82 CJ7 Value?

Sully

Unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to sell my Cj. Next year I will be going away for school and need something that's good on gas and more comfortable. I can't afford to get another car and keep the jeep and well I am not sure what to ask for it. It's a 1982 CJ7, 258 6cyl, rebuilt 5spd. 134,000 miles on the clock(stopped)Body is straight, the jeep has been in california for it's entire life. No rust. The paint is original and in great shape. It is unmolested and the original wiring harness is still intact. The jeep is tough, has never broken any parts and conquered the rubicon trail and many other southern california trails with ease. The only problem is that the original motor is tired. It is currently overheating.

-Here are some specs-
4.88 gears
ARB lockers front and rear
Superior 1 Piece inner axles(AMC 20)
Superior super Dana 30 inner axles
Custom Flat Skid Plate
Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 4.5 inch lift
1 inch body lift
Fresh 33" Good Year MT/R Tires
Best top Soft Top
Best top Seats
Custom front bumper, rear bumper and rocker guards
Kilby Gas Tank Skid plate
Warn M8274 Winch
New Besttop Soft Top
Ultima Red Top Battery
Mean Green Starter
New radiator
New fuel lines/ fuel filters
Misc black accessories(Mirrors, Hood Vent, ect)
lots of other odds and ends

2kyles_cj7-1.jpg

2042MVC323S-1.jpg

Don't know what it's worth, but my advice would be to keep it (I'm assuming it's paid for) and buy a used Honda or Toyota to get you from point A to point B. I rolled over 300K on my 93 Accord on the way home from work today. I've replaced the rad, 2 timing belts, 2 sets of brake pads, a fuel injection relay, and a clutch slave cylinder since the car was new. Doen't get much cheaper than that for a vehicle. Get a good used Honda and if you take care of them they last forever.
Not exciting transportation but then you still have the Jeep for that, right?

I'd guess it's worth 6-8K, depending on how bad the overheating is.

I second the "get a used tercel" motion. Store the jeep somewhere and come back to it when you have time and money.

You'll kick yourself later.
A man should never sell a Jeep, only acquire more.

I wish 2 things:

1. That you lived closer.

2. That I had more money.

Shame to see 'er go, Sully. I always liked that CJ.

I think you will regret selling it but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I had a 75 CJ-5 that had a 304 V-8 and some other goodies that I sold for $5800 (about 5 years ago). It was a slick machine but from what I can see of yours, especially with the mods, your CJ-7 would be worth more than that.

Last edited:
Back