Barack Hussein Obama

TwistedCU

On Oprah, Barack Hussein Obama announced that he is a member of the Trinity United Church of Christ. I was pretty shocked when a friend of mine sent me a link to their website's "about us" page.

Unashamedly black?
We are an African people?
True to our Native land?
A non-negotiable committment to AFRICA?!?!?!?!?

This man is running for president of our country?

The Church's website:
Trinity United Church of Christ

Is it true???

from Snopes.com:
"It is true that Illinois Senator Barack Obama has been a member of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ for about twenty years"
Snopes:
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Barack Obama - Trinity Church of Christ

Seems to me that it is quite hypocritical to claim to be the one who is going to "unite out nation" while belonging to a segragatory church who has declared a non-negotiable committment to a forein country.

Pretty disturbing...

Last edited:

Let's see...talking out both sides of his mouth...hmmm. It's official...

he's a politician.

What do you think the media would do to a guy like McCain if they said they belonged to an exclusively white church that claimed a non-negotiable committment to another country?

I don't know...call him Jewish maybe.

I'm not sure about Obama anyway. He comes off as a bit naive in some regards, especially foreign policy.

Come now, let us reason together . . . . Think what you will of Obama politically, but I encourage all of us, in the name of reason, not to stoop to fear- and/or hate-mongering. I encourage everyone go to the Snopes.com link so thoughtfully provided above and read the ENTIRE entry. I wish that I could reproduce it here, but I can't, due to some sort of copy protection which Snopes has on its text. In short, the Church to which he belongs is a Christian one, that definitely is concerned with the place of Africans and African-Americans in our country in the world. I don't see that as a crime, or even surprising in an African-American congregation. The Civil Rights movement, after all, had and has its base in the African-American Christian community. Approximately 47 years ago, this country elected a Roman Catholic to its presidency despite the fears among some that he would beholding to the Vatican. Historians differ as to whether or not he was a great president, but nobody ever suggested that he subjected the interests of the nation to the dictates of the Vatican. Let's not go overboard with a certain interpretation of the message of the church (congregation, that is) to which a candidate belongs.

I'm gonna add to the fire for once... a picture is worth a thousand words.

He shouldn't even be allowed to run after this stunt.
salute-1.jpg

and here is a link with the story...
Senator Barack Obama failed to salute the flag?

As I said above, disagree with Obama all you want on political grounds. Whether this is or isn't sufficient political ground is for each person to decide. In fairness, I'll direct you to the applicable Snopes article: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Barack Obama and the National Anthem. Note that this is America, where we tolerate divergent political beliefs--even if that belief is one we personally find objectionable. That's what separates us from totalitarian states. If someone who doesn't put his hand over his heart during the national anthem "shouldn't even be allowed to run," then who's next? A communist? A fascist? A klansman? A Democrat? A Republican? A Jew? A Methodist? Anybody who doesn't happen to agree with the point of view of the majority?

IMO an American salutes the flag out of respect for his country and its founders. What he does I believe is disrespectfull to our country that made it possible for him to be where he is today.

Come now, let us reason together . . . . Think what you will of Obama politically, but I encourage all of us, in the name of reason, not to stoop to fear- and/or hate-mongering. I encourage everyone go to the Snopes.com link so thoughtfully provided above and read the ENTIRE entry.
I don't give a hoot about his politics. The man is clearly a member of a segragatory organization and shows through his membership of the TUCC and his lack of acknowledging our flag that he is no patriot. Comparing him to John Kennedy? PLEASE!!!

You imply I am being unreasonable, fearful, and worse... accuse me of hate mongering because I bring into light that a guy running for POTUS is unpatriotic, and may very well have another country's interests above ours? What part of NON NEGOTIABLE COMMITTMENT did you miss?

You need to be reasonable.

Oh, and about Snopes... Yeah, I encourage everyone to read it. Yes, the organization claims to be a Christian one, and it states that Obama is not a muslim (I didn't know that was an issue anyhow), but it also confirms his being a member, and provides a link to the Church's website. Read Snopes response, it says nothing contradictory to what I have posted.

As for the missing hand over the heart in the picture... all snopes proves by posting pictures of him doing it in the past is that he knew about the custom and should have been doing it in that picture. He looks quite comfortable with his hands folded... I guess that's normal for someone with a non negotiable committment to Africa. :?|

I'm gonna add to the fire for once... a picture is worth a thousand words.

He shouldn't even be allowed to run after this stunt.
salute-1.jpg

and here is a link with the story...
Senator Barack Obama failed to salute the flag?

Personally, I think that's a bit much. I don't think he was being disrespectful. It's not like he was sitting down, or facing away from the flag.

The hand on heart thing, while traditional, is kind of antiquated generally speaking.

And on other occasions, he stood with hand on heart during the anthem.

If you see the video: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Barack Obama and the National Anthem

You notice 2 things:
1- He's standing and (as pointed out in the article) his demeanor is quite respectable.

2- The rendition of the Star Spangled Banner is the reason everyone should be upset. Listen to it: HORRIBLE. And notice at the end of the song he turns, nods his head and claps approvingly.

If you watch the video, does anyone ...HONESTLY...think he's trying to be an anti-patriot? C'mon... He's a politician. He's got nothing to gain by coming of as disrespectful to the flag. The most important thing to any of the clowns is winning the election.

---------------

But all that aside. One of the reasons this country is so great, is that one has the right to not stand, with hand on heart, during the anthem.

Last edited:
As I said above, disagree with Obama all you want on political grounds. Whether this is or isn't sufficient political ground is for each person to decide.......................Note that this is America, where we tolerate divergent political beliefs--even if that belief is one we personally find objectionable. That's what separates us from totalitarian states. If someone who doesn't put his hand over his heart during the national anthem "shouldn't even be allowed to run," then who's next? A communist? A fascist? A klansman? A Democrat? A Republican? A Jew? A Methodist? Anybody who doesn't happen to agree with the point of view of the majority?

Well said!! It truly saddens me that this country's "mindset" has deteriorated so badly. I believe our founding fathers would be ashamed. Fortunately, we have enough freedom left that we can voice our views and not fear that we will wind up in Guantanamo (or someplace similar)........................yet.:(

I got Huckabee then Cox. Never heard of Cox before. I'm kind of excited to participate in my frist election.

don't get too excited just yet

I heard that Halliburton got the no-bid contract to add up the votes:purple: :purple:

Huckabee here. He seemed like a pretty funny guy on Colbert the other night. Don't know if he seemed like a president. I'll take him over Hillary though!

sorry to change the topic yet again, but what is the halliburton no bid contract thing?

I was just foolin' aroundp0p

Halliburton is the big company that VP Cheney worked(works) for and seems to get allot of Government bids all over the world, but they aren't really bids, because nobody bids against them and they still get the contract.
I was making a joke that Halliburton will "fix" the election results, which really isn't a joke because voting totally electronic without any paper back up to prove my vote scares the $hit out of me.

Back