Jeep Renegade Concept

zafirex

Anyone seen pictures of this unveiled at the Detroit Auto show?
large_20080114jeeprenegadehybridconcept-1.jpg

And more concept photos and write-up here:
2008 DETROIT AUTO SHOW: The Jeep® Renegade Concept - AutoSpies Auto News

Looks a little too much like a car in my mind. Still, 110 miles per gallon sounds great compared to my 15.

I think they blended the car look with the suv look of jeep. It seems low due to the compact roof yet is still plenty off the ground. 110 mpg?!!! I'll take one

All it needs now is a spoiler, ground effects and some huge spinners. /gag

Oh dear, oh dear. Back to the old drawing board.

Bacon

[lisp on]Hi, my names Bill, I'm the new head designer here. Are ya'll ready to do some really hip designing and totally ruin the Jeep name?[/lisp]

haha i do agree Jeep is straying away but they gotta make their money somewhere and i guess the appeal is different from their roots

They should have dropped the Renegade name after 1975. This is like Chevrolet putting Nova emblems on the little Isuzu Mark I econo-car back in the 80s. In 1972 if you went in to the dealership and ordered an optioned out Renegade II package you got things like a new for that year V8 engine, 4.27:1 diff gearing, and a limited slip equipped Dana 44 rear on a lightweight 83.5" wheelbase. The package actually meant something until 76. It was fun and quick on the street but still had great offroad ability... an all around capable vehicle that did whatever it wanted to do... a "Renegade". These were the specific models that most influenced Jeeping as it is today. People were offroading their jeeps before then, but very few people made drivers out of them. The all around performance of the special Jeeps, like the Renegade II and Super Jeep, along with their modern updates(for the time) like the new open knuckle D30 front, or the centered rear output D20 Tcase and the accompanying D44 rear axle, the bigger rear mounted fuel tank, saginaw steering design, better interior design as far as the pedals and steering column go, and bigger brakes all contributed greatly to the change from a straight old under-powered little farm vehicle into what we drive around today.

Fast forward 35 years and new Jeep is slapping that great name on this hunk of plastic crap. It was bad enough what they did to the Renegade name with the fat fendered YJ version, but this is stupid. New Jeep sucks.

I agree that Jeep should try to keep a more manly image, but I personally don't think this new Renegade is that bad.

Remember this guy:

Attachments

• pink_jeep.jpg
    pink_jeep.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 224
Back