Winch Capability: 2000lb winch + Jeep Yj = ?

Stolz Jeeper

Hey guys i just got a 2000 lb winch for cheap cheap from a buddy of mine. Im not sure how much my jeep weighs but i know its over a ton (Jeep Yj 89). I was thinkin of mounting it on the bumper and using it in muddy situations since i seem to like to stuck. Do you think that if pulled myself from, say a tree, while driving the winch would be able to get me unstuck without breaking. i figure the 2000 lbs is for just a dead weight and if it pulled me while spinnin tires the winch wouldnt be doing all the work. All you need is just to start moving and then the tires will do the work i'd say. If anyone has an opinion please throw it out there. id like to do this soon. if possible

No. If you're stuck in the mud, you're probably going to be pulling at least 3/4 of, if not all of your weight with the winch. If you're stuck on an uphill, add more. 8,000 is the minimum anyone ever reliably goes on a Jeep. I don't know why I didn't just type a big red no...

x x xxxxxx
x x x x x
x x x x x
x x x x x
x x x x x
x x x x x
x x xxxxxxx !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry couldn't make it RED LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Put the 2k on a trailer or ATV, 8k minimum for a jeep.

The chances of somebody getting injured will increase by using an underpowered winch.

bone stock open top jeeps GVW comes in at a hair over 4K lbs, rolling resistance on flat grade is somewhere around 400lbs if you ad grade, you need to mulitply by the force of gravity which is I think 9.8 Newtons, Mud is even more force in the oposite direction so..

so ya, you need a bigger winch, someone is bound to get hurt.

I saw on one of the offroad shows that the suggestion was to use a winch rated at 1.5 times your vehicle weight-loaded. 4000# Jeep = 6000# winch minimum.
I think you will burn the motor up on your 2k winch.

Now for a short rant:
I don't know why people spend thousands of dollars building up Jeeps and then want to skimp on the winch. Come on. I know they are pricey, but this is the one thing that could mean the difference in sleeping in your Jeep and making it home at night. We've all been there.
For the extreme wheelers, winches are even more important. Guys are building Jeeps capable of going further than most people have the guts to push them. In one of these Jeeps, odds are if you need the winch at all, you need it to save your scrawny butt. Do you really want to hang off the side of a mountain on an underated, Chinese, knockoff winch? Not me.

bone stock open top jeeps GVW comes in at a hair over 4K lbs, rolling resistance on flat grade is somewhere around 400lbs if you ad grade, you need to mulitply by the force of gravity which is I think 9.8 Newtons, Mud is even more force in the oposite direction so..

so ya, you need a bigger winch, someone is bound to get hurt.

Pounds and Newtons belong only in the same discussion if you're talking about conversions. The pound is a measure of force, while the kilogram is a measure of mass, and newton is a measure of force. The force of gravity is 9.8 meters per square second. The force of gravity is also 32.2 feet per square second. Pounds and Newtons include gravity, slugs and kilograms do not. I'm not trying to be an ass but don't spout off random numbers and terms if you don't know what you're talking about.

Pounds and Newtons belong only in the same discussion if you're talking about conversions. The pound is a measure of force, while the kilogram is a measure of mass, and newton is a measure of force. The force of gravity is 9.8 meters per square second. The force of gravity is also 32.2 feet per square second. Pounds and Newtons include gravity, slugs and kilograms do not. I'm not trying to be an ass but don't spout off random numbers and terms if you don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, what he said. :???: (hmmm...i wonder if we have any fig newtons:rolleyes:)

Watch out, he's pulling out the physics on ya...

I remember gravity being 9.8 meters per second square from high school physics. Thinking back on it, I'm really not sure exactly what that means. How do you square a second?

guess your reading eyes are left at home.. it clearly says in my initial post

force of gravity which is I think 9.8 Newtons.

Sorry if I offended your greater intellegence, has been 15 years since I graduated from college so the info is not as fresh in my mind as yours.

also if your so smart, explain this
1114d1205618807t-im-gonna-let-every-get-good-laugh-dsc00667.jpg

All in Good fun! I was trying to be sarcastic up there...

Hee Hee.

I believe he was involved in an experiment to see if the gravitational pull toward the couch was intensified as alcohol was added to the equation. While the theory was proven, the test subject did not anticipate that the volume of alcohol required would incapacitate him for X amount of seconds square. Fortunately for the experiment, his associates were there to take notes on his appendages.

Last edited:

A meter per square second is a measure of acceleration, or change in velocity per unit of time. So since velocity is distance per unit of time, acceleration is distance per unit of (timeXtime) or time^2.

Sorry if I came across as an ass. My point was meters are a metric unit, the newton is a unit of force not acceleration, and that acceleration is distance per time squared, units based on what system you're operating in.

So you are saying that 9.8 meters per second square is how fast it accelerates until it hits its max speed or terminal velocity.

...wondering at this point why I even care.

Regardless of the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow, be it European or African, a 2,000 pound capacity winch won't cut the mustard on any Jeep (except maybe one of those kid-size battery-powered plastic Jeeps).

For those with a lot of time on their hands, and for those that wish to be made knowledgable on winching properly and safely, tune your web browser to this webpage: Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive. Happy reading!

Back