Manual or Auto

reality_check

Hello All

Can anyone advise if their is a particular advantage of having a manual or auto gear box when driving off road.

I am going to look at 1999 Jeep Cherokee on Saturday which is a 4.0 auto and the majority of the time I will using it for commuting and on road driving but I really would like to pursue the off road ability of the vehicle and was wondering if anyone had any opinions (i'm sure you all do) of which is best for off road work.

Cheers

Paul

Get what your most comfortable driving with. I have a 5spd manual and there are sometimes when I'm driving on road that I wish it was an automatic. There are also times off road when I wish it was auto. Automatics are generally bigger and harder to keep cool when driving slow off road.

I think you have more control with an auto. Though
there is something to be said for revving it up and dumping the clutch as well. Boils down to personal preference. If you like the rest of the Jeep, go for it. You'll like the auto in the Cherokee.

yeah pretty much what they said .. i have a 5 speed and my wife can drive it but if it was an auto she could be alot more comforable off road and share in the joys with me but its like everything practice makes perfect haha or some banged up body panels haha

you can use the clutch to crawl over rocks...... manual all the way, more control in my opinion...... and get a thumb throttle too......

Kinda depends on the type of wheeling you do.

When I was in El Paso, almost all of the 4 wheeling were of the large hill climb types. With an auto, there's very little lost in shift while on an incline. Manuals are at pretty big disadvantage there.

Trailing, I'd say it's it's a wash, but I agree with Rooster and the others, there's generally more control with the auto.

I've got 2 stick shifts and love them both. For offroading I feel like I have more control with a stick and using the engine to break is a plus in some situations. Also being able to push start the jeep is a little bonus. Been a couple of times when i've killed the starter and was forced to pull/push start it. A buddy of mine hydrolocked his stick XJ after we drained the oil changed the air filter, the starter wouldn't start it. After pull starting it about a 1/2 mile she was good to go.

thats my two cents

There are upteen threads on the manual vs. auto debate and the one thing we can agree on is that it boils down to personal preference. What I was saying was that if you like the rest of the Cherokee, then go for it. The autos in them are tough and reliable.

FYI..when you truly hydrolock an engine, you need to pull the plugs and cycle the engine to let the water out of the cylinders or you run the risk of bending the pushrods.

There are upteen threads on the manual vs. auto debate and the one thing we can agree on is that it boils down to personal preference...........

:agree: I like the manual, but I've liked a manual in anything I've ever owned........just what I prefer. But I spill a whole lot less coffee with an automatic!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
There are upteen threads on the manual vs. auto debate and the one thing we can agree on is that it boils down to personal preference...........

:agree: X2 If you are use to one more than the other then maybe that is the way to go. I have owned both stick and auto in many a different vehicles and i now prefer auto. I have grown tired of stick because i have owned more of them then auto. If you put a auto in lowest gear and the transfer case in 4-lo then it will brake like a manual. In my opinion if you go with a auto you have the best of both worlds.

Back