big block small block

far_right

ok i was wondering what the diffrence in a big block is versus a small block, i know there are small big blocks and big small blocks...what makes somethin a big block and what makes one a small block
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Just a stab (trying to remember words of wisdom from my Grandpa) - I believe that a BB has longer stroke and rod length (get your mind out of the gutter!!)...also a taller piston height. A BB will do what a SB will do, but at lower RPM's. A BB will also weigh about 50-70 lbs heavier. Take it with a grain of salt...it's been awhile!
image-missing.png
Patti[addsig]

Well just as the name says big block..small block. These usually refer to V8 engines. The chevy 350 is a small block. The block is rather compact and the cylinders are closer together. The orignal chevy small block is the 283. Virtually the same block was bored out and a larger crank was used to make the chevy 305, 327, 350, 383 (a 350 with a bigger crank), and 400. One can only get "so big" with that particular block...once you get to the 400cid the walls between the cylinders start to get really really thin. To get more displacement chevy also made a "big block". This allows for much larger displacement as the block is longer and taller. Displacements include 400, 427, 454, and 502 using virtually a similar design. Back in the earlier days of cars..50's 60's...weight was not an issue so big blocks were often used in many of the big cars of all the manufacturers. It came first...the small blocks came later to save wieght but still get similar displacement. Sooner or later the car makers realized that they could save weight by using a smaller more compact block. Granted...awesome horsepower can be obtained by using a big block...often 500hp or more depending on how its built...the down side is big block engines are HEAVY...a ford 460 Big block engine weighs more than 900lbs...while a chevy 350 small block is around 500lbs...the extra weight on the front of the car affects handling greatly. When you say small big blocks and big small blocks...are you talking about displacement? Like mentioned before I have seen big blocks with 350cid and small blocks with 400cid or even more. But let me tell you this...take a big block anything and put the block next to a small block anything...and you will know why they call it a BIG block heheh.[addsig]

the reason why i was wonderin was because me and my friend had a built 350 in his camero and he said it is a big block and we got into an argument about it and i was just wondering what made somethin a big block...

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i told him his 350 was a small block but he said it was "special" and that it has a big block...hahaha
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Most of the big blocks started out as truck engines. Beefier main bearings, bigger oil pump, larger bolt pattern for the bell housing and often bigger block (more metal to allow for the larger innnards). But evolved often to just designate the larger bell housing bolt pattern.

There is a 350 big block, mostly used by Olds and Caddy. It was used to save changing the drivetrain parts, in assembly and often with models that had a diesel option. The diesels mostly having the big block bell housing bolt pattern. I´m sure the practice overflowed into other GM model runs. Saves stocking different auto trannies and such.

Just to confuse the issue the 396 started out as a 348 (I think that was the smallest), and Dodge used to have a 292 Hemi.[addsig]

#1-Quinners...you rock!!!!! Always a great perspective on things.

#2-no jokes about #2 (nor #1)(no fight club jokes either)

#3-RayOvac...thanks for the history lesson! I'm serious here. I never have really known to the extent revealed in your tutorial the specifics of the engines. Maybe it's just assumed male knowledge...something strangely acquired in men from birth until the time one picks up a wrench...or winch...but not a wench...it's all about spelling, but I never knew. Nor does this boost the levels of testosterone in my system, but...it's good bar conversation with buddies...after last call...much after last call. Anyway...enough babble. Good facts. Happy New Year![addsig]

SB generally easier to find parts and adaptors for. [addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> SB generally easier to find parts and adaptors for. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

And parts are cheaper too
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back