Anyone Paint With Spray Cans?

Crusader

Hi Guys:

Have any of you painted your Jeep with spray cans? If so, can you tell me about it--why you did it that way, what brand you used, how many coats did you apply, did it come out okay, better/worse than you anticipated? I just bought my 85 CJ7 and it is primered, but needs a paint job. It is mainly going to be a "farm" Jeep, so it does not require a super-duper, high-quality paint job, just something that looks decent and will do a fair job of protecting it (when not being used, it will be garaged). If I can get by with the convenience and lower cost (assumed) and get a reasonable end product that way, I may go that route.

Thanks in advance!

We painted my dads old cj with can spray paint. It doesnt look great but its not too bad. We used like a flat rust kind of color, so it wouldnt have all kinds of shiny and flat looking spots. I am not sure what brand we used, but i know we got it at wal-mart so it couldnt be anything fancy. It has held up pretty well it has been a couple years and still looks ok.

Nate

I know a guy that coated his farm jeep in that duplicolor bedliner stuff you can buy at walmart. It's not too hard to do and not really all that expensive. It's been a couple years and it still looks good and has withstood everything he's thrown at it, from branches to cattle scraping down the sides(dented the jeep but the bedliner didn't get scratched).

I think JP did a writeup last summer called " $80 paint job" or "rattle can paint job" or something like that. Of course, their Jeep turned out amazing. Google it, see what you can find.

If you have a compressor (or access to one) you can buy a cheap gun and paint it with real paint cheaper than rattle caning the whole thing, results will be about the same.

Rattle can stuff comes out best in the flat colors and you'll want to use a primer. I've painted several motorcycles with spray paint and they all came out pretty good all things considered. If you go with spray paint you should pick up one of those handles you attach to the top, looks like a pistol grip, your finger will thank you.

We rattle canned a buddies Jeep Commando, came out real nice since we did a camo pattern. Then there was another local jeeper that does his with the chalkboard paint and lets the children of club members color on it during events.

We've done a few "rattle can" jobs at the shop. We did one with the dupli-color color shift paint, and the another with their metal-cast paint. Both of the paint jobs came out extremely well and look pretty cool. Regular type spray paint is much easier to do and you should get pretty good results as long as long as you have a steady hand.

The trick is, as with all painting, proper surface prep and smooth, even coats.

I used an oil based olive drab on a YJ I had for a few months. It turned out great. I rolled it on with a foam roller and used a fine brush for trim. I know it sounds ridiculous but I got compliments often.

Aervoe is the company that makes the paint. It is scratch resistand and tough as nails:
http://www.aervoe.com/aervoe/shopping/paintsCoatings_cat.asp

here's their camo colors:
http://www.aervoe.com/aervoe/shopping/aervoe_PaintsCoatings_detail.asp?ID=6
I used 987A. I used less than 2 gallons, and only did one coat.
freshpaint-2.jpg

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=306&stc=1&d=1154656903
Well I hope this works! The above pic if it showes up is my dear old Tugly the CJ-7 dressed out in her rattle can camo via Wal-Mart and a sore finger from holding down the spray can top! Yes you can do a paint job with a spray can just dont think it will come out a nice even and shinny! Then again why would anyone one a nice shinny Jeep to start with with a dull old jeep you do not have to think if you should you just do and if your paint job does suffer a little a quick trip to wally world and a few bucks in fresh camo colors and your all set to go again. No problems hehehehe tug

Attachments

• camo2.JPG
    camo2.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 8,483
I've done my hood so far. About 1.5 years ago. I scuffed up the stock paint and sprayed it with two coats of Krylon camo green. I am very happy with it. If I wasn't replacing the tub soon, I'd do the entire vehicle asap

Back