From Fort Hood to Fort Lewis

KrazyJeeper

Well, it's official. I report to Fort Lewis in Mar 08. Already started looking for houses so if anyone has ideas where to live I would appreciate it. Currently I have been looking around the Yelm area. And I don't quite remember if there is anyone on Jeepz that is from that area. Thanks, KJ

I was stationed there for two years, awesome area.

I always lived on base so I can't help you there. Yelm looks like a decent area away from the hectic I-5 corridor. Puyallup is also decent.

I was 11B, what's your MOS?

BH, I'm a 68T. Terry, Fort Lewis is in Tacoma Washington. Yep, I want to stay away from I-5 for sure. Everyone has told me to stay east of the post, but everything is really pricey up there compared to Texas.

What's a 68tango do? Sounds like something with heavy wheel mech.?

I really miss that area, great hiking, sight seeing, nightlife, etc. Wish I would have wheeled more out there, really only had my DR650 offroad when stationed there.

BH, they have combined many MOS recently. I was a 15E which was Pershing Missile Crewmember (nuke) and then I changed to 91T which is Veterinary Technician which has been redesignated as 68T. All the medical field is now the 68 series. Heavy wheel and such are still 63 series I believe.

Aren't you getting a little long in the tooth to be PCS ?
How long till you make fishing your new MOS?:D

The wheeln is way different then your probably used to in texas. I'm down south bout 1.5 hrs in vancouver. Your close to reiter/elbe/evans creek orvs. all great places but when it's wet (80%) of the yr.LOL. it gets really fun.

Come on 90, that's not right, I don't have any long teeth. I barely have teeth. LOL, Well, it's like this, I could drop papers now (21 Years in) but the wife has family in Seattle so I reckon this will be my last move as a Soldier. I sure will miss Texas since I am a native, but the family has followed me around for many, many years so I guess it's time for payback. I'm gonna have to learn a how new technique for fishing but I should have some fun spots to Jeep it unlike here.

No thats 3 different parks. All within 1-1.5 hrs from tacoma. give or take. plus all the (legal...maybe..) wheeln

Not sure, check out pnw4wda.org or search elbe hills (orv/ or 4x4) There are alot of forums around here. most are divided between seattle area and portland area.

Did you get any of the recent NW coast weather?

just a few inches of rain. takes alot to get over the coast range. We did get about 4 feet of fresh snow above 2500' last week. made for some kickbutt wheeln.

KrazyJeeper you say you were stationed in Fort Hood? My brother was there for a while with 4ID. Were you 4ID or 1st Cav? Just curious. Well the mountains will be nice in Washington, the wheelin will but wet and messy,sounds like fun

I'm still at Fort Hood currently, don't report to Ft Lewis until Mar 08. I am in neither divisions, but was in 4ID back in 1987 when they were at Fort Carson, CO. I hope I can meet up with some Jeep Peeps when I get to Washington.

9ID here, if anybody remembers them. The only "Motorized" Infantry Division. They deactivated in '01 and were replaced by another infantry division that moved to Ft. Lewis.

I'm still at Fort Hood currently, don't report to Ft Lewis until Mar 08. I am in neither divisions, but was in 4ID back in 1987 when they were at Fort Carson, CO. I hope I can meet up with some Jeep Peeps when I get to Washington.

get settled and join our small group for a trip to moab in april. if not there's allways rubicon in mid july or august.

BH, I know 7ID moved up to Lewis, but don't know if they changed their flag or not. They were the lightfighters, I think they were one of our few straightleg divisions. I'm pretty sure I heard they redesignated them into something else and dispersed them. Everything is Mech now.

Back