More taxes anyone???

TwistedCU

All you need to do is let the Democrats have their way
WASHINGTON -- Dealing with global warming will be painful, says one of the most powerful Democrats in Congress. To back up his claim he is proposing a recipe many people won't like _ a 50-cent gasoline tax, a carbon tax and scaling back tax breaks for some home owners.

"I'm trying to have everybody understand that this is going to cost and that it's going to have a measure of pain that you're not going to like," Rep. John Dingell, who is marking his 52nd year in Congress, said Wednesday in an interview with The Associated Press.

Dingell will offer a "discussion draft" outlining his tax proposals on Thursday, the same day that President Bush holds a two-day conference to discuss voluntary efforts to combat climate change....

_A 50-cent-a-gallon tax on gasoline and jet fuel, phased in over five years, on top of existing taxes.

_A tax on carbon, at $50 a ton, released from burning coal, petroleum or natural gas.

_Phaseout of the interest tax deduction on home mortgages for homes over 3,000 square feet. Owners would keep most of the deduction for homes at the lower end of the scale, but it would be eliminated entirely for homes of 4,200 feet or more.

He estimates that would affect 10 percent of homeowners. He says "it's only fair" to tax those who buy large suburban houses and create urban sprawl. Historic and farm houses would be exempted.

Some of the revenue would be used to reduce payroll taxes, but most would go elsewhere including for highway construction, mass transit, paying for Social Security and health programs and to help the poor pay energy bills.

Let me summarize...
Using the guise of Global Warming, the democrats want to steal more money from hard working taxpayers and spend it in the areas where it is easiest to hide corruption.

Un-FREAKIN-believable! Has anyone besides me noticed how the term "Global Warming is slowly being phased out and "Climate Change" is gradually replacing it? There's a good reason for that, and it is primarily because it is a natural occurrence and not man-made. NOTHING we can do can change it, not even stealing more taxes from the TAX PAYING CITIZENS in our nation.

I can't believe they are using this farce to suck more money from us and not even attempt to pretend it will be used for environmentally related tasks.

I'll be watching Mr. Dingell (berry) and his ridiculous and treasonous proposal. Hopefully watching it fail miserably. I hope the other taxpayers out there will do so as well. p0p

Another thing... He estimates that only 10% bla bla bla... how convenient :bootyshake:

Oh, and ya ever notice that ludicrous stuff like this is always dished out by the old timers who have nothing to lose? :?|

Can you say, "third world country".
Oh, wait!! A 'third world country with national health care"!!
Unbelieveable.

Nothing like losing more of our rights to "global warming" What next? A tax on CO2?! If the libs have their way, it will happen.

What's the tax for? Honestly, I'd pay .50 more a gallon for gas if I was sure that 100% of the money went to building / implementing renewable resources, and not hydrogen vehicles.

Anyone seen "who killed the electric car?"

What next? A tax on CO2?! If the libs have their way, it will happen.

They wont say CO2, they say "carbon". It's part of the proposal :x
No, Terry, I haven't seen that but I know that Electric car, alternate fuels, and the like are being stifled. Considering the current state of affairs in the world you'd think we's be putting more energy (pun unintended) into that.

TC, you seem shocked and uphauled. It's not a surprise that a politician wants to get in your pockets. That is half their job!...one half getting your money and the other half wasting it.
I'm going to have to check out that movie. I'm pretty sure I get the jest of it already. Let me venture a guess... oil companies have had a hand in stifling reasearch. Shocker. After all, our President is an oil man.
I, for one, would love an electric car if the thing was built right. Anybody who knows motors will tell you that a DC motor will stomp a gas burner of the same horsepower. DC's provide 100% torque at startup with no curve like a gas engine.

Yeah. Oil companies rule the world right now. I hope that someday they do go the way of the dinosaur......makes sense that they would. I can't for one second believe that with all the technological advances in electronics that there has never been a motor developed that was as good as a gas burner. We've got people having surguries with barely so much as a pin prick now and there's not a reliable completely electrical car on the road yet?

I think oil companies are holding out on the hopes that global warming is man made. They spend millions to develop cars that get a few more miles to the gallon, thereby, saving some petroleum for further use and staving off global warming a few years. Then by the time there is no more petroleum they'll have secretely secured all the patents for any type of electric car technology and ensuring their continued reign of power.

Oh yeah - listening to NPR today - Rice talked to other global leaders about "climate change". They mentioned the term "climate change" about 4 times, but no mention of global warming. I guess TC is right that they've switched terms..

Oh yeah - listening to NPR today - Rice talked to other global leaders about "climate change". They mentioned the term "climate change" about 4 times, but no mention of global warming. I guess TC is right that they've switched terms..

Yea, they are pretty good at that.

global warming=climate change
liberal=progessive
legalized pot=medicine
abortion=a womans right to choose
animal rights=no human rights (except if you want to smoke dope, have abortions and be a slave to big government)

Not to mention they hate "the ORV crowd"

_Phaseout of the interest tax deduction on home mortgages for homes over 3,000 square feet. Owners would keep most of the deduction for homes at the lower end of the scale, but it would be eliminated entirely for homes of 4,200 feet or more.

He estimates that would affect 10 percent of homeowners. He says "it's only fair" to tax those who buy large suburban houses and create urban sprawl. Historic and farm houses would be exempted.

I hope not. If they do, will have to accidently cut off 1301 sq ft, better yet 2501 sq ft..

I better hide my extra toilet paper so they don't tax them again.

I'm not surprised Redrooster, it just that my already existing fire of disgust for liberals has been fueled.

Terry, I remember those electric cars from GM. I was working in Rockville for a PEPCO (power company) contractor through the Union and some of PEPCO's company cars were those electric GM cars. They parked them at posts every night where they would recharge. I believe they were used by engineers, supervisors, and possibly meter readers. I remember thinking they were too quiet, as in it could be a hazard for a pedestrian to not hear one coming.

I'm not surprised Redrooster, it just that my already existing fire of disgust for liberals has been fueled.

Terry, I remember those electric cars from GM. I was working in Rockville for a PEPCO (power company) contractor through the Union and some of PEPCO's company cars were those electric GM cars. IIRC they had rear fender skirts kind of like the current Toyota Prius does.They parked them at posts every night where they would recharge. I believe they were used by engineers, supervisors, and possibly meter readers. I remember thinking they were too quiet, as in it could be a hazard for a pedestrian to not hear one coming.

From Wikipedia:
In late 2003, GM officially canceled the EV1 program. Despite unfulfilled waiting lists and positive feedback from the lessees, GM stated that it could not sell enough of the cars to make the EV1 profitable.

I remember reading articles in mags back in the 80's about 3/4 ton Chevy pu's that GM experimented with that got 30mpg, back in the 70's. The oil companys bought the patents and destroyed them. I dunno, anybody else heard of this?

Back