DC Trip

mingez

Hey all, in August I'm going to DC for some much deserved time off and vacationing. I was wondering if any of you wack jobs familiar with the area could point me out to some cool, "Not so obvious" places to see in DC.

The mall is a must, Smithsonian, Art Museum, blah blah. But what sort of stuff should I check out that most people don't know about?

Restaurants (<50 bucks), local dives, clubs, bars, live music, yada yada....

Thanks in advance.

Man, the heck with the mall, you can shop at home!
You need to see things like the Lincoln Memorial, Constitution Gardens, the Washington Monument, and the West Potomac Park, they are all right there close to each other.

gotcha.:funny:

Seriously, If I were going, I would want to see the Vietnam Memorial Wall, I haven't been there since it was put up.

I'll get back to you on that, Mingez. I worked in DC for a couple years and know my way around pretty well. I also lived in neighboring MD for about 20 years so I have alot of suggestions for ya. You visiting anyone on the area or just going there to see it all?

I know several night spots but haven't been to any of them in over a decade so I'll ask around and get back to you on that too.

All I can tell you is don't even think about driving anywhere......there's absolutely NO parking down where all the stuff is. They've got a great subway system, though..........take you anywhere you want to go. And I'm pretty sure you don't mind walking a bit. How much time will you have? You could spend at least a week in the Smithsonian and still not see everything. Takes some planning (what do I REALLY want to see?). The VietNam memorial is a must see............gets really quiet when you go there.

BTW..............if you happen to find a camcorder on a bench by the Smithsonian......my dumb-arse ex-wife left one there!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy!

If you plan on seeing the monuments, and don't want to waste time driving/parking/walking between each of them, take one of the bike tours.

In a half day, I saw Vietnam Wall memorial, Korean War memorial, WWII monument, Lincoln monument, Jefferson monument, FDR monument (most impressive, to me), Tidal basin. You'll go by Washington monument as well.

$40 gets you a bike, helmet, water, guided tour with good info, and more than enough time to see each.

Plus, the breeze on the bike is good during the summer.

Check out www.bikethesites.com

I also went to Blues Alley in Georgetown, which had an outstanding jazz set when I was there. Saw the new Spy museum, which was ok, but not a highlight of the trip.

Oh, and stay outside DC and take the subway/literail in and out of the city. Cheaper hotel rates, and much better than driving/parking around the city.

New Native American museum is an architectural achievement on the outside, but a mishmash of unedited exhibits on the inside. (Do I really need to see an exhibit of a television and a coke can to know how one of the tribes lives today?) It would be better pared down. Apparently all tribes were given space, and some did a much better job than others.

Last edited:
All I can tell you is don't even think about driving anywhere......there's absolutely NO parking down where all the stuff is. They've got a great subway system, though..........take you anywhere you want to go. And I'm pretty sure you don't mind walking a bit. How much time will you have? You could spend at least a week in the Smithsonian and still not see everything. Takes some planning (what do I REALLY want to see?). The VietNam memorial is a must see............gets really quiet when you go there.

BTW..............if you happen to find a camcorder on a bench by the Smithsonian......my dumb-arse ex-wife left one there!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy!
Yeah, we are going to take the Metro from my Dad's hotel.

I'll keep an eye out for your Camera. LOL

I'll get back to you on that, Mingez. I worked in DC for a couple years and know my way around pretty well. I also lived in neighboring MD for about 20 years so I have alot of suggestions for ya. You visiting anyone on the area or just going there to see it all?

I know several night spots but haven't been to any of them in over a decade so I'll ask around and get back to you on that too.

I figured you might have some ideas...I knew you lived near by.

I'm visiting my Dad (who's training with Northrup Grumman out there), my ex GF Michelle (Don't tell my current GF, JK she knows), my buddy Mike up in Jersey, and my Aunt up in Philly.

So, I'll be driving quite a bit.

The museums in the mall (smithsonian, aerospace, natural history) could take a day each if you wanted to. They are all very large and full of exhibits. I would maybe do a little homework and pick some exhibits to check out, and see them. If you get sucked into just walking through them it'll no doubt take all day for one of them. Not a bad thing, but if you have time constraints...

As for night life in DC, Georgetown is where it's at. If you go to the corner of Wisconsin and M streets, and go either direction on M you'll find some happenin' spots and some of the most incredible women (Gtown is full of embassies which have their country's most beautiful women).

For the absolute best barBque style foods on Earth, go to Rockland's on Wisconsin Avenue. It is just south of the Russian Embassy (stay out of Good Guys and Jp's on the same block unless you like naked women :lol:). Back to Rocklands... their pit beef is excellent, their pulled chicken sandwich is unbelievable, and their famous baked beans are to die for. Get yourself a jar of their BBQ sauce to take home, it is one of the best I have tried and a unique flavor. their cornbread ain't bad, either ;)

More to follow.... no time

(stay out of Good Guys and Jp's on the same block unless you like naked women :lol:).

I'm sorry, could you rewrite your post without this sentence? All of the rest of your post looks like Sanskrit with that in the middle.. :lol:

(Mental note, go to Jp's and Good Guys on Wisconsin...)

I'm sorry, could you rewrite your post without this sentence? All of the rest of your post looks like Sanskrit with that in the middle.. :lol:

(Mental note, go to Jp's and Good Guys on Wisconsin...)

Well the only time I have been to either of them was at work on a trouble ticket. I don't go to such establishments but I must say it was hard to keep focused on my job and I have definitely had worse trouble tickets in my career as a "phone man".

Well the only time I have been to either of them was at work on a trouble ticket. I don't go to such establishments but I must say it was hard to keep focused on my job and I have definitely had worse trouble tickets in my career as a "phone man".

did you find any "trouble" while there?:D

I had to fix a couple shorts... that's all.

JK

{{{Rim Shot sounds in the back round!}}} :lol:

For the record, I don't waste money in such establishments either. Thankfully, my friends aren't the type to go to places like that unless it's a bachelor's party or Vegas.

Georgetown x 4.
I went to the US Mint when I was a kid. That was pretty cool. Bring me back a souvenir.
You could also get a visit with your Congressman. Sometimes they will have an aid give you a tour of the Capitol.
You also have Monticello and Mount Vernon, the homes of Thomas Jefferson and George Washington.
They used to have tours of the J. Egar Hoover FBI building, but not sure if they do that any more.

Georgetown x 4.
I went to the US Mint when I was a kid. That was pretty cool. Bring me back a souvenir.
You could also get a visit with your Congressman. Sometimes they will have an aid give you a tour of the Capitol.
You also have Monticello and Mount Vernon, the homes of Thomas Jefferson and George Washington.
They used to have tours of the J. Egar Hoover FBI building, but not sure if they do that any more.

Good advice!!! The congressman meeting and tour of the Capital is a great idea! Thanks.

Georgetown is in my future oat sowing and drinking plans---I MEAN--- socializing plans. I intend to meet some fine young ladies there for some good conversation over tea and crumpets. Tennis anyone?

Last edited:
Back