Question--How Much Does My Jeep Weigh?

Crusader

Hey Guys:

I have a 1985 CJ7 with the 6-cylinder engine, and no hard top. The tires, I believe are either 30 or 31 x 10.5 (I don't know for certain, and the Jeep is out of town, otherwise I would check), so they add some weight over the stock tires.

Can someone tell me approximately what it weighs? The reason I ask, is, I am considering towing it and the maximum towing weight for the hitch is 3500pounds. So, if someone can help me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

Don't know if this will help, but here's a link I googled to:

CJ7 Main Base Page

I'm thinking you could get a tow-bar and flat tow it, and weight concerns would go away. Otherwise, with the weight of the Jeep and the weight of the trailer, I think you're pushing (or exceeding) the limits of your hitch. Maybe someone else has a more informed answer.

I just got back from flat towing my yj from moab and you dont need to worry bout the weight unless you use a trailer. assuming you have a big enough tow rig. my jeep weights 4500 w/o me or gas, but thats with alot of 2x4 metal and bigger axles and no hardtop. if you have a truck just slap a towbar on her and be gone.

Sorry, guys, I think I should have been more clear in asking my question. I want to tow the Jeep using a tow bar, which I have (5000# weight limit), and my Dad's Explorer (V8 engine, with I think about a 5000# tow weight limit, too). However, the hitch on the Explorer has the 3500# tow weight limit. So, does that clarification help any with your responses?

Thanks!

not a problem. the hitch will only see maybe a couple hundred lbs. stopping is always the hard part so just take it easy and all will be fine.

In Colorado, the registration card for the car has the weight at the point of sale on it. It would give you a starting point...

Did you tell us about your experience in Moab, Dave?

Last edited:
Back