Summer Plans

JeepMonkey

I'm stuck in Augusta, Ga all summer so I won't be doing any wheeling. :(

Does anyone have an big plans for trail rides or anything else cool? I know with the price of gas I probably wouldn't have done much anyway, but I'd have at least made a camping trip or two.

I'M sick about spending the money for gas, but going to Fair Play CO. with three-four other couples July 19, to do some trails. About a 2000 mile round trip but we all figure we won't be able to afford it all next year. :?|

I'm done with summer for the most part. Been working all summer, have to go back to summer school on the 27th. After summer classes I'm trying to go to Kentucky to go do some climbing, but other than that no wheeling trips. Diesel is too expensive to tow my junk anywhere...

I am heading up north to my property the last week of July... Open invite, friends, family, come as you are, stay as you like, leave when you want. Can't wait, I could use the getaway, and it's been about 2-3 years since I was last up there, and over a year since Jeepy's seen anything besides potholes and cracked cement...

Still not sure how I'm going to get 4 tires on the Jeep in a month, let alone the gas for the 500 mile round trip, food, so on, and so forth, but I'll make it happen... Sometimes, you just have to... I try not to do the math in my head of just what the fuel cost is going to be :evil:

where in MI? I'm heading up to Mich. Tech in mid- August for school, maybe I could drop by and check some stuff out of course if i am invited.

Between Indian River and Onaway... About 8 miles off exit 310 in Cheboygan County. It's always good to meet other Jeepers. I'm trying to remember, as near as I can recall, it's a bit of a ways from Michigan Tech... It's a 4 1/2-5 hour drive for me from Metro Detroit.

Ohh ok I see where it is ( google gotta love it) yea, I'm gonna be seein family in Cadillac then I'll make my trek up to the U.P, I am coming from VA so.... but yea if you guys are still gonna be up there like the 21-22 I would love to drop by. I only have a stock 96 zj so I'm not expecting to do much other than watch and hang out.

Some friends and I just got back from Disney, Oklahoma. Great wheelin there.
Parts of it was flooded, but still a good time.

Budgeting is important, but I have to go back-country. I have to cut back, but I am going when I can. Check the Events areas for some of the trail rides. 2 so far this season and another this coming weekend.

Big trip for me this year? I am running the Chicago marathon in October! I have completed my second week of training so far... 10 weeks to go!

this fall, Good Lord Willing, we are heading to the Kiamichi Mountains of Southeastern Oklahoma for some canoeing, relaxing, and maybe a Sasquatch expedition or two.
until then we are staying put maybe a few short camping trips here and there.

Are you serious? We have taken a solemn blood oath-sprinkled with eye of Newt-by the light of the moon -on a starry October night, to NEVER to go on vacation again, at least not with each other.
Did you ever see National Lampoon's Vacation? ( Minus Cristie Brinkley) THAT is how our family is.. I am not kidding. Totally serious.

The only reason we did not tie poor ole dead Aunt Bessie on the roof if because we didn't have her with us. Really, we just get out of control. Here at work everyone knows about our little family outings... it's embarrassing.

We went to the shore a few times... got lost EVERY time.. NO kidding. I know you won't believe this, but I have a husband who refuses to ask directions. HA!! :purple: This was pre-GPS mind you. ... the one year it took us FOUR hours to get there.. we are talking a 2 hour trip MAX.

Hubby took a "wrong turn" and refused to ask for help...my daughter kept insisting that "we took that same wrong turn the last year.!!"... "Oh my God, we are IDIOTS!!!"..... we kept telling her that NO we did not.

Well.. it was the trip from HELL... we vowed never again to go anywhere for any reason.

Well, we tried it again the next year.. this time mom would drive... GUESS WHAT? Hubby told me to turn at that same turn... I said NO. he said yes.... I knew it was wrong. I drove for 2 hours and insisted it was NOT right... he kept saying we were on the right track....I finally pulled in MdDonalds and went in and announced that I was traveling with a husband who had NO idea where we were going and refused to ask.. So it was up to me to save us.

This one nice lady broke the news to me , and I quote.. " Honey, you are almost at the border of New York...you aren't anywhere near Cape May Honey..."
WHATTTTT!!!!???? GRRRRRR... so, I went out and announced to the family that SURPRISE, we are now vacationing in New York!..

My husband acted very non-chalant and said.. "Oh for God's sake, you always have to overreact.... all we gotta do is ride down the coast ... and we are there."

After I blackened his eye, I then replied "YES, the ENTIRE COAST OF NEW JERSEY YOU STINKIN *@#!!... that's the whole way down that "side" !!!"

The kids are ready to take hostages at this point... the radio in the car did NOT work... the AC was on it's last legs..(94 Cherokee) it was at least 115 degrees out I swear. We took a turn and headed down the coast... then realized we were NOT on the right road. I insisted that we stop at the next hotel and ask directions.

By this time the kids were soaking wet with sweat and irritated as hell. p0p
14 year old Juanita was manning the registration desk in the hotel and we asked here where Route ? was and she said huh?? whuh? NEVER MIND! :x

We used the facilities and my kids stole every muffin/cookie they could find at the complimentary continental breakfast nook in the lobby... doin' their mama proud.......Pity the fool who tries to stop us.. we been on the road for about 4 hours and we were takin' no prisoners!

We went back out to the car and our oldest child made a run for it! She screamed that she "Hated every Friggin' (edited) one of us and "she hoped we all died in the hot car on the way to the shore!!!!!!!!!!!! "

I then told my hubby to walk across the road to the bus terminal to ask directions...I figured they would know where it was...NO, he said.. we'll just wing it.
I had to remove the stones from my kids hands as I was sure they were about to stone daddy clear to death right here in the parking lot of Howard Johnson's. I mean, he's a real weiner, but he doesn't deserve a stoning.. at least not yet.

After I personally threatened him, he asked for directions .... we were FINALLY on the right road.... cheer up kids, I can smell the sea water!!! or so I thought...

We got right and went about 5 miles when we were supposed to turn onto a major highway.... we went down the on ramp and guess what???? Brake lights as far as the eye can see.. and I mean for MILES!! My older child began speaking in tongues and I could have sworn I saw her head rotate 360 degrees.

It was at this crucial point of our journey the AC died.. along with our hopes and dreams.
My youngest declared that she was gonna puke and die , not necessarily in that order....
SHe was SOOO HOOOOTTTT, she can't stand it....
Dear Jonelle told her to shut her friggin' "pie hole" or ELSE!!
Dad is yelling at everyone to shut up or he is gonna "bust some friggin' heads!!" (I had to stop here and bust a gutt laughing.. just remembering...)

I told Kate she was sitting in the blazing sun.. move in the middle seat and then Jonelle said " If her friggin'(edited) clammy skin touches me, I will remove her EYES with this ice scraper !!!

So far so good.. ;)

I then announced that I , too, was going to vomit I was so hot and I had to pee really bad NOW. Traffic was crawling and since we had no radio, we had no idea why.
I told him to pull over as I was going to go in the grassy knoll on the side of the road.. he wouldn't have it.
Everyone on the road was enraged.. screaming, yelling at each other. There was a guy next to us in a "big rig" who was shouting out the window that he was gonna "kill that sum-*****" in front of him and proceeded to inch his truck up beside this guys rear quarter panel!! I was really getting nervous and the kids were shouting in unison out the window... "yeah! Kill him!! smash him!! YEAHHHH!!!!" p0p kids........

It took us 57 minutes ,on that hot parking lot of a highway, to go 1.5 miles to the first exit...that exit sign was like a sighting of Jesus Christ himself at this point....I think I remember weeping.

So, 6 HOURS later, we arrived at Cape May, New Jersey!!!! Thank GOD for Exit zero!!

We staggered out of the car, sick, wet and beaten down just as far as we could go... we stumbled into that cool hotel room and dropped all the bags... it was at this moment that my youngest, Kate, announced "Okay, who wants to HIT THE BEACH!!???"

Kate has never been seen or heard from since... and that, my friends, is why we don't do vacations. ;)

Leaving tonight, T-minus three hours... After Jeepy was in the shop for eight hours having the mysterious loss of brake fluid investigated... Rear brake cylinders, shot, both of 'em... Rear axle seals, shot... Which explains why my brakes have not been so impressive; it stops SO much better when there's not gear oil all over the brake drum. It's been one thing after another trying to get everything up to speed for this trip...

amuddyzj, you are, of course, more than welcome to pop on in, but as you can see, it's the week after the 21st that I'm leaving...

See you all in a week :D

Just came back from a ten day vacation in Florida. Stayed at a friend's place (owns some property in Florida, came in quite handy) and had a blast. Going to the beach, BBQ, party, etc. Was really good to get some rest before I have to go back to work if you know what I mean. Nice vacation, can't wait to do that again. Maybe I'll visit a friend in Charleston next Summer :shades:

I've got a few days left at Ft. Gordon (Augusta, GA). I've been here since Memorial weekend so I didn't get to have much fun this summer. I'll be driving back to CA next Tuesday. Roadtrips are always fun!

Back