credit card number stolen....

That does suck, 90. I'm betting it was the Sears call center that did it. Seems I remember reading something a while back about several people being busted at a Sears call center for doing that very same thing.

I've never had my cc info stolen, knock on wood, but it's bound to happen, I'm sure. It'll be hard for them to do, because we have only one regular cc, and I have a Visa Check Card. We almost never use them.

talk about something sucking...we have only used the card once over the phone at Sears catalog and one other place in town, for a total of 2 times over the last month. The rest of the time, the card stays in my wallet, how in the He*l did someone jack up my card then?
I've heard of personal info being stolen over cordless phones. Don't know if this has anything to do with your issue, but it can be done. If you ordered stuff with a 900mhz cordless phone anyone within at least 1/2 mile radius could pick it up with a good frequency scanner.
Your card info could've been jaked at one of the stores you used the card at. That happens all the time.

Especially if you use it at restaurants... I hate paying with CC at a place where they take the card from you at your table and go away to pay. So easy for a person to write down all the numbers if they were so inclined.

Currently, my credit is so bad, I don't worry at all about them getting my cc number. Heck, maybe after looking at it, the thief will feel so bad, they'll make a payment on it!:lol:

That does suck, 90. I'm betting it was the Sears call center that did it. Seems I remember reading something a while back about several people being busted at a Sears call center for doing that very same thing.

I've never had my cc info stolen, knock on wood, but it's bound to happen, I'm sure. It'll be hard for them to do, because we have only one regular cc, and I have a Visa Check Card. We almost never use them.

Yeah, I'm the same way, we use the checking cards and we only use the actual credit card once a month or so and we hardly ever carry any balance of over $100 on it, so this one was easy to spot.

About a month or so ago , I had someone send 981$ to the Ukrane thru western union with my fifth third check card. Western Union caught it as fraud , so they never got the money. It was a big hassle though and it took about a week before i got my money back.

Yeah, somebody got my card # and bought service from rapidshare and skype (both net services). I called and the CC company (citi) reversed the charges and issued me a new card. It is irritating and scary when you know somebody out there has your info. We buy EVERYTHING with our citi card (get 5% back on gas, grocerys, and drug store purchases) and it gets us about 500-600/year back. Course you have to pay the balance in full every month or the CC company will get that cash back money and more out of you in the form in intrest. I check our CC balance online every day or two and make sure nothing fishy is going on. Helps make sure the wife is keeping her spending in check too because she knows I check the balance often.

that really sucks. i had a similar thing happen to me and we only thought it was the one card until months later i started getting collection notices, bills and other crap at my old address that woke me up. I had to contact three different police departments before I got some actual help. One told me to fill out a police report and offered me no advice and the one told me that I had to personally go to every city/town were i suspected a fraud was commited and fill out a report (load of crap). The problem is very small towns and some bigger ones don't have even one detective that is trained in fruad so getting good help is tuff.

Here's what you need to do to protect yourself and minimize damage:

1) notify your financial instittutions and current credit card company's even if they weren't affected. some banks will allow you to put a restriction on your account that you must bank in the branch and show ID or give a password each time
2) call ALL three major credit agencies and request your reports be mailed ot you immediatley - they CAN NOT charge you if you are fraud victim. Ask that your credit be "Frozen".
3) if you find any more inaccuracies file a police report. you can do this at either your local station or were you think the fraud initiated. when checking your reports pay attention to addresses you never lived at or jobs you never held. the person who stole my identy got a job in my name (the irs tried to make me pay taxes on it), co-signed for a car, cashed stolen checks against my account, had new cards for my current accounts sent to her address, opened new accounts, wrote checks on my account and a new one she opened, financed 20 new computers, legally changed my address, got a drivers license (despite the fact that she was a different race, age, a foot taller than me, and about 40 pound thinner), and collected/cashed my student loan refund check. all in about 10 days. becareful.
** your local police department should be able to give you a black workbook with red letters that says "F.B.I.'s guide to I.D. Fraud" do everything it says. there are also affidavids of fraud in the book should you need them. You can also file a complaint online with the FTC and they will give your more tips**
4) Upgrade your internet security and only use incrypted sites for payment.

Back