Cool video... cool job... Not for me though.

You couldn't pay me enough to do that. A good friend lost 9 feet of his intestines from 3rd degree burn when a 440 line arched through him. That stuff they were doing... HELL NO!

Electricity, heights, and women... every lineman's worst fears :lol:

When I was in the IBEW, every once in a while you'd meet some yahoo who claimed to have done that helicopter work. All of them were lying. Those guys have specific jobs and that's all they do. That is linework to the nth degree!

I've walked wire, but not nearly that high and always "dead and grounded". I think I posted pics here before...

Electricity, heights, and women... every lineman's worst fears :lol:

When I was in the IBEW, every once in a while you'd meet some yahoo who claimed to have done that helicopter work. All of them were lying. Those guys have specific jobs and that's all they do. That is linework to the nth degree!

I've walked wire, but not nearly that high and always "dead and grounded". I think I posted pics here before...

you have to be at peace with yourself to do that job and never take anything for granted. I admire them for sure:)

you have to be at peace with yourself to do that job and never take anything for granted
Yeah but if you think about it, driving an automobile is far more dangerous. If you lived your life without ever seeing an automobile, then someone took you for a ride on the Baltimore beltway at 70 mph in rush hour you'd crap your pants :lol:

Those lines are so high I'd be more afraid of falling instead of getting shocked.

I was driving down the highway one afternoon and saw a helicopter getting real close to the lines. At first I was sure he was going to crash and I couldn't figure out why the heck he was getting so close. Then I see the guy jump out and onto the tower. I was awestruck! I didn't know they did that, but it makes sense when you think about all the power lines that must go thru remote areas.

I saw a thing on the Discov Chan a few months back about those guys, crazy job if you ask me.

Bump that.
That rig they were fastening to the line looked like it would stop you from falling so long as the lines were intact. If the lines happened to break, they were s.o.l. unless they were real quick at knot tying.
What exactly were they checking for anyway? The line is there, it's getting power at the other end...what's to check? If they were checking for stressed areas, then I'll be darn if I would be hanging from it.
I hope those boys get PAID!

Bump that.
That rig they were fastening to the line looked like it would stop you from falling so long as the lines were intact. If the lines happened to break, they were s.o.l. unless they were real quick at knot tying.
What exactly were they checking for anyway? The line is there, it's getting power at the other end...what's to check? If they were checking for stressed areas, then I'll be darn if I would be hanging from it.
I hope those boys get PAID!

funny you should ask that. I was talking to a guy today who has done that kind of work on those transmission lines although not live ones. He said the insulators and the separators are ceramic and needed inspected and replaced often and it cost too much to shut the line down in order to do the maintenance so they developed ways to do it "hot"

We've got a company that flies out of the airport I work at that does this. It's a full time....60 to 80 hr a week job. The only time they don't fly is in heavy rain. The helicopter is a Hughes 500 which is a small 4 seater helicopter, they always have 3 people on board when they fly. Pilot, Spotter and Lineman. Their main job is Insulators and tower hardware that is remote and/or on a line that can not be shut down. Also a vast majority of the work is also inspecting lines. You wouldn't believe some of the pictures of worn and damaged lines and towers that they have found / replaced. The one picture i've seen is of a hunting arrow that was shot through a line completely. Anyway, I've inquired about a job several times, but still have not got anywhere.

As far as the moive....that seems kind of staged to me...what i've witnessed has been that a majority of the work is directly from the helicopter. But i'm sure every job is different.

One thing that I read a couple of posts ago is regarding people thinking they are tangled in the lines, well we get calls almost everytime they are out in the area from people asking. Also so do the local police departments and fire departments. They have a huge list of protocols of people to warn before they even think about getting towards a line now because of the amount of calls.

Sorry for the long post.

Back