!*&$#$@ Fender Flares

laxpug19

Anyone know of any products out there that actually work to restore the fender flare color back to black? ive tried just about every product in the stores around here, some work better then others but they only last about 2-4 weeks then im out there doing it again. Anyone have any permanent fixes?

Spray paint? :) I have the same problem but I'm going to rhinoline the outside of my cherokee so I'll just do the same to the flares.

Seems as tho I remember someone chiming in some time back 'bout using a heat gun VERY carefully. Makes sense to "melt" the top layer of the flare to bring the original black up to the surface. Anyone try that? LBR

yep, use a hair dryer or better yet a heat gun. workd everytime on stock or the last ones i did where bushwackers. lasts longer then all the crappy armor all stuff on the market. cheaper too. lucky for me i dont need to do that anymore :)

I used forever black, the stuff Terry posted and it held up for over three years. Good Stuff, I used it on all three of my vehicles trim.

boot polish and a hairdryer worked well on previous vehicles I have had. I tend to avoid cars with any black bumper trims now

wifey says that I just dont wash the jeep, except for the underbody after a day out off roading:D

The heat gun is the best way to revive TJ flares, if you put in the effort and take the time to do it right. Clean them REALLY well, go slow, and make even passes.

I don't know if this is the way you may wanna go, but I'M really happy with painting my flairs with Krylon Fusion paint. It's made for plastic and it's held up for over a year now, and I think it looks great, and if they start to get chipped up all you have to do is repaint or touch them up.

But you really have to take your time and prep the flairs before you paint them.

Yes that is what I mean, clean them up before you paint them. You have to get all the wax and oil off flairs before you spray them or the paint will "fish eye"

Be sure and mask off the Jeep body so you don't get over spray on it.

I used a heat gun on my Yamaha Rhino hood that was faded out green. It worked to some extent but was uneven. Wouldn't hurt to try on fender flares, the worst that could happen is you end up painting them anyway.
I put Armor All on my wifes Avalanche deck one time and that is all it took to turn it gray. I have sworn off Armor All.

I have sworn off Armor All.

Ditto - anywhere I use to use Armor All or such I now use Lemon Pledge. Gives a great shine, easy to apply and wipe, don't have to be careful applying it and isn't the dust collector. LBR

Hey guys! sorry i haven't been on lately. But i ended up using the "Krylon" sold and your local walmart for like 3 bucks. works wonders i think. Its been a month of rain, some sunshine up here in nor cal but its holding up really well. GOOD IDEA for anyone sick of flares:shades: :shades: :shades: turning gray.

Glad to hear the fusion paint worked out for you, it's been a year since I have painted mine and they still look good except for some minor chipping and some scrapes from wheeling. And all I have to do is prep them a little and re-paint them again!

Any suggestions for green fender flares? I bought by jeep used, it's a 97 TJ. The paint job is hunter green and the fender flares have faded to a very light green.

A buddy of mine swears they were once black and have faded to green, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Black would fade to grey, right? Not green? There's no logic in that.

I think the heat idea would still work, but I'm afraid I'd frak it up if I used the forever black, since it's not supposed to be black to begin with. Any tips would be appreciated.

Any suggestions for green fender flares? I bought by jeep used, it's a 97 TJ. The paint job is hunter green and the fender flares have faded to a very light green.

A buddy of mine swears they were once black and have faded to green, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Black would fade to grey, right? Not green? There's no logic in that.

I think the heat idea would still work, but I'm afraid I'd frak it up if I used the forever black, since it's not supposed to be black to begin with. Any tips would be appreciated.

First off your original flares were painted green to match your jeep.
Not sure about your color but my 2001 Pear Amber was discontinued, I called around to my local car paint dealers till I found one that would mix me up several cans (Spray Paint) of Pearl Amber for 6:75$ a can.
I would suggest this and lightly scuff your flares with scotch bright pads, throughly clean with alcohol, and repaint them with your original color.
You can find your color code on the inside part of the drivers door sticker.

I rhino-lined mine, and I must say I like it better. The texture adds a different look, but it doesnt stay shiny, if thats what you want. I like mine flat.

I'd say whatever you do, take them off your Jeep before you do it - makes life alot easier.

If memory serves, flares come either black, or painted to match your Jeep.

Back