Jeep Accident injures friend

redrooster

I was supposed to be on a weekend long camping and Jeeping trip, but illness kept me from going. One of the guys who went called me today to give me some bad news. Saturday evening about dark, the guys were heading back to camp from riding. My friend was standing behind one Jeep when he was struck from behind by another Jeep that was unoccupied and had come out of gear. He was smashed between the two Jeeps and cut in the front and back around the top of his right leg. The area is very remote and he nearly bled out before they could get him into the nearest little town where an ambulance met up with them. He was lucky with no broken bones, but has a multitude of stitches and lost alot of blood.
Evidently they had worked on the clutch linkage friday and this was the second time that the Jeep had come out of gear saturday.
I wanted to post this as a reminder to everyone to be mindful of how you operate your vehicle as well as maintain it. You may prevent injuries to yourself, family and your friends.

Sorry to hear that Red. I don't have an e-brake on my rig, but I always try to chock the wheel somehow. Whether it's backing a tire against a tree, or stopping with one tire on the back side of a rock. Keep us informed on how he does.

man, sorry to hear about that red. Good point about keeping your rigs in good shape before going out on the trail. Am glad I gave blood the other day at the red cross drive.

Just goes to show how fast things can change. It's a reminder to not only keep everything in working order, but also to say what needs to be said to those you care about every day. You never know when you might not ever get the chance to tell them what they mean to you.

I hope he has a speedy, full recovery. Keep us posted, red.

I spoke with my friend on the phone last night. He is doing ok and will be released on Tuesday. They are monitoring for infections and also want him to be able to get up and walk before he leaves. He seemed to be in good spirits.

am glad to hear he is doing ok. As sparky said Previous, I hope he has a speedy recovery, full recovery. and the same to his family. sure they were pretty stressed over the situation.

Sounds like even though it was bad, it could have been a heck of a lot uglier. Glad he is recuperating okay.

I had a paramedic buddy lose his leg in sorta the same way, only a drunk rear-ended the fire rescue truck and pushed it into the back of the ambulance, pinning him in between. He would have lost both legs, but he was just stepping up into it when he got hit, so one leg was already up out of the way. Another couple of seconds and he prolly would still have both legs. Things change fast.

One of the guys went by to see him during lunch today and he was up and around on a walker. They are going to release him on crutches in the morning.
The guy whose Jeep was the culprit is a rookie to trail riding, but should have known better than to leave it unchocked especially if it had already come out of gear once. The place is not hurting for oak trees and rocks.

One of the guys went by to see him during lunch today and he was up and around on a walker. They are going to release him on crutches in the morning.
Very good news!

The guy whose Jeep was the culprit is a rookie to trail riding, but should have known better than to leave it unchocked especially if it had already come out of gear once. The place is not hurting for oak trees and rocks.

That kind of thing only happens to other people and their Jeeps, right?:roll: Yeah, once is more than enough for me....fortunately, around here there really aren't any hills to speak of that I park on, but anytime I'm on even a bit of a slant, I'll do what I can to make sure I have a primary (in gear) and failsafe redundant (e-brake, rock, curb, tree, ricer, etc.) to keep it in place.

Let's also not forget that we need to be careful ourselves about our own safety (and that of others) when we're out of our jeeps. Don't stand directly below a parked or stopped jeep, don't stand where a jeep is going to come rocketing up a hard hill, don't stand anywhere near a winch line under load, etc.

Let's also not forget that we need to be careful ourselves about our own safety (and that of others) when we're out of our jeeps. Don't stand directly below a parked or stopped jeep, don't stand where a jeep is going to come rocketing up a hard hill, don't stand anywhere near a winch line under load, etc.

All excellent points, and there are many more. Gives me an idea for Terry to put up a sticky thread with safety tips and ideas. Things like you mentioned, or tying a heavy blanket around a winch line, tow line, snatch strap, etc. to deaden the recoil should it break, chocking and blocking a vehicle when on a jack, spotting hill tops to warn others of oncoming rigs. So many things to make note of....mebbe if this snowstorm doesn't hit tonight, I'll write up something. 10 years as a safety officer for EMS should give a couple good ideas, right?:p

Glad to hear he's doing o.k., red. We just had our monthly safety meeting today and got to see a bunch of slides (again :shock: ) of similar accidents...........though these were all fatal. Anytime we're all around machines, you gotta look out for YOURS and look out for THEIRS!!!! Good of you to post the thread........we all need constant reminders.

I spoke with my friend on the phone last night. He is doing ok and will be released on Tuesday. They are monitoring for infections and also want him to be able to get up and walk before he leaves. He seemed to be in good spirits.

Whoa, I'm glad to hear he's alright.

When the dust settles (and humor seems appropriate), I am going to propose that the owner of the runaway vehicle get the nickname "Chock Block." Maybe this will serve as a reminder of what he needs to do when parking.

Back