new jeep owner

getsmart101

hey everyone, i just purchased my first jeep, a 98 sahara and am looking to lift it and throw on some bigger tires. ive been reading a lil bit about how involved a project like this can be, can anone recomend the max on lift and tires without having to spend too much $$$$ or do major mods to the truck

thanks

Congrats!

image-missing.png

Welcome to Jeepz!! Looks like Out of Step pretty much took care of that answer....nice chart, btw!! I'll have to bookmark that for future reference.

So, anyway, tell us a little more about yourself. Where ya from, whaddaya like, do ya work and where, married, kids, etc.

Welcome to Jeepz!

Funny how that chart skips 33" tires... probably the most common size you'll see on the average trail Jeep.

i was thinking of going with 33"tires on a 4" lift. can anyone tell me would the cost of this be exstesive or would the would the 1" shackle lift or the 1" body lift or both take care of any problems i mighthave. or if this is a terrible idea can anyone make a sugestion(s)
also can anyone recomend a few good places to shop around at.
thanks again

I know I found that skip annoying too, especially since when they made the chart you could only get 34's in 34X9.5 or somethin wonky like that. However, now those Interco 34X12's are looking pretty tempting for my Jeep. Though I guess the chart reflects true tire diameter and not the diameter printed on the side, so who knows how much that changes it.

getsmart101 said:
i was thinking of going with 33"tires on a 4" lift. can anyone tell me would the cost of this be exstesive or would the would the 1" shackle lift or the 1" body lift or both take care of any problems i mighthave. or if this is a terrible idea can anyone make a sugestion(s)
also can anyone recomend a few good places to shop around at.
thanks again

If it's a '98, it's not going to have shackles........coil springs all around. But there's something called a "budget boost" that might help.........little rubber coil spacers, I believe. Someone else on here can give you the definitive answer you're looking for...............I'm still stock suspension on 31's:(

33's will fit with as little as 3" total lift and supposedly with some 2.5" kits; the only problem with a 4" kit is that you'll have to drop the T case or get a Slip Yolk Eliminator (SYE) with a new driveshaft.

If you're looking for cheapest and easiest ($400 and a Saturday) the 2" budget boost (polyurathane spacers and extended shocks) and a 1" body lift will do the trick fine, if you are looking a little more money and time you could go with a 2.5" sping lift and a 1" body ($600), or a 3" lift kit ($700ish for springs or $1000 with all 4 control arms), or a 4" kit ($1000+).

As with most things in life it all comes down to the dollars you're looking to spend.

as for places to shop it depends on where you live. For your 33's and a limited budget I would suggest Rusty's Offroad or Rubicon Express. But there are a ton of options, those are just two of my personal preferences.

Back