My First TJ

tardis454

I bought a 98 TJ yesterday for $1500 with a bad 2.5 motor, and bad brake and transmission lines from sitting. It has 55,000 original miles, 3 Tops, Hood Bra, CD, Foglights, Headlight/Tailight blackouts, etc. I've wanted a TJ for a while now, and I got it! It's a very nice Jeep...I plan on rebuilding one of the three 2.5L cores I have laying around. The only thing I don't like about it is the auto trans. I wanted a 5spd, but I couldn't pass up this deal. :shock:
MVC316F-1.jpg

MVC317F1-1.jpg

Sounds like a good deal and a good project. I have to wonder why the motor went out after only 55k though.

Sounds like a good deal and a good project. I have to wonder why the motor went out after only 55k though.
The guy told me his wife ran it out of oil 2 yrs ago. It still starts right up, runs, drives, stops with the e-brake lol, but the engine knocks like a MoFo; one of the rod bearings let go. They don't have the money for a new motor, so I got it.

Sweet deal! I was leery of buying my '91 with a 3 speed auto, but it has been extremely reliable and it is nice to "point and shoot".

The only complaint is a lack of an overdrive, it would get better highway mileage with a decent OD.

I pulled the engine today. It took longer to clean up the garage good enough to start working than it did to take the engine out. My friend took some pics. He's going to email them to me tonite. I'll post them when I get them.
This TJ is very clean underneath. It needs brake, fuel, and transmission lines, but everything else looks great. I'm going to take advantage of the engine being out and rustproof everything. :purple:

$1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................no way you can go wrong, no matter what you plan for her. Great deal!

$1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................no way you can go wrong, no matter what you plan for her. Great deal!
I know, I'm still in disbelief myself. I thought $5,000 was a good deal for my 99' XJ with 53,000 miles. This deal blows that one away. I bought it off of a local Deputy Sheriff too boot. His wife wanted it out of the driveway asap.

I know, I'm still in disbelief myself. I thought $5,000 was a good deal for my 99' XJ with 53,000 miles. This deal blows that one away. I bought it off of a local Deputy Sheriff too boot. His wife wanted it out of the driveway asap.

You be what's known as a "LUCKY DOG"!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!

Thanks for the thumbs up guys....
Tonite I disassembled the engine. The #1 rod bearing is spun. When I took it apart there was no bearing attached to the cap at all, just burnt, case hardened junk. The other 3 rod bearings are on there way out too. They all have blue heat scorch marks, and scored burnt bearings. Every connecting rod is junk. The main bearings, cam, lifters, and head are in great shape. They all look like they came out of a 55,000 mile engine. The only other thing I found wrong was the #3 cylinder bore has some minor wear, but it mic's up fine, right at 3.875 like it's supposed to be. I think I can use this engine. It might need honed/bored, and it needs a new crank and connecting rods, but it's in pretty good shape considering it was run out of oil. 8)

I got my engine back from the machine shop Friday and spent the weekend assembling it.

MVC414F-1.jpg

I used a 95' YJ short block punched .020 over,and the 98' TJ's head.
I installed Keith Black pistons, a Mellings oil pump, cam, lifters, timing set.
It should have a little more pep now :lol:

I have enough spare parts to build another engine too...

MVC416F-1.jpg

Tomorrow it gets paint and accessories...

Dang, I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it! Helluva deal, bud! Looks super clean from what I could see in the first few pics, and with only 55k on it, I would imagine it's good to go on the inside, too! Probably still has a hint of that new car smell to go with the new car dash, huh? :lol: Sorry, just couldn't resist taking a jab at a TJ. Seriously, nice catch! So what will the total $$ be that you have in it when you're done?

Sparky-Watts said:
So what will the total $$ be that you have in it when you're done?

Purchase Price $1500
Machine work $ 750
Rebuild kit $ 375
Misc $ 100

Not bad huh?

...and yes it does still has a hint of new car smell.

Nice find.
I personally would have jumped at the chance to install a real motor though. An LS1 would have looked good under there.

Nice find.
I personally would have jumped at the chance to install a real motor though. An LS1 would have looked good under there.
I considered V8-ing it, but with the way gas prices are I decided to keep the 4cyl.
I don't need a powerhouse, just a good solid daily driver for the woman..

10-4. She probably would have got in trouble for drag racing mustangs anyway.

Back