The OFFICIAL Random thread

8 a.m. I'm gonna be ready to rock an roll with the son of a biscuit, think I'm just gonna use wood.

Just used wood, the boston butt was edible. I put some pork chops on also ,just in case. They turned out great. I figure no big thick pieces of meat in the thing like the Boston butt , but maybe good for steaks , chicken, chops. fish. just gotta play with it. One good thing, not gonna spend money on charcoal.

Just used wood, the boston butt was edible. I put some pork chops on also ,just in case. They turned out great. I figure no big thick pieces of meat in the thing like the Boston butt , but maybe good for steaks , chicken, chops. fish. just gotta play with it. One good thing, not gonna spend money on charcoal.

Sry to hear you ended up butt hurt.

Did you wrap the butt in foil at all?
Personally i get a cast iron pan real hot and brown all the sides for 3-5 min. When the meat is turned the cooked side has a crust almost burnt surface. Then season and seal foil for 3/4 cook time then open the foil or remove depending on what you are doing.

Anyway its a learning process. Im still learning.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

No, I did not wrap it in foil. Followed the recipe that came with the grill, injected it with apple juice which is supposed to help tenderize it. Coated it with mustard, then added seasoning on top of the mustard. While I'm doing this I am questioning the process. How is it going to get the smoke flavor with all this mustard and seasoning on it. Also I question wrapping it in foil , If it's wrapped in foil how to heck is it getting smoked ?
So this is my first time, the porkchops turned out great. Did not add anything to them. Out of the package and onto the grill, was nice and moist with a delightful flavor. Next experiment is chicken and salmon, maybe hotdogs wrapped in bacon.

So I is back lol. one eye closed so I can see the skreen, one of those,lol. ok wraping it up in foil is cheating. I thunk.

That's one man skill that I've never developed. I'm no good at grilling, smoking, or any type of outdoor food preparation.
I always get distracted, or go inside for a beer, and come back when I see all the black smoke coming out the grill.

Hotdogs came out really good, like the porkchops. Appears to me that having the food at the oppisite end of the grill away from the heat source is the best spot. Have not added a pan of water to the grill for moisture. I'm going to try that next time, and have the pan of water over top of the heat source.

The one i had was brinkman i think. It looked a bit like R2D2. It had a two racks and a pan for water or drippings.
Water made a difference. It kept the bottom of the food from scorching.

Working on weekend because of some technical issues at work. I feel like I will sleep late (or not at all) because of this coffee.

The one i had was brinkman i think. It looked a bit like R2D2. It had a two racks and a pan for water or drippings.
Water made a difference. It kept the bottom of the food from scorching.

did you notice the moisture content of the food was more ? Thinking about putting apple juice in the pan instead of water. Since what I have seen on utube they seem to be a big fan of apple juice.

Its not steaming or boiling. But its just not scorched on one side and done on the other.

Again I’m no expert.

Last edited:
Ok, so today I have 2 chicken breast on the smoker. I watched a video on utube, that instructed me to have the grill at about 250 for an hour and a half. Well the chicken was not up to 160 degrees after that. So I'm throwing the wood to it, to get up to 325. see what happens.

Pulled some overgrown blue juniper out with the jeep and recovery strap.

Trick was loosening the earth around the root ball. Then wrap the strap around the stem as it comes out of the ground. Then the running ends over the top to the ball on the jeep. With the strap over the top it rolls the plant out. Otherwise it snaps it off or doesn’t move.

The roots of those plants are not deep or at least not the thick roots.

I just pulled out large dead Oleander with the jeep last weekend. I dug as much as I could, hooked up the strap, and had all four tires squealing. Ultimately I had to get a good rolling start about 20 times, and dig some more in-between pulls. Took way more effort than I would have expected.

Back