You're going to call BS on this....

redrooster

You're going to call BS on this story, but it is absolutely true and I have 5 witnesses.
I have been working on a project that requires the use of cargo containers. These particular containers are the steel boxes you see on trailer chassis, rail cars and freight ships. They are 40'x8'x9.5' and weigh 8,575 lbs empty. Anyway, I was having two delivered to my new shop on these rollback trailers called Landoll's. You are supposed to winch the container on the trailer and leave 2 feet hanging off the rear so that when you tilt the deck back the container hits the ground and you drive out from underneath it. These two drivers show up and have the containers winched all the way up on the deck with no way to slide them off. The first driver asked if I had a forklift to pick it up and help start it. I told him that the forklift had not been delivered yet, all we had were the trucks sitting outside. He said he didn't think that would do it. I said we'll have to try, all we need to do is get it started sliding.
I backed my 05 Super Duty Powerstroke around and locked it in 4 lo. My guys hooked a chain to the container and looped it over my trailer ball. I started pulling slowly and as the Powerstroke revved, I felt it start pulling the box. I looked in the mirror to see that the box wasn't moving, but I was dragging the semi, trailer and box across the gravel parking lot and he had the brakes locked down. Seriously...no BS. He then decided it would be a good idea to put the truck in gear and try to go forward. I dragged him even further then. Suddenly the box slid a little and I stopped to anchor it. I ended up dragging both trailers that way. My tires never even spun.
I figured that the Powerstroke would drag the box off, but never figured on dragging the whole semi. We were all shocked.

Built Ford Tough!....wouldn't buy any other truck. My friends work in the oil and gas fields in Northern Canada and most of the oil companies there have got rid of every Dodge they own because they just fall apart. They can't handle the abuse of a work truck. I do like the new Chevy's though and Toyota is starting to stand up as a reliable work truck although no comparison to a diesel.

Last edited:

I believe it those Powerstrokes have a buttload of torque

My girl's parents train Tn walking horses and most my family lives on farms ,also we have a class a motorhome and are at rv parks with those big 5th wheels and trailers alot. The cummins in the dodge is the only thing i'd ever haul with. Not the fastest diesel truck but i'm convinced the most powerful. Chevy's do an ok job pulling against them in the mountains and ford just sucks for hauling(although we've never tried pulling boxes off the back of a truck...). But in the mountains the cummins can hold a consistent speed right past a powerstroke. Wrangl3rbabe97's cummins pulling a fully loaded horse trailer through the smokies still gets 22 miles to the gallon. That's better than my 4banger on flat roads!

Last edited:
The cummins in the dodge is the only thing i'd ever haul with. Not the fastest diesel truck but i'm convinced the most powerful. Chevy's do an ok job pulling against them in the mountains and ford just sucks for hauling(although we've never tried pulling boxes off the back of a truck...).

I honestly have always been a Chevy guy (outside of Jeeps of course), but the only Chevy dealer in out town has the crappiest service department and most obnoxious salesmen, I will never go back. Ford rolled out the red carpet at the local dealer and I have never regretted my purchase. The 05 6.0 in my truck was rated at 325 hp 575 ft lbs. There is not a whole lot of difference in any of the Big 3's diesels today, so it's really a matter of what you prefer wrapped around your engine. My old roommate had a Dodge that was so stiff, it hurt my back to ride in. I'll never buy one, but the Dodge dually is the best looking on the road. Chevy's are comfy, quiet and powerful, they just don't feel as heavy duty when you are pulling a big load. My Ford is a little stiff for a daily driver, not as bad as Dodge. It runs smooth as silk with a load and the best thing is that it can stop one as well. Monster 13" disks, 35 spline front 60..just a heavy duty truck and it shows when you have a load.
I think if you tried pulling with a newer Ford, you might change your mind. The built in brake controls and the Torqshift work well together.

It was a narrow trail. The lockers were gripping but pulling the Mighty YJ to the passenger side and right off the trail into some trees. My first winch chose that moment to fail. I called for help to come in the morning and the dog and I spent the night in the Jeep. Even though Molly, the dog, was looking mighty appetizing the next morning, I refrained from an immediate breakfast.

Next morning, my friend drove my 4x4 Ranger out to where I was. We pulled the winch cable out a bit, set the snatch block on a tree with the tree strap, and within moments the Mighty YJ was back on the trail.

I do like my little Ford Ranger...

Hard to believe your 4 tires would have enough traction to break loose at least 10 tires, if not 18. Maybe poor brakes on the semi?

Even harder to believe you would loop a chain over a trailer ball.

Ford, Dodge, Chevy, all three are nearly the same. A 6.0, matched to a comperabnle trans and shot through Dana 80's. (3500's and 350's)
It all depends on which MFG you like.
We did alot of looking before I bought my wifes 05 Dodge 3500. It isnt a dually but with a 42 foot 5th wheel with 3 pop-outs that also holds my jeep she does pretty good on the hills here in Utah.

I loved the Chevy we found mated to the Allison 6 speed transmission. But as with the ford both were a bit too loud inside the cab with the engine running.
All three were nearly equipted the same. But the Dodge was quieter.

Nice, I want to see a video... then a commercial!

Hard to believe your 4 tires would have enough traction to break loose at least 10 tires, if not 18. Maybe poor brakes on the semi?

Even harder to believe you would loop a chain over a trailer ball.

It is hard to believe, which is why I posted it.
Both semi's had 18 wheels, the brakes were locked up and all were working. My truck never spun a tire...Both vehicles in a gravel lot.
Why is it hard to believe I would loop a chain over the trailer ball? (I didn't loop it anyway..it's always the responsibility of the towee) The chain was hooked at the base of the box running upward to the ball, so it was highly unlikely to come off. I was pulling, not snatching... took the slack out and let everyone get clear.
Besides that, there aren't a whole lot of options on the rear of a truck. Remember I was in my DD not my Jeep which has all the requisite recovery gear. Normally I would use a clevis, but had no problem with the trailer ball in that particular situation.

I had doubts of a story my good friend told me about his 02 Powerstroke 7.3 pulling a loaded dump truck out of a muddy field where a backhoe had failed to yank the dumptruck out. He found solid ground hooked a chain to his trailer ball and pulled it out. He also said his truck never spun the tires.
I'm tellin ya, they are just pulling machines.

I think if you tried pulling with a newer Ford, you might change your mind

No doubt in my mind. The 6.0L is a very well built engine and was a huge improvement over the 7.3L.

The only one of the big three's P/U truck diesels that I would be leery of is the Chevy. They had alot of problems with the fuel injection system in the Duramax, but should have them ironed out by now.

Ford had the same in 03 when they first went to the 6.0. Fuel injectors leaking onto the block supposedly. Both ironed those wrinkles out.

Back