VIAIR any good?

jonsolbe

Any opinions on the VIAIR setup? Is there any reason a guy needs a tank, or is a $150 compressor enough. Should I spend the extra $100 and get the complete setup with tank and guage?

What are you trying to do? If it's just inflating some 31 inch tires, you'll be fine, but if you're running air tools, you'll need a tank.

I ended up getting a cheapo from harbor freight. It probably takes longer than a viair, but it works fine, and only cost $70

As Terry states its a matter of what your wanting to do with with your air set-up, I run a 450C viar set up with a 2.5 gal tank to fill my 35 inch tires and run my ARB's. The tank allows me extra stored air/pressure to run my ARB's without having the compressor run every time I throw the ARB switch.

The 450C is not a high volume compressor and it doesn't allow me to run air tools like a grinder, but I have enough pressure to run an impact gun for the tires and enough stored air pressure to re-seat tires onto my rims if needed.

If your thinking this is what you want to do with your on-board air system then look for one of their C compressors, the C stands for continuous use.
Most others are only rated for 33% of the time, meaning that you should only run them for about 20 minutes out of an hour or they will over heat.

Back