What's your city mileage on your TJ?

southtj

It's been a while since I'd checked my mileage but when I first got the 04 Jeep, I was getting around 16 mpg. Not unexpected. It's all stop and go city driving with none on the highway. Two tanks ago I decided to see how she was doing and it was about 14.5ish or thereabouts. So starting with the next tank I decided to do a little experiment. I usually drive it harder than the average person, shifting around 3k going into second and third then around 2k after that. Not this tank. This time I was going to shift when the little light told me to or around 2000 on the tach for the whole tank. Man that was boring. It is hard to keep up with traffic leaving a red light when you are shifting so soon but I did it for the whole tank. I'll admit a few times I had to go over 2k to jump into traffic but only a few times. A week later (today) I fill it up, excited over the prospect of going more miles on a tank and saving a few pennys while I'm at it. So how much better was my mileage driving so conservatively? It was worse! Really! My mileage was 14.02. I don't get it. :crazy: :?|

What are you getting?

I just started keeping track of my milage, and with one tank I was doing 15.6 mpg. All city driving.

6 cyl, auto, 31" tires.

Last edited:
You know what,I seem to have that problem too. I drive a 96 grand cherokee with a straight 6 and I tried to drive it more "conservativley" but it doesn't seem to help the gas mileage which makes no sense to me. I get around 14-15 mpg city.

I just started keeping track of my milage, and with one tank I was doing 15.6 mpg. All city driving.

6 cyl, auto, 31" tires.

I've got the 6 and 31s as well but a manual transmission. The mileage really doesn't bother me too much right now. However, if my next job is a lot more than the 5 miles away my current job is, I might reconsider.

I get about 13mpg in the XJ, but thats on LPG ( propane). running it on petrol (gasoline) gives me about 14mpg. I6 4Litre

the killer is the cost $2 per litre for gasoline , yes thats right $9 a gallon.

greedy UK oil companies and a goverment that taxes us to death are the problems

I have to be getting somewhere between 12-14 in the YJ. It doesn't ever see highway use except for a bad snowstorm, when it gets called into "get me to work you ol' lug" duty. Even then it's in 4WD and it still sucks.

mine's a 4.0 and a 3sp auto (1991)

I have 33x12.50s and really don't want to know, but it has to be better than my F150 which sucks me dry. The ford was costing me around 90 bucks to fill, but noticed today that gas jumped up 20 cents. I am in total denial. Dont make me look. LOL

Was getting 12 mpg, then upgraded to a K&N air filter, Rusty's TBS and fixed a dragging left rear brake. Probably the left rear brake made most of the difference (I know people say TBS doesn't help that much). Now I'm up to 14.5 mpg in a 4banger TJ manual on 33x12.5s.

8. Yep, 8 miles per gallon. On the highway, though, I can rock out a good 11... sometimes.

My 4-banger TJ got a consistent 16mpg with combo of city/highway.

-X

For 2005 Stock Jeep Wrangler:
2.4-LITER, DOHC, 16-VALVE POWER TECH I-4
Estimated EPA Fuel economy mpg (City/Hwy) 18/20 - manual

4.0-LITER, OHV, 12-VALVE SMPI POWER TECH I-6
Estimated EPA Fuel Economy mpg (City/Hwy) 16/20 - manual, 16/20 - automatic

It doesn't seem right to me that the 4 banger gets the same milage as the 6. Is it just that the jeep is so un-aerodynamic that it has to work harder?

not sure there Terry...but no matter how you look at it all jeeps are big boxes on wheels. my friends 4 banger always seems to get better MPG going down to Moab all the time...a 97 on 35's with a manual transmission with near the same gear set up as mine...but with the manual transmission he does have 5th some what near a over drive gear.

Now I geared mine to death not only going through the axles but the transmission and transfer case and I running at 15.7 MPG last fill up and got close to 20 on the highway (19.6?)...dont remember there and I have the I-6 with the auto transmission, hopefully next year I can afford a controller for my 700R and will have an over drive transmission...but I will be dropping tire sizes soon to 33's

Dry suit diver - wow, a UK guy huh? Add yourself here - http://www.jeepz.com/forum/vbgooglemapme.php You'll be the first international guy listed.

I did some quick reading on LPG, and it looks interesting. Does your car use both gas and LPG?

Hey, not true! I am from Panama (Central America)... I'm just living in Miami for a couple of years, but I am heading back!

By the way, I drive 10 miles each day, mixing city and a little highway, and I get 14.6~14.9 mpg on my '94 4 banger with 31"s.

Felipe

Dry suit diver - wow, a UK guy huh? Add yourself here - http://www.jeepz.com/forum/vbgooglemapme.php You'll be the first international guy listed.

I did some quick reading on LPG, and it looks interesting. Does your car use both gas and LPG?

yes, but LPG is half the cost of gasoline so I run it on LPG whenever possible, starts on gasoline and switches to LPG at about 40 deg c (100 deg F)

no power difference but lots cheaper, and driving in London traffic is probably as demanding as Manhattan or LA.

I added my marker on the google map.

Back