Digital Camera

Green97TJ

So one of the things I told my parents I'd like for Christmas is a digital camera. However, I doubt they'll get me one since they usually ask what I want and then buy other stuff :D

Anyhow, If they dont get me one I plan on buying my own with some money I've got saved back. Im thinking either the Canon Powershot SD600 or SD630. Both are very compact (big thing I want) and 6 megapixal. Between the 2 of them the biggest difference I can see is that the 630 has a bigger LCD, but no regular viewfinder. Not a big deal to me, but its also 50 dollars more most places.

Anyway, anybody got any comments on these cameras? suggestions on others? The things I want are:
1. Small
2. Video mode
3. At least 6 megapixal
4. Decent sized LCD
5. Under 300 dollars

So lets hear what ya think!

Nathan

i forget the model number but its the kodak powershot something or another. 6MP, 2.5 LCD, video, and an aray of photo modes. all for less than $200.

Thanks Jeepless, I will admit that Im somewhat biased towards Canons, but I'll be sure to check it out. Im biased, but not dead set.

Come on guys, I know there has to be some other camera people out there. Or at least people who can tell me what they have and what they like/dislike about it.

Thanks again

Nathan

Take a good look at Kodaks, we have a 5.0 pixel with the docking station not sure the model number. I travel with it and Nikon D100. Both are digital, but the Nikon does a 10 meg pics. I have to Photoshop them down for web publications. The Kodak doesnt require the extra junk as does my Nikon. I have taken it all over Moab and left the better quality camera in the hotle room. Once back I can sit on the docking station and print out the best pics and show them over dinner. A great 4x4 camera IMHO

for a point and shoot, I like the Canon's. I have a couple Digital ELPHs and they are bulletproof, the stainless bodies are great. Between the two you listed I like the one with the smaller LCD, it just seems more protected from damage.

For a SLR I like Nikon. But only because I have all Nikon lenses and it would not have been economical to change over to Canon.

Man do I wish I could afford a DSLR. I have a 35mm Canon SLR (Rebel G2) that I love, so if I ever do go DSLR it will probably be canon for the lens reason like you mentioned. But for now Im just looking for something pocket sized. Anyway, I know you said you like the one I mentioned better than the other, is this just from looking at them or do you have one? If you have one, could you give me some details about what you do/dont like about it? thanks!!

Nathan

Another thing you may want to look into as you search for cameras is what type of storage it uses. SD Card, etc. If your going to use video, you'll drain your memory fast so you will need multiple memory cards. Most SD cards are fairly cheap now, but memory sticks are a little more costly. Also, what type of reader do you have on your computer. Some have a multi slot while some don't. You can always download by using your USB cable also. I personally have had four sony's and have been happy with all. As for the Pixels, 5 o6 is good for storage of photos but if your going to email them, that will be a large file and hard to open for many. Good Luck

Just got a Kodak V705 before our vacation a month ago. I like it. 7.1 megapixel, 5x optical zoom, small, does video.

Another thing you may want to look into as you search for cameras is what type of storage it uses. SD Card, etc. If your going to use video, you'll drain your memory fast so you will need multiple memory cards. Most SD cards are fairly cheap now, but memory sticks are a little more costly. Also, what type of reader do you have on your computer. Some have a multi slot while some don't. You can always download by using your USB cable also. I personally have had four sony's and have been happy with all. As for the Pixels, 5 o6 is good for storage of photos but if your going to email them, that will be a large file and hard to open for many. Good Luck

Yea, I figure on getting whatever card I need, I figure a single 1 gig or so card will be good for me for at least a while, so what type it uses isnt tops on my priority list. My computer doesnt have a card reader so Ill just use the USB or maybe buy a card reader.
Any suggestions on a particular Sony that meets the requirements I lined out above?
And yea, they will be big for email, but Id rather have to edit to make it fit email then not have as high quality pic for other things.
Thanks for all your suggestions

My dad has the digital rebel... Oh boy... It's bad...
Yea :D they have a new one out now thats like 10 or 12 megapixal :shock: :mrgreen:

Just got a Kodak V705 before our vacation a month ago. I like it. 7.1 megapixel, 5x optical zoom, small, does video.
Thanks for the suggestion, Ill check it out

hey I just went to Kodaks website to look that camera over. Have you used the panoramic function yet? Does it work good?

Thanks!

Back