Help me decide on my next Jeep

dave123

Hello.
I have recently lost my Jeep to a hit and run driver. It was a total loss without insurance. See thread (CJ5 all or parts for ) in for sale section if you are interested.

Anyway, being a life long Jeep guy, I want to replace it. Here are my ideas. I would like to hear what you guys think.

A. I have always had and love CJ5's. First option would be to buy another CJ5 with a V8. I could get one that needed some work and do it myself. I'm handy with tools, but don't have a garage, so I would have to be careful with just how much work needed to be done.

B. Save my money for awhile and get a really nice old CJ5 or CJ7 with a V8 that needs little or no work (like the one I lost).

C. Buy a new Wrangler. I don't need lots of comforts, so I would choose an X over a Sahara. The only options I would probably get would be the 3.73 axel and A/C. I could do this right away as I have good credit.

D. Get a new Rubicon. They sound really great for off roading, though the cloth seats (I like to get wet) and some of the other stuff seem like extras that I don't really want to pay for. If I got a Rubicon, it would be for the added 4X4 capabilities. I would probably have to sell my current reliable car to get the added money. One thing with this or the new Wrangler is that I would be hesitant to really have fun off road with something that I had invested so much money in and is my only form of transportation. Also, I could probably not afford much in the way of modifications for awhile due to the cost involved.

E. Look for a used late model Jeep already fixed up. Problem here would be that getting a loan for the used Jeep would be tougher than a new one. Also, I would worry that the original owner had abused it. A late model Jeep out of warranty could be expensive if it breaks as I'm no good with the complicated electronics etc. on late model vehicles.

So what are your ideas? You guys seem very knowledgeable, and I would really value your opinions.

Thanx

What is your budget, and what do you want to do with this Jeep (i.e. will you take it offroad 5% or 50% of the time).

I would say that in general it's cheaper to buy an already restored Jeep. Keep the new Jeep cheap, and not your daily driver.

Something like this would be nice:
1983 CJ-7 Jeep

my .02...v8 cj7 or 91-95 yj w/ 4.0L.. upgrades are cheap and will hold together as DD. AS far as a rubicon. You can built either just as good or better for 1/2 the price. Plus you'll still be paying for the thing that is beat to crap. Besides real jeeps are BUILT not BOUGHT.

For a guy who likes the later AMC built V8 CJs, an early model 87-90 six cylinder powered YJ is a nice alternative. The same AMC V8s that you run in those CJs will go in easily, and you can always throw a CJ front clip on it if you have to have the CJ look. With the YJ you get a better frame, better body tub, better brakes and steering, better front axle, and it's just a more modern ride... although still very similar to the later CJ in many ways.

Second choice, if you didn't want to have to mess with the drivetrain too much, would be a 91+ YJ.

The rear axle is the worst part of these rigs, but I'm sure you are used to rear axle problems coming from later CJs. They are leafspring though, and a Ford 8.8" axle swap is easy.

Thanx for your input. As far as budget, I could handle a loan easy, but I don't have the ability to pay a lot of cash for a jeep from a private party (no loan). I really love the CJ look, including the bare interior. The new jeep interiors kind of turn me off. I would like the Jeep to be a second vehicle, but if I get anything that is going to set me back more than about 5,000, it would probably end up being my daily driver, at least for awhile. My last Jeep was used weekends, about 50% off road (mostly mudding over rock crawling), but if I spend the money for a new jeep, I really think I would be afraid to really push it off road due to the $$ involved. I Love the V8's. easy to work on, and look and sound great, but would be open to a 6 (not a 4, and not automatic). I would like F/I as I have had problems on hills with carburators.

Do you guys know what year the electronics started getting complicated? I'm thinking around mid eighties.

What is your budget, and what do you want to do with this Jeep (i.e. will you take it offroad 5% or 50% of the time).

I would say that in general it's cheaper to buy an already restored Jeep. Keep the new Jeep cheap, and not your daily driver.

Something like this would be nice:
1983 CJ-7 Jeep

I bought a mall crawler. A '93 YJ.

I don't have a garage so I have to be a fair weather mechanic. I have put many improvements on it (mods) including a BDS lift, Changed and toughened both axles (including a FORD 8.8 in the back, OBA, Bumpers, and the list goes on and on...

Look for a mall crawler. Never been out of the city except highway, owned by alittle old lady who only used it to go to church, has fuel injection (if at all possible - very important in the mountains of Colorado), etc...

thanx. I have already taken it apart. (I guess that's in my blood too). It's stored undercover.

I have an 08 Wrangler X. It's bare bones except for a/c and auto. I took off the factory 16" rims/tires and replaced with 17", because to get the factory 17" tire package was like an extra $3k, which included cloth seats, compass, cruise control, etc. I like the vinyl seats. It's simple and capable. For $22k it is adequate. Rubicons are great if you will use it offroad and like the disconnecting sway bar and other bells and whistles. But for $31k As much as I like wranglers, no wrangler is worth $31k.

If you get a new wrangler, make sure its an unlimited - comes with a D30/D44 w/ 3.73's and LSD Rear from the factory, stock.

Back