Six Months in Jail for stealing food from a dumpster

90Xjay

read story here

I know that jumping a fence to get to the dumpster was wrong, but all they wanted was somthing to eat and they did not harm anyones property, just took over-ripe produce from a trash can. Six months!

Doesn't the DA in this case have bigger criminals to make an example out of?

I'm usually on the side of the property owners, but even this property owner tryed to get the DA to drop it.

link doesn't work for me.......................

Sounds pretty pathetic to me, though.

Our government seems intent on picking on poor people :(

Damn and to think a woman ran me over and fled, yet she only got 6 months. I wish i had the DA, she would have gotten the chair.

Our government seems intent on picking on poor people :(
Did this happen near you, or are you implicating that our federal government has something to do with this incident?

The link didn't work for me either, but I can't help but to wonder...

Did the guy have any other options? Is there a local ministry he could have eaten at? Did he bother to ask the property owner to give him the food instead of throwing it away? Why is the guy homeless? Does he have any priors?

I found a guy in a dumpster behind a grocerie store one night while doing business checks. He almost got a beat down because he startled me by popping out of the dumpster scared i was going to arrest him. He was actually in there picking out wraps and deli sandwiches which had expired that day and were chucked. Nothing wrong with them, but i guess the store didn't have resources to hand them out to the shelters. He got a stern lecture about popping out on officers. A palmstrike to his forehead and being knocked on his butt i think worked.

The bad thing is that corporate mogul's wont let the stores give that food away.
What a world were living in when a innocent person gets more than a hardened criminal's get.

Did he bother to ask the property owner to give him the food instead of throwing it away?

Most places won't do that because of the liability and possible fines from USDA. If someone eats expired food given to them (or sold) by a store, and gets sick or dies, that store is liable for their death.

Charlé most recently worked as a social worker. Siller is an Americorps volunteer and a yoga instructor. Both men had plans to go to graduate school, family and friends said.

The men could have accepted a lesser jail sentence.

“They had a choice between accepting a deferred felony with 90 days in jail or a misdemeanor conviction with six months in jail,” St. James said Friday. “It came down to whether they wanted a felony conviction with less jail time or a misdemeanor with more jail.”

So, they weren't homeless. The men were from out of state, going to some organized gathering of some sort when they did this. However, I still think it's rediculous that a felony conviction has a shorter jailtime than a misdemeanor. Plus, I think it's rediculous that they are serving any time at all for stealing rotten fruit. Give them a fine for trespassing, but jeez louise, jail?!? And that skank that ran over our bud James gets 6 months for ALEO, hit-and-run, etc. Where's the justice? If you can get 6 months for "stealing" rotten fruit, you should get 60 years for running over a police officer and leaving the scene.

If you can truly go to jail and be charged with a felony for taking food from a dumpster, ....well thats just screwed up.

you know that dope heads run around his county selling poison to kids and do less time.

It sounds like the ADA is on a power trip. It seems like community service would have been a better punishment and would have helped the community instead of costing it money.

Okay, yeah reading it the punishment seems stiff, but when you do something that you know is illegal you assume the risk of this sort of thing happening to you.

In some countries they would have had their hands cut off.

Okay, yeah reading it the punishment seems stiff, but when you do something that you know is illegal you assume the risk of this sort of thing happening to you.

In some countries they would have had their hands cut off.

Yes, but in those countries, there wouldn't have been any overripe fruit in the dumpsters to begin with.;)

Most places won't do that because of the liability and possible fines from USDA. If someone eats expired food given to them (or sold) by a store, and gets sick or dies, that store is liable for their death.

I agree...if people werent so law suit happy in this country stores might be more inclined to give this food away. If I owned that store I sure as heck wouldn't risk the liability.

yeah but who people sue fo ranything. Like in NJ a guy broke into a junk yard to steal and was chewed up by the dog. He sued teh junkyard and won. Thats our screwed up judicial system

I want to know how much the taxpayers of his district payed to have those apple theives prosecuted..:purple: :purple:

6 years ago last week... A guy hit my truck while drinking and driving, killed my friend and put me in intensive care. He spent 30 days in jail and was a free man after that.

I should have said that he stole some fruit from my truck

On the radio, I heard that a police spokesman was quoted saying he was going to "make an example of these two". An example to who?

I'd be willing to bet there's more to this than meets the eye. Possibly the event they were attending has been drawing a less than savory crowd and there have been other problems.

Maybe not.

I can't help but to wonder... if these guys were out of town, they left their homes without enough money to eat?

What I'm saying is were they broke? Were they just goofing off?

They were either broke (should've thought about food money before they left), or they were just being knuckleheads. Either way, they broke the law.
tresspassing
theft

Now they have to pay for it.

Back