moonman is offline Junior Member

Thoughts on the 2008 Jk Wrangler unlimited?

I just bought a 2008 Rescue green 4-door unlimited and so far pretty happy with it. Being my 4th Jeep (2 others wranglers) I see a lot of great improvement. Anyone have any pro's or con's on the 2007 or 2008 unlimited models?Thanks
    Moonman

southtj is offline Senior Member

Re: Thoughts on the 2008 Jk Wrangler unlimited?

I like them but with those wide fenders they are just begging for some bigger tires.

Yeah I know it...mine came with the 32", nice tires. A guy at the dealership had one as well, had added 1/2" spacers and put 34" tires on it...had to trim a hair off the plastic in front to prevent rubbing in turns...looked good.

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

I like everything about the JK but the added width, but that pays off in stability and interior room. Nice the Unlimited has a ton more room across the width of the rear seat.

Another plus is being able to fit larger meats with less lift that previous Wranglers.

jfrabat is offline Senior Member

What I did not like about the new JK's is how many electronic gadgets it has... Cool for everyday driving, but more things to worry about when crossing a river. I guess it depends on your intended use... Also, the 2 door Rubi I tested proved to be a pain when trying to get to the back seat.

'94 YJ 2.5L, Sperwinch EPi 9.0, RE 4" Std Lift, Adv. Ad. SYE, Woody Shafts, Alloy Axles, ARB Lockers, 4.88 gears, 62mm TB & Spacer, 165A Alternator, Griffin 3" Aluminum Rad, Taurus e-fan w/ DC Controller, Borla Cat-Back, Flowmaster hiflow cat, PD Ignition, 19# injectors, Adj. FPR (42PSI), MOPAR cam, Safari Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2, 15" AR wheels, Xenon H4 lights, KC Daylighters & Slimlites, Sony sound, Pavement Ends Targa Top, Hanson Front Bumper, JCR Offroad rear, AtoZ Rockers, Rhino lined Tub.

redrooster is offline Senior Member

The only con I see is that I don't have one.
    Safety yellow and Handicap blue CJ with 5.3 Vortec/TH400/Tons/Atlas/Roks/Locks and Airshocks.
    1622 Miles from Moab.

LauraBoston is offline Senior Member

The only thing I don't like about it is the engine. Who puts a mini van engine in a Jeep?
    wicked good dude

amuddyzj is offline Senior Member

I agree with rooster. I think that they look lame but Jeep right now is trying to appeal to everyday people instead of guys like us who love to drive on the wild side. With the 4 doors familys can drive around and all. I think that it's a great moneymaker and idea but I'd rather drive a 2-door Wrangler.

redrooster is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LauraBoston View Post
    The only thing I don't like about it is the engine. Who puts a mini van engine in a Jeep?
    Yeah, that would be as embarrassing as getting a Jeep engine from a Pacer.
    Safety yellow and Handicap blue CJ with 5.3 Vortec/TH400/Tons/Atlas/Roks/Locks and Airshocks.
    1622 Miles from Moab.

Yeah, all good points. I hadn't had it a week and a guy I met with his wife looked at it and loved it. Thought it was an ideal vehicle for his family to take vacation trips in being a 4 door and added space. I guess Jeep is trying to appeal to broader audience. Have you noticed the Jeep wrangler commerial on TV? All young yuppie type.
    Althought it just my wife and myself, we enjoy the extra room. I bought one of those Mopar 10' x 10' tents this week that attaches to the back of the Jeep. We enjoy camping but I am almost 56 yrs. old and not crazy about sleeping on the ground anymore. The JK unlimited will allow us to fold the seats down flat and sleep in the Jeep. Had several trailers over the years but really back enjoy tent camping and allows more remote areas to pitch a tent.

rockabass05 is offline Junior Member

My girlfriend's uncle has one, and I like the idea of apealing to a wider audience, but they are not for me. They are, though, alot NICER than any tj or yj, you'll ever ride in! I didn't like them at first, but they grew on me very fast.

Dannywayne is offline Junior Member

I have an 07 4dr with 4in ultimate Full Traction lift, new drive shafts, gears, diff covers, chromolly axels, poison spyder body armor and rocker knockers, Smittybuilt bumpers and winch, OR- Fab tube doors, Xenon fenders with 38in TOYO's. I love this thing, it is a beast offroad and looks better than ANY 2 door you will find. I think you will like the 4 door

HiHood is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LauraBoston View Post
    Kaiser Willys sure put a mid luxury car V6 in a Jeep back in the 1960's. The Buick odd-fire V6 worked out great. Nothing wrong with that V6 that Chrysler put in there as far as I am concerned. Minivan usage or not, V6's are a good motor in a Jeep.