Guess What I am doing Right Now?

KrazyJeeper

I am not for sure how many of our brothers/sisters here are familiar with the military, but I just had to vent. I am sitting here right now, with something on my head that is dripping water down my neck. Why? Because, I have to shape it to fit my head before I can wear it in public. Once I feel the shape has taken hold, I will then use a bic razor and shave it. No, it's not Sasquatch. LOL! One of our Glorious leaders tried to make his mark on the Army before he was forced to retire. Can you name the evil beast I am talking about that is currently excreting fluid down the base of my neck and leaving little hairy fur balls every time I touch it?

On another note, anyone here fish for crappie? I caught about 25 or so last night but only brought home 9 keepers. Take Care, KJ

I know exactly what you're doing. I had to do it to mine too. Although it's a time consuming process it is definetly worth the look in the end. When they're not shaped right they just look stupid and I can't stand seeing them when they're not shaped right. I've been wearing mine since '94, but back then mine was red. I think the black ones looked better on the Rangers personnally.

Shaping your beret? Didn't know you had to shave them, too. Personally, I think the should have kept the berets for the special forces, and the "flat caps" for the regular army guys.....tradition, ya know. I always thought the flat ones looked better, anyway....well, unless Gomer Pyle was wearing it, then nothing looked good......

Shave and shape, I had a black one for a short time. Still have it somewhere around here.

Mine has a red star and crescent badge, anybody know where it's from?

That would be from the USSR. I have one of the pile caps that I traded a patrol cap to an east german when the wall came down. That was a time I will always remember.

I usually buy my berets from Ranger Joe's online and they are already shaved and somewhat shaped. Real nice, but I was cleaning out a few boxes last night and came across two issued ones. Sparky, it never fails that when the government decides what we will wear, a soldier always finds a way to make it better or inprovised. Take the Black boots, some people use alchol and water with a light to get a real good spit shine, I myself used to use a heat gun to melt the polish on the boot and then polish. I wish we would have kept the beret to the Rangers myself. Now everywhere you go, there's usually a mirror right by the front door so you can primp.

KrazyJeeper said:
I usually buy my berets from Ranger Joe's online and they are already shaved and somewhat shaped. Real nice, but I was cleaning out a few boxes last night and came across two issued ones. Sparky, it never fails that when the government decides what we will wear, a soldier always finds a way to make it better or inprovised. Take the Black boots, some people use alchol and water with a light to get a real good spit shine, I myself used to use a heat gun to melt the polish on the boot and then polish. I wish we would have kept the beret to the Rangers myself. Now everywhere you go, there's usually a mirror right by the front door so you can primp.

Well, I tend to like tradition, and liked to be able to tell the rangers apart from the other soldiers. I know some former rangers and seals that were totally p-o'd at the whole idea of giving everyone a beret. In their day, the beret was a sign of something special, pretty much an honor to wear, that signified you were in a special group....now that every grunt has one, it's lost it's importance. (No, I'm not dissing any member of our armed forces....they each are just as important in their own job, and I respect all of them equally).

KrazyJeeper said:

hey on your boots. As an Air Force cop we had to have extra shiny boots and we used a product called Leather Luster. You actually sand the boots lightly with a brillo pad and paint this product on. Set them somewhere warm to dry overnight and it's just like patent leather. No more polish, just some sprayway glass cleaner... great stuff.:p

Back