And now, a bit of stupid...

Saurian

So, obviously, politics on all levels are royally screwed up. But boy howdy, it sure seems like Michigan, which I love, is right up there near the top...

Take for example, our current budget disaster... The state House of Representatives cannot figure out how to get our budget back on track... We're about, oh, nearly 2 billion dollars in the hole right this very moment. The State Constitution demands a balanced budget. One side wants tax increases... The other, realizes that, in this time where we're leading the country in unemployment, bankruptcies, and foreclosures, that's not the best idea. Can't squeeze blood from a turnip, after all... Unfortunately, the governor absolutely will not approve a continuation budget to keep things at least funded until a better solution can be made. She is demanding massive tax increases. In the meantime, our schools, our libraries, and as a whole, our City and County governments are really hurting because we have no idea how much we are going to lose this year from state revenue sharing, which makes budgeting anything a royal pain.

As a solution, and I think the deadline is Monday, unless the Legislature can stop with the party politics, stop arguing, and start doing what's right for the State of Michigan, our government is going to shut down...

I didn't know they could do that! But apparantly, they can, and that's what the governor is going to do... No Secretary of State. No Lottery. No State Parks. Everyone who works for State Government, with the exception of absolutely essential services, is basically getting laid off for a while...

Now, I ask you, what the heck is that?!? What kind of a way is that to run a government? If you ran a business, and decided to just shut down for a month, just for kicks, electric bill's a bit high this month... Well, I expect you'd be out of business when you got back to work, that's just my guess...

Stupid! At a time when people need these services most, they're getting shut down?!? As a scare tactic, like the municipal services consolidation, and the school funding cuts (and boy, are both of THOSE some brainbuster rants), to force tax increases onto a House that, time and time again, will not get a majority vote to push through!

Just wanted to get that off my chest, so very very stupid!

Yea, Saurian,
If it wasn't for budgets, the polititions would have it made! Not that it matters to them anyway.

I think of the Denver area. As you know, Columbine HS is in a Denver SW suburb. The school is in a rich area. They literally closed off the library area after the occurence. They received a brand new library area that cost millions.

Meanwhile, the Adams County School District (North of Denver) has had to give up arts, music and physical education due to lack of funding. It is sad.

I always thinks of what our representatives are paid. How they are always willing to vote pay increases to themselves for a position that was never meant to be a full time job.

They are constantly enabling new legislation that cannot always be monitored or enforced. The cost of keeping legislative sessions in operation is by itself expensive.

Maybe we should just examine that part of our government.

I should state that I consider myself a libertarian.

It happens on the federal level as well.

I planned a vacation several years ago just after a labor day. The feds were having a budget crisis similar to one you mentioned. By the time I headed for the national parks, they had closed. It made for a bad start to a vacation.

Pennsylvania did shut down part of its government services this past summer (2007). All non-essential government employees were told not to report to work for a period of about 2 days total. It really messed up things around the state. Driver license centers were shut down, state parks shut down, the list went on. When will the legislatures that the PEOPLE elected actually start working for the PEOPLE.... such as getting together a working budget?!?? That really grinds my gears!

Back