Friend injured in Truck Accident

I met Doug a few years ago at a party at a friend's place. Helluva piano player, one of the best I've ever heard. We've kept in touch, emailing each other pretty often, and he has even invited Sunshine and I to his ranch in west Texas a couple of times. Anyway, Wednesday night he was coming home from playing a show and wrecked his pickup, rolling it several times. He has multiple injuries, most serious is the spinal injury which initially caused complete paralysis. Doctors removed a ruptured disk in his neck that was pressing on his spinal cord, and he had reported some feeling back in his hands and legs, with a little bit of movement, albeit not at all coordinated. Debbie called this afternoon and said he was probably going to have to be put back on a ventilator because of fluid buildup in his lungs. He went into respiratory distress last night and doctors removed 2 liters of fluid from his lungs. Due to the serious injuries to his abdomen and chest, along with the spinal injury, he is unable to cough, leading to a buildup of fluid. She also said he may be looking at as long as a year, maybe more, for his rehab. It is a shame to lose use of his hands, he is so gifted on the piano.

Here's more about it on his website: Doug Smith Injured in Rollover Accident

While you're there, listen to some of his music and see if you agree with me about his talent. And while you're at it, say a prayer or two for him and Debbie. They're good people, they need it. :(

man, I should have heard about him, he just lives about an hour & 1/2 from me.
Thats a shame, hope he heals up quick.

Back