Jeep Commander discontinued in 2009

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Chrysler will drop the slow-selling Jeep Commander in mid-2009. That’s the word from insiders who asked not to be named because the decision has not been officially announced. The cancellation is blamed on high gas prices and changing consumer buying patterns which have significantly reduced demand for large SUVs.

Introduced in 2005, Commander sales hit a peak of 88,497 in 2006, its first full year on the market, but dropped to 63,027 units last year. At the pace set in the first quarter of 2008, annual sales are forecast to be about 36,000 units.

While it is unusual for a model to be axed before its first production cycle is completed, sources say Chrysler didn’t realize the market for large SUV’s would contract as quickly as it has or that it would take so many sales from the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Company executives at the former DaimlerChrysler had believed the Commander, which is larger than the Grand Cherokee, would take sales from, or at least keep potential customers from migrating to, other full-size SUVs like the Ford Expedition and Chevrolet Suburban.

Cancellation of the Commander makes it the fifth model to be cut from Chrysler’s lineup since Cerberus purchased the automaker from Daimler AG last year. Chrysler President James Press has already said the company has twice as many SUV models as it needs.

*quoted from Allpar

Attachments

• 304894_465312_616_407_commander_startpage.jpg
    304894_465312_616_407_commander_startpage.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 13,022
Last edited:

tis a shame really as it could have been a big seller if it had been marketed right.

Germans for you I suppose.

the poor gas mileage as an excue doesn't wash as there are oother SUVs out there that drink more gas but are still selling lots.

the beginning of the end for jeep? I hope not

my wife and I looked at one of these when they first came out, we ended up buying a durango because the lay out of these vehicles is awful, there was absolutly no leg room for the front row, let along the rear most seats, I say good riddens and put the engineering gurus back to work putting a V8 into a solid front axle wrangler

Well, OK, DC.................how 'bout bringin' back the XJ???

Well, mixed emotions here, I have been trying to sway the spouse on getting one in a few years, either that or a used hummer but she ain't biting right now. I have my truck and TJ but it would have been nice to have another suv/Jeep in the fam. Oh well, I don't think I will replace her vehicle for at least two more years anyway.

all of it or just a controlling share?

Beijing Jeep here we come

Controlling share I believe.
In Greek mythology, Cerberus was the hound of Hades, a monstrous three-headed dog with a snake for a tail and snakes down his back like a mane, whose analogs in other cultures are hellhounds. Cerberus guarded the gate to Hades and ensured that spirits of the dead could enter, but none could exit.

Controlling share I believe.

thats what i thought. Chrysler are dumping car and Jeep models like crazy the Crossfire is gone too and the local stealer reckons the Compass is the next to go.

He also said that in his opinion ( not the dealerships) that the Commander was finished in the Uk last November without an announcement, new brochures for GC and Patriot are out but nothing for Commander.

Jeep is still a Chrysler product but Chrysler is no longer owned by Daimler. I think that's right.

Back