Canadaville

mud4feet

Canadaville...........anybody ever heard of it???? It's well worth a Google search. Just discovered it today with all the news stations doing "2-year Katrina anniversary" shows. Pretty cool stuff.

from what I understand sounds like a Commune.
I'm not saying it's bad or good.
It works for the Amish:D
But if it can get someone working and contributing to the good of the community instead being a drain on it, so be it.

I'll be pragmatic when it comes to solving social problems from time to time.:)

lol 90

Mud - I am a big fan of anything that removes dependency and replaces it with self-support ;) I can see some serious obstacles in that type of community but it's got to be better than a welfare ghetto and I sincerely hope it does well. In the same spirit, Habitat for Humanity is a great program and has helped alot of people... one of Jimmy Carter's few successes and a damn good one ;
)

............In the same spirit, Habitat for Humanity is a great program and has helped alot of people... one of Jimmy Carter's few successes and a damn good one ;
)

Funny you should mention that!!..........Mudwoman and I have spent our last 2 Saturdays (only 10 more to go!!!!) volunteering at the first habitat house in West Feliciana Parish. 2 days work and the walls and trusses are up and the roof is partially sheeted. All this in 100+ degree heat indexes. In talking with the Habitat staff, they told me that their "chapter" (Baton Rouge) has more than doubled the houses that they have built since Katrina. I can only imagine how busy they are in New Orleans.:shock:

I just thought it was very cool that some rich guy took it upon his self to spend a bunch of his money to try to help folks out......but not just "giving" it away. It's a shame we have to have a Canadian to show us how to do it......:( ..........I guess Bill Gates (and others) don't want to "waste :shock:" their money).

As for all the Katrina victims (yeah......lots of criminals but the majority just good, but poor and black, folks)............all I can say is "there, but for the grace of God, go I................."

mud

I was able to go on a couple of church sponsored trips to Pascagoula, MS after Katrina to help gut, then rebuild peoples homes. I was impressed how much work was being done by both the people of Pascagoula and outside help.

So far what I have seen in New Orleans is that some of the people are just complaining that he government is not doing enough but I also see these same people are not helping themselves.

I have seen first hand what can be done when everybody pitches in but I do not see that happening New Orleans.

I think Habitat for Humanity will make a huge difference in New Orleans when people start wanting to help themselves.

I was down in Nawlins a few months back and was shocked to see the amount of FEMA trailers still there. The Mall over in Algiers still looks like a combat zone with only two stores opened back up. Many of the FEMA Trailers almost appear to be permanent fixtures because of the additions people have made to them, like decks, etc. It is a very sad thing to see after two years, but who is to blame? The Federal Govt has to take its share, but the entity that the news fails to blame are the con-artist, scum-bags or whatever you choose to name them. This year Nawlins is on its way to meeting or exceeding the murder rate post Katrina, which will give them the notoriety once again as being one of the murder capitals of the US. Many evacuees found their way to San Antonio and I have personally seen a few of them buying brand new cars on Uncle Sam’s dime. They will also use up every penny on their govt credit card for groceries every month regardless whether they need 20 cans of green beans or not. I have the suspicion they are attempting to sell many of the products they buy, but can't verify that. I guess my point is this, many honest people are on govt assistance to provide for their family and they use it wisely, but it almost appears that many of the evacuees have received carte blanch to do whatever pleases them. I have a twenty year old single Soldier that approached me a month ago asking how does he gain custody of a relative. Why? Because the many children of his Sister are being parted out due to the fact that the sister and BIL are going to prison due to fraudulent Katrina claims. I appreciate all who are helping to assist the needy, but I guess I am getting very cynical regarding the definition of “In Need”. Sorry for getting on the soap box, but enough is enough.

I understand wha you're saying. We had a woman who got caught here knocking on peoples doors all day asking for money because she was a Katrina victim and it worked for a while. Many upon many of thousands of dollars from citizens, churches, Salvation army even helped her until it got so big that someone who knew her, her drug dealer, ratted her out. You know you did bad when your drug dealer snitches. Personally she needs to be hung from a tree and made example of. No pity from me. There are people in REAL need that can't get help.

Back