Weird encounter with an LEO

currupt4130

VT Hokie
Holocene stay out, this isn't a bash the LEO's thread.

So it goes like this. Last night I had to pull an all nighter for a test this morning. Since I had to be on campus all day today, I figured I'd try and catch some sleep after my test and before my lab. Since I have recently discovered the comforts of my ENO hammock, I took it along with me.

I got out of my test and headed to the drill field. I proceeded to locate two suitable trees, string up some nylon webbing and hang my hammock. I promptly got comfortable and fell asleep. About two hours later I heard a voice from above me.

"Excuse me sir"

As I stumble out of slumber "Yes?"

"What are you doing?"

"Well I... I had an all nighter last night and was catching some sleep after my test before my next class. Is there a problem?"

"Well you aren't allowed to hang you're hammock here. It is unusual and potentially disturbing. It could freak some people out and since April 16th is coming up we're trying to keep that to a minimum. You understand what I mean?"

"Not really, I was just sleeping officer. But if you feel I need to take it down that's no problem."

"I'd appreciate it if you did. We just don't want people getting uncomfortable and this is very unusual and has the potential to cause some commotion."

"No problem sir, I'll take it right down."

At least the officer had good timing, my buddy was walking up as the officer was leaving. We were about to go to lunch anyway.

Now my gripe is this. Where did I pose any threat or cause some kind of unease? What threat did I convey? I know it's slightly unusual but people nap on the drill field all the time, just not in hammocks.

For those not familiar with the hammock, here is what it is:

image-missing.png

So I was strung up in the middle of campus on that. What threat did I pose? I'm so confused... I've written a letter to the newspaper and plan on contacting someone higher up to talk about it. But jesus...

Uhh, sounds petty to me. This country has gotten so limp wristed its pathetic. I pity our country in about 30 years when our younger youth takes control as politicians. Granted, I am in no way saying all of our youth is like that.

Sounds weird to throw up a hammock on campus, but if you didn't see weird stuff around campus, then thats the time to become concerned.

I mean, it is a little weird, but it's a pack hammock. It packs down to the size of a softball so it's not like it was hard to take. It's just more comfortable than laying on the ground, by a long shot.

They probably don't want the campus littered with hammocks, then come tents, where do you draw the line? You should have laid a blanket on the ground and fell asleep with a book on your face ;)

I thought everyone talks about it being a "free" country?

I'll bet some moron with nothing better to do, called in on you and said you were hung over or drunk and the "man" had to come check you out and when he determined you were not drunk, he had to get you to move on

Is sleeping on the grounds mentioned in the student policy book?

It seems FEAR has permeated our society......9-11??? Bush??? "Homeland Security"???.......Who the heck knows where it came from, but it really sucks. I just wonder what happened to the "home of the brave". :?| :?|

If you can't be unusual and weird in college where the heck can you? :?|

I understand it is a sensitive subject, but come-on, someone laying in a hammock is goona get someone nervous?

I bet the kids playing Frisbie were asked to stop cause it will be 60 years since the area 51 siting and don't want to get anyone nervous that UFO's are coming.

It seems a little excessive to me too dude. Sorry that happened to you. At least the guy didn't totally freak out and try to push on you some idiotic charge.

Yea... It was gorgeous today so in the spirit of not letting the man keep me down I went over to the duckpond and set up camp between two trees for a couple hours. Got lots of compliments and even had my picture taken by a guy.

Sounds to me like you were putting yourself at risk. Last time I took a nap in a hammock, I got hit in the nads with a hickory nut. Of course, it's spring time and not much chance of that happening.
It wasn't the same cop who yelled at the kids who were skate boarding was it?

Back