Quandry for the "olde schoole" Jeepzers, and all others concerned.

I'm wondering how much of this is my fault. I haven't been very active for probably 2 years now, and rarely ever enforce any type of order. I'm planning on getting more active shortly (more on that later). What do you guys think about moderation in general (not about or moderators, but about the art of moderating). Would a more firm hand help or hurt the site. Do we need to add some additional mods, or learn to police ourselves?

I do think this is just a growing pains, after all, we'll have our 8th birthday in December. I'm more worried about the teen years.

I'm wondering how much of this is my fault. I haven't been very active for probably 2 years now, and rarely ever enforce any type of order. I'm planning on getting more active shortly (more on that later). What do you guys think about moderation in general (not about or moderators, but about the art of moderating). Would a more firm hand help or hurt the site. Do we need to add some additional mods, or learn to police ourselves?

I do think this is just a growing pains, after all, we'll have our 8th birthday in December. I'm more worried about the teen years.

Terry,
I think a wait and watch approach and re-evaluate things in a month before making any big changes. We had a live chat on Friday night and it's just like all of the tension was gone, everybody had a great time. The only thing I would even remotely suggest is the more frequent use of the thread lock option from the mods. When a thread goes downhill and starts tempting posters into the personal attack area, have the mods lock it up with little or no warning. Locking a thread that becomes hateful prevents post from going to the next level and fights breaking out.

I think it is fine the way it is. Anytime there has been a problem, it has been dealt with appropriately. It's just that the same problem kept arising, and I am certain that everyone just grew tired of it. I'd say the mods you have in place that are still active are doing a fine job.

I agree, I think your moderating was just fine. I'm just ready to put all this behind us though. I wasn't really involved, but I hate seeing stuff like this happen, even though I'm not as tight-knit as a lot of y'all are. Continued conversation about the specifics of the incident will only anger people.

Back