Wheeling on sand

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking about doing some wheeling at the beach this weekend, and will be on sand for the first time. Anyone have some good stories about getting stuck / breaking stuff in sand?

I remember climbing a sand hill on poison spider mesa once. It was late in the season after a series of rains. The sand appeared solid but just rolled out from under the tires as I attempted to climb that hill. Easy to go down but impossible to climb.

IMG_0694-1.jpg

Getting mired in... (Never let the dog drive...)

Oh wait... You said, "Beach..."

I've never wheeled sand, but I imagine the standard is to air down as low as possible and don't spin the tires. You should be able to air down lower than normal since there won't be much chance of rolling the bead off the rim. You could probably get down to 7 psi or so. If you get stuck, toss the floor mats under the tires.

Been a sand buff for over 20+ years, used to go to the Imperial sand Dunes on the California/Arizona border all the time during the winter months.
Running the dunes isn't that hard, but its hard on automatic transmissions, it generates extra heat like mad.

First rule is air down about 2/3 from normal pressure 12 or so. You still can blow a bead in sand. The trick is it drop into 4 hi and keep a steady foot all the time as you drive since you don't have a blown hemi under the hood that could throw 30 foot roosters with 12 blade paddles. Momentum is the name of the game here. Good speed and drive like your flowing with the dunes. Avoid straight on transitions if you can.

When you stop you want to be facing down a hill if possible. Dune ridges are best cut with a hard angle. Two types, razor back are A frame looking ridge and you want to hit them at a 45 degree or better. The other type is called table tops, these dunes have a slight transition from the hill part to the top then about 3-4 foot to-wards the windward side you face a 3 foot drop called the witches eyebrow. Its always best to cut them at 60 degrees or so.
If you drop into a bowl looking area, best thing is to give it gas and run the bowl down along the side and right out the other lip.

Getting stuck...it will happen some time. Carpet rems are a good thing to carry with a shovel. Metal ramps are better if you can afford them.

I live at the beach, it's where I have done most of my "offroading". It's depends on what the weather is like, and how moist and compacted the sand is, but after you get used to it... it's easy running either way.

Before the police started constantly patrolling the north end at Carolina Beach, we used to go down there and drag race our trucks all the time in the sand. Kind of boring now though, with the speed limits and the constant threats of getting ticketed for careless and reckless driving. Let a couple of dumbasses endo their Jeeps off a dune or run over a sea turtle nest and it ruins it for everyone. I miss that scene a whole lot. It was a weekly party(all weekend) on the beach. Big camp fire at night, lots of booze, loud music, hot half-dressed women running around everywhere... Now it's mostly populated with fisherman who expect you to drive by them at 5mph and they act like throwing a rooster tail is worse than if you had just walked up and punched them in the nose.

Getting stuck in the sand tip... IF you get stuck and don't have anything to winch to (another rig, tree, etc.) Take your spare tire off your jeep, hook your winch cable to the spare, and bury it in the sand. Creates a great anchor point if there is nothing else available.

ahh, I ended up not going. I'm was pretty bummed, thinking I would not find out all the "secret beach trails" in NC, until I found out they are posted public access, and can be found on the state's website. I'll be heading down there before the beaches close in April though.

Oregon Inlet is open year round, as well as some beaches further down past Rodanthe and stuff. The two big things are air down, like normal, and momentum. Be easy on it when trying to take off from a stop too.

I have been down to the outer banks with my YJ. Best time I ever had. 70 Miles of Beach to Drive on. Watch yourself when you enter most places you have to get over the dune protecting the road. In some places its steep and the sand is loose. Air way down and make sure thiers no one in your way to stop you. Then go for it. I found third gear and low on the transmission box worked better on this obstacle then high. Then when you get up and over you can switch back to high. Keep that monetum going and if you get stuck even for a second back up on your own tracks about thirty feet and give it a go again.

Otherwise you can drink beer, smoke, have a dog, run naked, play load music, and do whatever the hell you want as far from people as you want to get. Just dont get stuck below the high water line when your alone. The NPS shows pictures on thier website of what happens when the tide comes in. Unless you like salt water in your engine and you would like to find out if you could really float with really big tires its not a good a good idea.

You know, I totally missed that thread, great pictures! I'm definately going now, I just have to get off my butt.

It's south of Nags Head, NC

You guys and gals back East have all the fun....I'm jealous!! As far as the Oregon Inlet, ours is California, Idaho and Washington!!:purple:...and at times is not so good being open year 'round:purple: :purple: ....LBR

Back