Re-cy-cling?

Recycling in your area?

• We have a convenient service, and use it.

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • We have a convenient service, and don't use it.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • It's a stretch, but we go out of the way and do it.

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • No recycling in this area.

Votes: 17 21.0%

• Total voters

Saurian

Just one of my totally off-the-wall, people-watching curiosities that come up as I sit here listening to opera with my morning coffee...

Since we Jeepers on this board come from all over the country/world, from various walks of life, such things interest me...

What do you do for recycling? I have been places where you have to drive your garbage and recyclables to the County Dump... I have been places where private trash service does not include it. Me, personally, I live in a nice little suburb in Metro Detroit, where we have manditory curbside recycling service... You put it all out in one bin, and it gets picked up on garbage day. I'm an avid recycler, all things metal, plastic, glass, and paper... Just curious to see how it is around the country and the world.

*and this thread is totally NOT a "you're killing the planet and shall suffer accordingly if you don't recycle" thread... Just curious how things differ around the country.

I take all of my tree limbs and brush to the city yard where they grind it into mulch and we save all aluminum cans and any others we can get easy and sell them for vacation change.

thats about the extent of our recycling.

Curbside pick-up here in Dayton/OH too - same day as regular trash p/u. Container provided by city for glass, plastic, metal & paper. Picked up every 2 weeks.

Not sure about all of Salt Lake City but here in Herriman we have two recycling containers one for paper, and one for plastic. We have a dark green that is picked up every other week thats for yard clippings only and a light green trash one. If it wasnt for my neighbors putting out their containers I wouldn't know which one to put out!
As many of you know we live in a horse community and Herriman offers a service that it will come by with a front end loader and pick up your horse droppings pile...for a fee of course...then they sell it to dump for there compose piles....no dumb city I live in....hehehe.

When I was living in Sandy Utah we had just two containers one for trash and one for recycle stuff.

So far I love Herriman more, even though I get nasty notes on my trash cans about putting broken jeep parts in them.

Here in Southern Louisiana, there's NOTHING!!! Really, really shocks me..........."Sportsman's Paradise" (as our license plates say..).........my eye! Why all of our states don't follow Michigan, Maine, etc. etc.'s example and enact deposit laws is beyond me. Never seen so much trash........along the highways, in every gully, on my property??:shock:

I only recycle cans by curb pick up.

I actually read some pretty convincing evidence to suggest that all other forms of recycling are actually more detrimental to the environment in the end, after you consider transport, processing, labor, chemicals to return to a usable form, etc.

The study did find that cans are the only form of recycle that don't have a "caloric deficit" in terms of pollution.

This is a topic close to my heart Saurian. I love curbside services. In the city here it is free. However I don't live in the city. I pay for regular trash removal but my company doesn't offer recycling services.

I haul my stuff to a roadside recycling center about five miles away. This is totally incovienent on some days and on some it's managable. It just depends on my direction.

Curbside pick-up here in Dayton/OH too - same day as regular trash p/u. Container provided by city for glass, plastic, metal & paper. Picked up every 2 weeks.

Same here in Memphis but we've never done it. I can't say why we just never separate our stuff.

VA beach has a seperate can for all paper / cans / plastic, picked up every two weeks

I lived in Fairfax VA, and watched as every week our garbage contractor would pick up everyone's recycle bins, and throw the contents in the back of the trash truck along with all the other trash. Use to get me steamed.

We have a weekly curbside pickup of recyclable goods. The township provides large red bins which we fill weekly with metal cans, plastics, glass, etc. We have a big family and usually use 2 of the bins each week... sometimes 3. There is a bi-annual tax for trash and recyclable collection, but it's not a bad deal at all. We are very careful about separating it all.

I'm with Mingez... The only thing worth recycling is metal, specifically aluminum, but tin is good as well. Anything else is just a waste of time and money, its only good for creating jobs and turning people into routine robots. However, it is good to see that people care enough to take part in what is widely thought of as being a beneficial program.

I'm with Mingez... The only thing worth recycling is metal, specifically aluminum, but tin is good as well. Anything else is just a waste of time and money, its only good for creating jobs and turning people into routine robots. However, it is good to see that people care enough to take part in what is widely thought of as being a beneficial program.

I agree, while I'm not convinced (even as an environmentalist) that recycling actually helps in the end, I love the fact that people care!

<---------So curious now.

Curious why we don't? It's not something I'm against. I still have the tub they gave us when we moved in. I think you're supposed to put papers plastic cans etc all in the one tub. I guess it's because we've just never made the effort. We don't have anywhere to put the stuff in the house before they pick up I also don't feel it really makes that much of a difference. Danged apathy I guess. It's one of those things I know we should....but don't. :redface:

Curious why we don't? It's not something I'm against. I still have the tub they gave us when we moved in. I think you're supposed to put papers plastic cans etc all in the one tub. I guess it's because we've just never made the effort. We don't have anywhere to put the stuff in the house before they pick up I also don't feel it really makes that much of a difference. Danged apathy I guess. It's one of those things I know we should....but don't. :redface:

Hahahaha! I'm an idiot! :purple: :purple: :purple:

I read this sentence wrong:
I can't say why we just never separate our stuff.

I thought you meant that there's some private reason (as in, you aren't ALLOWED to say why you don't separate stuff). :purple:

I'm a tool. :p

I'm in Oregon. It's against our religion to not recycle I think.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oceans/la-me-ocean2aug02,0,3130914.story

There is an article on what plastic does to our oceans. I saw this months ago and It really impacted how I think about recycling.

I'm not trying to sway anyone either way. It's just a great example of "out of sight, out of mind" but sometimes we really do need to think outside of our own personal lives when it comes to these type of things.

LJF

P.S. Check out the picture/video link on the right. The pictures are what got to me.

Last edited:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oceans/la-me-ocean2aug02,0,3130914.story

There is an article on what plastic does to our oceans. I saw this months ago and It really impacted how I think about recycling.

I'm not trying to sway anyone either way. It's just a great example of "out of sight, out of mind" but sometimes we really do need to think outside of our own personal lives when it comes to these type of things.

LJF

P.S. Check out the picture/video link on the right. The pictures are what got to me.

Yeah, that's no bueno. Make sure to dispose of plastic appropriately. Also, I avoid buying plastic...although usually hard to do.

As I am in the field of commercial janitorial, recycling means something to me.

As our local recycling partners say, the one major contributor that needs to be changed is single serving water containers. Generally made of plastic, they fill land fills very quickly. Even crushing or shredding them makes for massive air filled spaces in the land fills. After all, not everyone recycles and there are mixed opinions.

In the industry, Green Cleaning enforces a need for recycling as well as cleaning chemicals that are not damaging to the individual using them, to the building tenants they are used around, or to the ecology in a general way.

Times are changing!

Back