Made into the newspaper today

currupt4130

VT Hokie
With an opinion column:

I would like to try and level with the author of the letter to the editor "Concealed Carry Unnecessary" (CT, Feb. 12).

We've all heard all the arguments that are pro-CCW. Yes, we know that CCW holders are responsible, are 5.7 times less likely to commit a crime, and have passed an extensive background check that certifies that they have no felony or drug convictions and no recorded history of mental illness.

And we can dismiss the concern that those who carry concealed are just going to "snap" one day, because as has been previously stated, time has proven otherwise. It just doesn't happen. It has also been said that responsible citizens are not going to endanger their right to carry by brandishing their weapon in an obscene and illegal fashion.

What I would like to contend is that concealed weapons are in a way like smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. How many times in your life have you had to rely on your smoke detector to let you know there was a fire? Not many, if at all, I hope. But for those people that have, I'm sure they were glad it was there because it may have inevitably saved their lives. We all remember the incident in Collegiate Suites where the girls were poisoned because of a carbon monoxide leak.

Had they had carbon monoxide detectors prior to that incident, chances are they wouldn't have been hospitalized. However, they didn't. And what did Collegiate Suites do immediately afterwards? They installed CO detectors.

Not because Collegiate Suites thought that it was going to happen again, but because Collegiate Suites deemed it necessary to the safety of their occupants. Now personally, I don't have a carbon monoxide detector where I live, nor do I have one at my home away from Blacksburg. But some people choose to install them, and possibly more people chose to install them immediately following the incident in Collegiate Suites.

My point is this: guns are not necessary to every single person on campus, just as carbon monoxide detectors are not necessary to every home. Some people may install them when there is very little risk of a carbon monoxide leak, while others install them because there is a very real danger of one. Here on campus some people may not feel that there is a need for guns, while others, such as myself, feel that if I want to carry a concealed weapon on campus, I should be allowed to. What a lot of people seem to forget about concealed weapons is that they are concealed. If I were to illegally walk into a classroom with a properly concealed weapon, no one would ever know unless I told them or showed them.

Granted, I would never do that, but hopefully you understand my point.

Another point I would like to make is that all the anti-gun advocates seem to blow allowing concealed weapons on campus way out of proportion. They seem to think that if it was allowed, that every single student would go out and buy a handgun, and get their CCW permit. In reality, do you think this would ever happen?

There are plenty of anti-gun advocates, plenty of underage students, and plenty who just don't feel the need to carry, who would never go out and get a gun and their CCW permit. Allowing concealed guns on campus would no more heighten anxiety than the number of rough-looking construction workers on campus does. The simple saying, "Out of sight, out of mind" seems to sum up what I'm trying to say about law-abiding CCW holders carrying on campus.

Sam Stephens
junior, mechanical engineering

That was a reply to this, written by another student.

A recent letter to the editor said that "Taking away someone's gun because they might shoot someone is like cutting out their tongue because they might yell 'fire!' in a crowded theater."

This is a fairly apt analogy, but for one thing, a tongue can be used for many other things besides yelling "fire" -- eating, for instance, or reciting poetry or yelling to stop a car from striking a pedestrian.

However, to borrow a phrase from author Gary Paulson, the sole use of a gun is to punch holes in other human beings. There is no need for anybody to secretly carry around campus devices designed expressly to maim and kill. If handguns are allowed on campus, then we may as well allow people to bring in bombs, nerve gas and rabid attack dogs. No matter how "safe" that vial of drug-resistant anthrax makes me feel, it still has no place in the classroom. The same is true for firearms.

Rachel Taylor
sophomore, mathematics

Since I do have a CCW, I will never be without it. I dont carry because I think something will happen, I carry because I hope I will never need it. Granted, I have a very biased opinion having a military background, and, my sister-in-law was carjacked at gunpoint just a few months ago. I hope I never have to use it, but I want the choice of being able to have it to save my families, or my, life.

I too have a CCW license and I carry it whenever possible because of the same reasons state by Itchee96. I have handled handguns and rifles since I was 16 years old. Served 4 years in the US Marine Corps. Qualified as an expert rifleman. Even though I have been out for many years, I still feel I have a personal responsibility to protect those around me.

I personally see both sides of the issue. Since the pro-carry on campus side seems well represented here, I'll pose the questions that disturb me. I remember being a college student and knowing lots of college students. College students are young, and sometimes prone to making bone-headed mistakes. That's especially true when they're under the influence of various intoxicants, which, rumor has it, are readily available on college campuses. Would you agree that it's possible that a student who happens to usually carry a concealed weapon responsibly might decide to imbibe one too many one night, and then make an irresponsible decision with his loaded handgun when a fight breaks out in the frat house, or he sees someone with his ex-girlfriend, or he thinks it would be cool to shoot cups of beer off a pledge's head, or whatever? The headlines are full of the tragic consequenses of stupid decisions that young people make--especially when under the influence. How much would the consequences be multiplied if they had firearms readily available?

I personally see both sides of the issue. Since the pro-carry on campus side seems well represented here, I'll pose the questions that disturb me. I remember being a college student and knowing lots of college students. College students are young, and sometimes prone to making bone-headed mistakes. That's especially true when they're under the influence of various intoxicants, which, rumor has it, are readily available on college campuses. Would you agree that it's possible that a student who happens to usually carry a concealed weapon responsibly might decide to imbibe one too many one night, and then make an irresponsible decision with his loaded handgun when a fight breaks out in the frat house, or he sees someone with his ex-girlfriend, or he thinks it would be cool to shoot cups of beer off a pledge's head, or whatever? The headlines are full of the tragic consequenses of stupid decisions that young people make--especially when under the influence. How much would the consequences be multiplied if they had firearms readily available?

This is a scene that is all too played out by everyone. First off, drinking very rarely goes on on campus by people that would be of age to even own a handgun. Any drinking that happens on campus happens illegally in the dorms. Off campus, where most of the drinking happens, it is also legal to own and carry a side arm. There hasn't been an incident of drunk frat boys shooting cans of pledges heads as far as I know.

Also, as far as alcohol and guns goes, anyone responsible enough to get their CCW should know that the primary rule concerning carrying is that you never carry when under any influence of alcohol, be it one drink or two.

Doing anything to compromise one's permit is the last thing any permit holder wants to do. It's a huge responsibility and a privilege that someone who carries would not want to compromise, period.

Also, as far as fighting goes, anyone carrying knows the last thing you want to do is provoke some kind of confrontation.

Last edited:
Out of the 48 states that allow people to own a CCW permit, none of them just give them away. Personally I know Arizona makes you take 32 hours to initially get the permit and 10 hours every five years as a refresher.

Now Utah is a wee bit more relaxed...and thats all I will say on that issue. But these classes don't teach you how to shoot, they teach you the laws of having a CCW. When you can and can not draw your weapon, during Arizona's CCW class we spent 16 hours just learning when we can and can not defend ourselves. You seriously think after going through this class some one who has gone through the trouble will jeopardize his gun rights to be intoxicated with a fire arm? A class 5 felony. Shooting cans off pledges heads...endangerment with a fire arm? A class 3 felony.

Criminals know where the undefended are...and college campus's are good pickings.

Doing anything to compromise one's permit is the last thing any permit holder wants to do. It's a huge responsibility and a privilege that someone who carries would not want to compromise, period.

Also, as far as fighting goes, anyone carrying knows the last thing you want to do is provoke some kind of confrontation.
:agree:

It all boils down to RESPONSIBLITY. You have to be 21 to own and possess a handgun. You have to pass a background check. All a gun permit does is allow a responsible, law abiding citizen the right to carry and protect himself. People are confusing this as anyone, i.e., an 18 year old straight out of high school, will be packing in class. BS. I am not saying the process is foolproof by no means, but I just want the choice, and RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. If you havent read the Constitution yet, how about doing so as your American duty. Once again, if people don't like the way our country is, MOVE.

On that note, we should also not allow students to own cars in case they make a "bone-headed mistake" and drive drunk and and we should spay/ neuter them so they don't get drunk and spread STD's.

Taking away people's rights under the guise of protecting them is NOT a path we want to go down.

.....................Taking away people's rights under the guise of protecting them is NOT a path we want to go down.

Way too many generalities in this thread (on both sides) for me to get involved, but that statement just couldn't be ignored!:shock: :shock: :shock: Is this not the path we've been taking for the last 8 years (if not longer)?!?!?!?! Trust me, we've got a WHOLE lot more to worry about than concealed carry.

When "they" cart me off to Guantanamo, you'll know what I mean. Free speech may be next.:evil: :evil:

i.e: My 85 year old mother flies down to see us. We take her to the airport for the return flight. Wheel her to "Security" in a wheelchair and watch as she hobbles through the metal detector, beepers screaming..........2 knee replacements and numerous other pins, screws, and such inside.........and she has to lay her cane aside as they "wand" her........assuring us all that she's not a "terrorist". Yeah.............protect me..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's just the beginning. As long as we choose to buy into the BS and live in fear, "they've" got us by the jewels.

Last edited:
Haven't you guys figured out that the only people in this country with rights are the accused. Geez, accept it and get in line already.

You know what I thought was ironic when I was in college at the University of Alabama; weapons were not allowed on campus yet the indoor shooting range for the rifle team was located right in the middle of campus. Go figure.

BTW...I only missed the beer cans a few times.

i.e: My 85 year old mother flies down to see us. We take her to the airport for the return flight. Wheel her to "Security" in a wheelchair and watch as she hobbles through the metal detector, beepers screaming..........2 knee replacements and numerous other pins, screws, and such inside.........and she has to lay her cane aside as they "wand" her........assuring us all that she's not a "terrorist". Yeah.............protect me..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's just the beginning. As long as we choose to buy into the BS and live in fear, "they've" got us by the jewels.

My dad and I were on the way back from Miami and were waiting in the security line. There was some old lady in the handicapped waiting zone that was crying her eyes out. God only knows why, but they were treating her like crap... It made me sick... No one would pay any attention to her, she wasn't even there as far as TSA was concerned.

My dad and I were on the way back from Miami and were waiting in the security line. There was some old lady in the handicapped waiting zone that was crying her eyes out. God only knows why, but they were treating her like crap... It made me sick... No one would pay any attention to her, she wasn't even there as far as TSA was concerned.

Well, I'm sure you felt "protected".:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Makes me sick..........the "home of the brave" is slowly being led down the path of "the home of the scared sh#tless"...........

Kinda how I feel about all the "concealed carry" stuff..........I don't and won't "carry".................but I'll defend to the death your right to do it (just don't shoot ME!!!:shock: :shock: :shock: HAHAHA). Anyway, I think that's what our founding fathers had in mind.............not frisking crippled senior citizens at the airport. Thank God Bush is gone soon..............please God, let us choose more wisely next time.

Once again, Jeepz provides my favorite form of political entertainment... Republicans and Democrats coming together to ***** and moan about their rights being taken away. lol

I support and love my right to arm myself, and I would be willing to fight for it right along side you guys. But just for the sake of arguing about "rights"... the next time you Republicans want to cry, think about your war on drugs, where a man can lose everything he owns and spend time in a federal prison for doing something that harms nobody but themselves. Or how about Terry Shiavo, where you guys wanted to take away her and her husbands rights... where you guys glazed over and disrespected the sanctity of marriage, after spending decades trying to promote it. You Dems can ponder your support for things like taxing the hell out of me because you don't think I should be able to smoke a cigarette, or do anything else that you don't personally approve of.

Mine will be! :D I've been holding out for a XD45 Compact, holster, and my CCW.

There are many examples of why a person should carry, but I'm not going into detail. The only point I want to make being that I also carry legally is if someone on any one of these campus's recently could have very well saved lives. I live in Killeen, google luby's massacre in Killeen Texas and read one of the many articles. I am not against certain restrictions, but don't punish all legal CCW holders because someone else bought a gun to cause intentional harm, like someone said before, ban cars because of a few irresponsible drunks go off and kill someone. Its sad that it happens, but no one is calling to ban cars, the fact is, crime has went down in texas since concealed carry has passed. PUnks now realize that the person their robbing may just be packing as well. Think about it.

To turn this argument on a tangent for a second or three...
As many of you know I love a good political discussion (argument).
Not only do I follow this entertainment in print but I do it in real life with my friends.
Now most of us here agree with a persons right to Carry concealed, and getting the guns off the street is imposable as is taking them away from legal owners. That point has been argued to death.
But I have been disturbed by the recent rash of campus shootings along with other highly published gun crimes.
My wife, friends and others have talked about how to control guns and those who can get access to them. With nothing less than a country wide gun registry and some sort of national policy that you have to show some sort of ID to own them, nothing comes to mind on how to control them. Many here will argue not to allow this, and so far my little groups has argued this issue to death as well.

But one little suggestion has been plaguing me, what about the ammo...
Could we possibly build a national data base where people would have to register to buy ammo, where you have to pass a back ground check and metal stability check before you can purchase ammo?

Back