What we do at work when it's 105+ out!

Sorry if I don't laugh.
One of my employees was doing the same thing one day in the shop during break time. He put too much air in and the bottle exploded. A piece of the plastic went in his eye. He went to the Dr. on his own insurance plan. When it was reported to me by his supervisor that he was putting it on his own insurance, I replied "ok" and it seemed logical since since he was horseplaying. Long story short, he was unable to go back to work and surprised us with a law suit claiming that we denied him workman's comp. He volunteered to do it on his own insurance, work comp never even came up until the suit was filed. BTW... the shop is 100 miles from my corporate office and even though I barely know the guy and had zero knowledge that this was occurring, I am the one held liable. Tell me how that is fair. It's all good though we are insured up the yin yan and after my attorney gets through with him, he'll have nothing more than a bum eye.
While I know that this is just meant to be good fun, don't be surprised if your employer fails to see the humor.

Sorry if I don't laugh.
One of my employees was doing the same thing one day in the shop during break time. He put too much air in and the bottle exploded. A piece of the plastic went in his eye. He went to the Dr. on his own insurance plan. When it was reported to me by his supervisor that he was putting it on his own insurance, I replied "ok" and it seemed logical since since he was horseplaying.
My wife is a work comp adjuster, and I know she has told me that horseplay is specifically not covered by work comp. Laws vary greatly between states, but I think that would be pretty common.

Yeah, it's dangerous and all, but it sure is fun, isn't it? I wanted to see longer clips of it. Just wear your safety glasses and you'll be fine!

You aint hurt my feelings, because it's funny everytime...(to me)

He sure knows how to ruin a good time. It stinks for him, but ya got to know where to draw the line, in this case how much air to use. My employer found it funny, he was more worried about one of the office women falling on the wet shop floor...regardless nobody was hurt.

The bottle flew up in the air, and landed in that stupid Dakota's bed...it was very funny....oh, and that's my stupid laugh.

You know what I do at work when it's 105+ plus? I clean out footings and today I laid a floor on a house, no exterior walls up yet and no trees for shade. Guess someone actually has to get something done...

My wife is a work comp adjuster, and I know she has told me that horseplay is specifically not covered by work comp. Laws vary greatly between states, but I think that would be pretty common.

You would think it wouldn't be covered in any state, but evidently they will hear the case anyway. His attorney is trying to claim that my supervisor down there had knowledge that this was going on and did not stop him from doing it. Therefore it is the employer's (my) liability.

Laura, I can appreciate a good time and have done my fair share of things like that in the past. I'm just saying...how do you think the boss would have reacted if one of the office ladies fell, broke a hip and he got sued. I don't think you would have much job security after that. Yeah it sucks that I think like that these days, but that is the letigous society we live in.

Man, I just hate seein' that water go to waste!!!!! Heat index today of around 110..............God, it's hot here in Louisiana!! Hey Laura, at least ya' got that building to block out the sun! I'd be playing with water, too, if I didn't have to drink so much!!

bayou bro',
mud

I am the Safety Director for my company. I would have stopped it. Probably would have written everyone up. My hands would have been tied by the position and the company.

It is a litigious society.

When it's 105+ at work with the heat index over 110, (like it has been all week) I sit in front of a sprinkler head for a few minutes every half hour to cool off. Funny, but even with the humidity as high as it has been, my hair will dry completely (except for the sweat) in less than 5 minutes! It sucks when I get called to a job that has a system that won't run, or has a leak and has to have the water source shut off till it's fixed! Sure makes me work faster, lemme tell ya!

I drink Coke and Gatorade all day long (I hate drinking plain water), probably about a half gallon of Coke and a gallon and a half of Gatorade. I still sweat so much that I only pee once a day when I get home at night....and then that's still not even enough to fill a shot glass. In the winter, I'll go 8-10 times a day. I know...too much information.....but that's how bad it is.

I drink Coke and Gatorade all day long (I hate drinking plain water), probably about a half gallon of Coke and a gallon and a half of Gatorade.

Does your wife know you're trying to kill yourself? Holy crap Sparky thats about the worst thing you can do. Gatorade is good for you, but not in that amount and not without water too. Coke, jeeze man I woulda thought you knew better than that...

Does your wife know you're trying to kill yourself? Holy crap Sparky thats about the worst thing you can do. Gatorade is good for you, but not in that amount and not without water too. Coke, jeeze man I woulda thought you knew better than that...

No, you are mistaken. He can easily double the amount of both on a daily basis :D

Just kidding... man you need to try to get used to water. All that sugar is really unhealthy, especially in this heat.

What I do at work when it's 105 outside....

turn the AC down.
BTW... the other day we were loading my wife's truck. It's a black truck, was sitting in the driveway running... the thermometer said 122. The highest I had ever seen it before that was 112 when we were in Daytona.

This is a sad state of affairs we have here... I'm sorry to hear about all this, but I just don't even know what to say anymore. :(

Back