This sums it up.

redrooster

This sums up my feelings on immigration to a tee:
The year is 1907, one hundred years ago......

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being
an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good
faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on
an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any
such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon
the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an
American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an
American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for
but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and
that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and
that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt

You know, I didn't expect to agree with that, but I do. I thought I heard on the radio that there was talk about revamping the immigration tests.

I think maybe you are all over-looking something very important going back to red's first post.

I read that and I think that President Roosevelt was speaking about legal-immigrants who come here, report in and request citizenship.
I don't think he had in mind what I think of when I read that and that is the great flood of law-breaking, border-jumpers flooding in here and their first act is breaking into the country illegally and have no intention of becoming a citizen, ever.
A citizen produces and adds value back to the common good. Pays taxes and generally contributes to society.
What I see is more like a leech, taking all advantages while paying little or no taxes, flying under the radar, working for cash and depending on the free handouts here like not being turned away for medical care at emergency rooms and food stamps.

So when I go back and re-read that quote, I wonder what ole' Teddy would say to this new type of immigrant?

I only gets better weekly.....yeah

CBS/AP) A federal judge on Wednesday granted a request by labor and civil liberties organizations to temporarily block the U.S. government from proceeding with a plan to crack down on businesses that may be employing illegal immigrants.

U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer said the Social Security Administration and the Department of Homeland Security could not go ahead with a plan to send joint letters warning businesses they'll face penalties if they keep workers whose Social Security numbers don't match their names.

Breyer said the new work-site rule would likely impose hardships on businesses and their workers.

"The plaintiffs have demonstrated they will be irreparably harmed if DHS is permitted to enforce the new rule," Breyer wrote.

"On the other side of the scale," he added, "the government would suffer significantly less harm as a result of a delay in the rule’s implementation."

The ruling goes to the heart of the Bush Administration's crackdown on illegal immigration that has resulted in a record number of undocumented workers being rounded up in raids across America, reports CBS News correspondent Bob Orr.

More than 50 suspect workers were recently arrested at 11 McDonald's restaurants Reno, Nevada. Another 160 were grabbed at a Fresh Del Monte Produce packing plant in Oregon.

In all, more than 4,000 undocumented workers have been arrested this year, about 10 percent more than a year ago, adds Orr.

The so-called "No Match" letters were supposed to start going out in September, but labor groups and immigrant activists filed a lawsuit claiming the plan would put a heavy burden on employers, and could cause many authorized immigrants and U.S. citizens to lose their jobs over innocent paperwork snafus.

The government, however, argued that the rule doesn't impose an expense, and some businesses want to avoid liability for hiring undocumented workers.

The Department of Justice's Civil Division spokesman Charles Miller said in a statement today, "We strongly disagree with the court's decision. We are currently reviewing Judge Breyer's opinion and will consider our options, including an appeal."

On Oct. 1, Breyer requested time to consider the legal arguments presented by government attorneys and plaintiffs, which include the AFL-CIO, the American Civil Liberties Union, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and a number of other business and labor groups.

A large portion of the mismatches in the Social Security Administration's records are believed to stem from illegal immigrants who make up fake Social Security numbers to get a job, though there are also instances of name changes and typographical errors involving U.S. citizens.

In August, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced the agency would start notifying businesses that if workers were unable to clear up problems with their Social Security numbers within 90 days, they would have to be terminated. If not, their employer could face criminal fines and other sanctions.

According to government attorneys, the rule simply clarifies employers' obligations under immigration law and gives them clear guidelines on how to handle mismatched records. Until now, the Social Security Administration regularly notified employers of discrepancies, but employers were not required to act.

The measure was scheduled to take effect in September, with the mailing of about 140,000 letters, each containing the names of 10 or more employees with mismatches in their records. Approximately 8 million workers would be identified as having discrepancies.

The San Francisco federal court blocked its implementation after the suit was filed, issuing temporary restraints until the judge could determine whether the plaintiffs would suffer damage if the government were allowed to go forward with its plan.

Attorneys representing businesses associations argued the Department of Homeland Security's plan would place a costly burden on them that could lead to the needless firing of employees. That, in turn, would open them up to lawsuits, and charges of discrimination.

Civil liberties organizations joining the suit pointed out the rule would likely lead to the violation of the rights of many legal workers who might have made a mistake they couldn't correct before deadline.

Back