New military jeep

Unveiled: Jeep J8

States they went back to leaf springs and I'd love to get ahold of that turbodiesel engine. And those axles too, come to think of it.

A second source
Jeep J8: Taking The Wrangler Unlimited To Boot Camp, Bringing Back A Brute Of A Pickup

I had heard rumours of this before the show and tried to get a friend in defence to get me access to the show, he couldn't and has spent the last few times we chatted over a beer telling me all about it. He is hoping the procurement dept at the contractor he works for can be talked into getting these instead of 'those useless f****** hummers and landcruisers we have at moment'

have been promised a drive if they get purchased and before they get shipped to the middle east.:piratenanner:

will keep you posted

Body styles include a four-door and a two-door pickup.

Two door pickup.... I'm not holding my breath.

What's the deal with them being made in Egypt!??!?!?

I'm not buying a Jeep made in Egypt.

Think we'll ever be able to get ahold of the drivetrain? I don't want the whole thing just the engine and transmission.

That will not replace the hummer for probably no other reason than space and adaptibility. Just my opinion, maybe if I see more info but right now I stand by my opinion.

I don't think they're trying to replace the hummer completely. They'll find their niche in Government service though, I'm sure.

That thing would replace the Hummer at MANY of it's duties though. They would still need the Hummer, mostly the troop and supply carriers, but this would be better for pretty much everything else. It will be more agile, surely it's faster, more economical to buy, more economical to operate, easier and cheaper to dispatch, more comfort, and it's not like there is a ton of useable space inside a Humvee anyway... so it's smaller size is somewhat deceptive here.

I'm diggin the leafspring conversion. Round headlights and leaf springs... someone from the military remembers how REAL Jeeps were built.:bomb:

Back