Saurian's New House! *lots of pics*

Saurian

So, as you all recall, I ended up getting the dream job that I've been working to get for 5 years as a full time employee of the Madison Heights Department of Public Services, Streets and Facilities Division. This job, nay, career, enabled me to get out on my own and into a place of my own several months ago... I'm renting for a year, the house belongs to my friend's dad, after that, I'm buying it. The renting gives me time to get some work done around it, get established in my job from a credit standpoint, and save up for a down payment... Finally got around to taking the pictures of it.

Here's my photobucket album.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb35/Saurian_album/

From the front of the house, it goes: Front Room, Middle Room, Third Room, Kitchen. Bathroom and Office are off the 3rd room. Music Room and My Room are in the attic, up the stairs from the Office. Down in the basement, the Torture Room is off the basement, and the Murder Room is off the Torture Room... So named because they are very dark, dank rooms, which give off the vibe of someone being buried under the floor, and a room for torturing, what with all the various tools and such hanging from the ceiling. Kind of creepy. In the basement proper next to the door to the Torture Room is the laundry area. Through that door, and taking up the rest of the basement is the workshop area, and various junk. There are 2 other bedrooms off the Front and Middle rooms, but I didn't picture those, because my roomies are in there. The Office is the would-be third bedroom.

I love the house, I love the neighborhood, I love my lawn, and I can't wait till I get the garage cleaned out so I can start working on my Jeep in it! Anyway, just wanted to share, it's not much right now, and there's a lot of fixer-upping to be done, but I'm very pleased and proud of the place.

Last edited:

Cool!

After some of your descriptions, I had to go look!

Lot of fun! Great house!

BASEMENT!!!!! Ahhhh, how I miss basements. The last 20 years I've lived places where you dig 3 feet and you either hit water or solid rock!:shock:

AND a garage, to boot!!!! Nice place, Sean!!! Once you buy it, you ought to get a more modern power box (breakers instead of those old fuses). Wiring and electrical problems can be a REAL pain......just like Jeeps.

Oh, and pick up those dang styrofoam peanuts off the "My Room" floor!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, really nice place!!! Nothing like being a homeowner! Congrats, we're happy for ya'!!!!!

Yeha, the wiring is my primary project at the moment... It's old. It's cloth wrapped, properly known as "cambric"... It's aluminum. It's original, just one step up from knob-and-tube. A lot of it has been redone, but a lot still needs to be done. After the wiring, it's the galvanized supply lines that have to go. Fortunately, it's got a new roof, newer furnace, and the bathroom and kitchen were gutted and redone. I love the tilework in the bathroom...

The house dates from 1940. I'm told it was the original farmhouse for the area, makes sense based on it's time, location, and architecture... It's one of the oldest, if not THE oldest house in Madison Heights, being that it dates from Old Royal Oak Township, 15 years before Madison Heights was incorporated. It's got some serious charm to it.

man, what a steep roof.
You guys up north and your snow:)

Love that house!!;) ;)
Has a lot of character I'll bet

One thing... whats with the toothbrush and toothpaste in the shower?

:purple: :purple: :purple: :purple: :purple:

I like how you've accessorized with WD40 in the washer room pic:)

Seriously, I miss old houses. Grew up in one built in 1918 (which also took my family 15 years and most of my childhood to remodel--one room had 14 layers of paint and wallpaper, and the dates were written on the back of each layer, so you could tell when they were put up). My first home in Memphis was a 1920's Arts&Crafts, and I stripped the painted door knobs to reveal some great old brasswork (and netted an extra 20 grand when I sold it with more "character" a few years later).

Basements? They can be a pain when they flood, get mildewed, and you find a dead rat a few months after it chews through your phone line. I'll take a large garage with extra workroom space over a basement any day.

Basements are awesome, but detached garages absolutely rule! We had one growing up and it was like a seperate world out there.

Back