn it we are sure as heck fire going to try!!!

Last edited:

mingez said:
:roll: Have mercy, here we go again. BH, get your thread locking button ready.

You know what, that IS true. I just got back from the Leftist Agenda meeting, and we DID decide that we want Atheism to become the new state religion. Even though, the word "Atheism" by definition is devoid of religion, and thus can't really be a religion, but darn it we are sure as heck fire going to try!!!

Mingez.. I define Atheism as a "mindset" and a "belief system." That is mightly close to what some would call a religion.
{if you respond to that, which you likely will, don't expect a reply from me. I am in nowise inclined to start yet another philosophical debate. I probably should have not even written this}:)

But back to the Superman movie.

That isn't the first or last time that a storyline has changed to appeal to a global audience. They did it for a buck. Plain and simple. to sell more tickets.

I say to heck with them.. I'm still going on almost 8 years on not stepping foot into a movie theater and as long as that kind of crap and the like keeps coming out I don't think I'll be breaking that streak.:D

I would like to say that if the ACLU doesn't want american money to say anything about god then they don't have to accept it. Nobody is making them accept money from the U.S. They could just move to europe to avoid accepting american money.

I think people take this whole religion thing way too far. It only gets worse every year. If we could just spend the same amount of time, effort, and money on things like research for diseases and poverty in the United States this would be an even better country. It is funny how we waste money on things like this. What is the benefit of the ACLU being created? For actual violation of civil rights. Nobody is forcing anyone to accept american money. They have a right to not be subjected to prayers at open meetings etc, but doesn't everyone else have a right to freedom of speech? Basically one persons rights infringe on someone elses. What we have done is given the ACLU a platform to sue anyone for anything just like all the other money hungry people.

Last edited:
dropseys said:
What benefit of the ACLU being created? For actual violation of civil rights.

[90Xjay being sarcastic]
We need the ACLU to defend the North American Man Boy Love Assn. free of charge.

[end 90Xjay being sarcastic]

Atheism - the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

It is a singular belief that there is no God. I have to side with Mingez on that one. It does not indicate any additional beliefs or common practice other than an eternity full of weeping and gnashing of teeth and all that stuff ;) LOL

On a side note, I do not want a federal or state religion, as I heed the warnings of Thomas Jefferson and the rest of the Christian forefathers who warned of such Government involvement in churches. What good would it do anyhow? I certainly don't need a governmental stamp of approval for my beliefs. Being left free to worship as I choose and having the freedom to express it is enough for me.

Back to Superman (remember Superman?)

That all that stuff line is rather insulting. Oh well whattya expect from the same line of business that started our last comic related thread.

Well, although his patriotism has failed, I bet Superman is supportive of Batgirl's choice of sexual partners. Ya gotta give him credit for political correctness, right?

Boy o boy these comic books sure seem like great ways to have the kids kill time. I hope I can bring them home an issue before they sell out.

Anyone who didn't pick up on the rampant sacasm throughout this post, it's there (except for the definition and first two sentances, I really do agree with Mingez on what Atheism is).

Quick semi-related note, for once not intended to stoke any fires :lol: just for consideration; TJ wouldn't be considered a Christian by many groups. If you read his writings on Christianity he more or less comes to the conclusion that Jesus gave us the purest form of humanity, but most likely was not the literal son of God (which was a commonly held belief of many groups of ancient Christians). He believed that the whole son of God thing was fabricated by the church to serve as a selling point of sorts. As an interesting side note to the side note he really disliked orthodoxy and Calvinists, particularly the Presbyterians of the time.

As far as Superman goes I stopped caring when he gave up his mojo for Lois Lane; I know it was supposed to be romantic, but as a child I thought it pathetic when he got the crap kicked out of himself at that truck stop.

TwistedCopper said:
Atheism - the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

It is a singular belief that there is no God. I have to side with Mingez on that one. It does not indicate any additional beliefs or common practice other than an eternity full of weeping and gnashing of teeth and all that stuff ;) LOL

Funny you say that. I have mild TMJ, and I am currently looking into getting my teeth gnashing fixed. :purple:

OutOfStep said:
Quick semi-related note, for once not intended to stoke any fires :lol: just for consideration; TJ wouldn't be considered a Christian by many groups. If you read his writings on Christianity he more or less comes to the conclusion that Jesus gave us the purest form of humanity, but most likely was not the literal son of God (which was a commonly held belief of many groups of ancient Christians). He believed that the whole son of God thing was fabricated by the church to serve as a selling point of sorts. As an interesting side note to the side note he really disliked orthodoxy and Calvinists, particularly the Presbyterians of the time.

As far as Superman goes I stopped caring when he gave up his mojo for Lois Lane; I know it was supposed to be romantic, but as a child I thought it pathetic when he got the crap kicked out of himself at that truck stop.
I've read that too. Of course, it was in a library run by the agenda-stricken aethistic left wing conspiracy pinkos known as "academia"...
So, I naturally dismissed it as Euro-hippyfied propaganda. :D

[90Xjay- sitting back and enjoying this for a change];) ;) ;) ;)

OutOfStep said:
TJ wouldn't be considered a Christian by many groups. If you read his writings on Christianity he more or less comes to the conclusion that Jesus gave us the purest form of humanity, but most likely was not the literal son of God (which was a commonly held belief of many groups of ancient Christians). He believed that the whole son of God thing was fabricated by the church to serve as a selling point of sorts. As an interesting side note to the side note he really disliked orthodoxy and Calvinists, particularly the Presbyterians of the time.

He was, in fact, a student of Scripture who attended church regularly, and was an active member of the Anglican Church, where he served on his local vestry. He was married in church, sent his children and a nephew to a Christian school, and gave his money to support many different congregations and Christian causes. His "Notes on Religion," nine documents Jefferson wrote in 1776, are "very orthodox statements about the inspiration of Scripture and Jesus as the Christ". He attended worship services throughout his life. He signed legislation that gave land to Indian missionaries, put chaplains on the government payroll, and provided for the punishment of irreverent soldiers. He also sent Congress an Indian treaty that set aside money for a priest's salary and for the construction of a church.

He was considered, and probably considered himself a Christian throughout his career. But then...

In 1813, after a life of practicing and supporting Christianity, Jefferson rejected the deity of Christ. Born in 1743, he was 70 years old when he did so.

BUT - my point was to reference the separation of Church and State, not confirm Thomas Jefferson's faith. Truth be told no one can or can not.

Ok.....another thought.....what if you have someone with dentures that is an atheist? And then if they lose their dentures? Can they still imbibe in the gnashing of the teeth?

TwistedCopper said:
He was, in fact, a student of Scripture who attended church regularly, and was an active member of the Anglican Church, where he served on his local vestry. He was married in church, sent his children and a nephew to a Christian school, and gave his money to support many different congregations and Christian causes. His "Notes on Religion," nine documents Jefferson wrote in 1776, are "very orthodox statements about the inspiration of Scripture and Jesus as the Christ". He attended worship services throughout his life. He signed legislation that gave land to Indian missionaries, put chaplains on the government payroll, and provided for the punishment of irreverent soldiers. He also sent Congress an Indian treaty that set aside money for a priest's salary and for the construction of a church.

He was considered, and probably considered himself a Christian throughout his career. But then...

In 1813, after a life of practicing and supporting Christianity, Jefferson rejected the deity of Christ. Born in 1743, he was 70 years old when he did so.

BUT - my point was to reference the separation of Church and State, not confirm Thomas Jefferson's faith. Truth be told no one can or can not.

It is, however, no surprise to me that it is taught in Colleges and Universities in our country that he was opposed to Christianity because of something he said or wrote as an old man and the fact that he spent 70 years as a Christian (including the years he helped form and presided over this country) is not. Nothing like re-writing history to suit an agenda.

Ah, who am I kidding... although they probably remember hearing the name, half of the kids in College today probably don't even know who he was.

:roll:

If you read my initial post you'll see that you are arguing against points that I never made. All I said is that he would not be considered a Christian by many groups.

It truly is revisionist history to exclude a portion of a mans life from record or thought simply because you find that section less than tasteful or blow it off as the ramblings of an old man.

It is because he was an extremely studious individual who had vast amounts of knowledge and dedication to religion that his notes on religion are so very interesting. The fact that after a life of study he is finally able to contemplate his knowledge and then commit those thoughts to paper, knowing well that they will be read for many years after he is gone and unable to defend his views is quite astonishing. (We’ll just pretend that his notions hadn’t been formed over his life and when he hit 70 he attended a deist meeting and was converted because they had really good cake and punch; just ignore the deist terminology he incorporated in his writings throughout his life {including the Declaration of Independence}.)

(the deists would serve devils food cake of course) ;-)

Back