Clutch, standard or heavy duty?

spiritree

Am going to put a cluctch in my 91 YJ, 4.0L. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in putting a heavy duty model over the standard? I am planning on doing much more rock crawling in the future. The last clutch lasted 125K with mostly on-road use.

I'd agree, plus if you swap in a real heavy clutch a lot of times you have to swap for HD components from the clutch back to the pedal

I agree with not needing a heavy duty clutch because of the jeep engine not producing enough power but if you're running large tires and rock crawling, it can be harder on a clutch than having a high hp engine. Especially if your rock crawling, you'll be on the clutch all the time. An oem clutch will work but a stronger one will be better and last longer. If you're gonna go to the trouble of ripping it apart and spending that kind of cash why not spend a little extra for beefier parts. If you look at LUK brand clutches, they offer two different ones for your jeep. One is an oem replacement and the other is a higher performance one which is called the Gold Series clutch. They are recommended by a lot of shops and they feel like a stock clutch so you don't have to worry about heavy pedal pressure. I've had mine for about a year now with no problems.

Back